bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh man! The first time my hubby met my grandparents (which was 10 days after meeting me in person the first time), he started to walk into their house with his shoes on. It was New Year's Eve way up in northern Alberta and his shoes were full of snow. I grabbed him by the arm luckily before he got too far into the house and onto the very light beige carpet. To this day, he's chagrined every time he thinks about it. He says that same things about the shoes..that there's no snow here, or very minimal and so your shoes don't get wet and yucky.

What about the dirt? Is there not dirt everywhere? Does it not get on your shoes and then in your house and carpet if you wear your shoes inside?! YUCK! I take my shoes off everywhere I go. The odd exception is if I'm somewhere where the host has their shoes on and it's a hardwood floor. I'm not sure why that makes a difference to me but it does!

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Although once in Metlakatla, we went to this fisherman's house and he had this long long shag carpet, and I took off my shoes and the carpet was soaking wet and soaked my socks.

I must say, I was half through this sentence and was thinking soft shag carpet, comfy on the feet. I could FEEL my feet sinking into it, based on the word 'shag' alone. I was very wrong. :( My feet are cold now.

I was doing the same thing, I love how nice thick carpet feels under my feet.

I'm really going to have to find one of those signs or get real artistic and make one.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Although once in Metlakatla, we went to this fisherman's house and he had this long long shag carpet, and I took off my shoes and the carpet was soaking wet and soaked my socks.

I must say, I was half through this sentence and was thinking soft shag carpet, comfy on the feet. I could FEEL my feet sinking into it, based on the word 'shag' alone. I was very wrong. :( My feet are cold now.

I was doing the same thing, I love how nice thick carpet feels under my feet.

I'm really going to have to find one of those signs or get real artistic and make one.

I think my first clue should have been the smell emanating from the house and the fact that my husband and his friend left their rubber boots on when walking through the sliding door. We had just gotten off the fishing boat.

Timeline

I don't understand the - there is no snow - thing. Yes, there is dirt on your shoes and why would you track it in to someone's home? I grew up in Singapore and there is no snow there and everyone took their shoes off at the door.

It's just bad manners as far as i'm concerned. We Canadian's are polite! (plus if that were true wouldn't we leave our shoes on in the summer?)

and just yuck about the shag carpet Cat!

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
I don't understand the - there is no snow - thing. Yes, there is dirt on your shoes and why would you track it in to someone's home? I grew up in Singapore and there is no snow there and everyone took their shoes off at the door.

It's just bad manners as far as i'm concerned. We Canadian's are polite! (plus if that were true wouldn't we leave our shoes on in the summer?)

and just yuck about the shag carpet Cat!

So very true

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Everyone here wears their shoes in the house!!! I sttttiiiilll don't understand why. Yes, they don't have snow here.. but we have nasty Georgia mud and it rains.. and gets in the carpets!

I now wear shoes in the house too.. I don't wanna walk around bare feet knowing that everyone else is tracking in ####### on the carpet. Once Eric and I get our own place, there will be a new rule: NOOOO wearing shoes in the house!!

Timeline

I don't know if everyone here does it but my inlaws do it and I had to TRAIN my husband not to do it.

Whenever i visit friends in Chicago all of them take their shoes off so I don't know if its the area or what. But around here, so far, people just don't take off their shoes.

Donne moi une poptart!

Everyone here wears their shoes in the house!!! I sttttiiiilll don't understand why. Yes, they don't have snow here.. but we have nasty Georgia mud and it rains.. and gets in the carpets!

I now wear shoes in the house too.. I don't wanna walk around bare feet knowing that everyone else is tracking in ####### on the carpet. Once Eric and I get our own place, there will be a new rule: NOOOO wearing shoes in the house!!

OMG THIS IS SO TRUE LORI!!!

Nick's mom...it's her day OFF, she's not even working and she walks around with her high heels on....all...day...long.

I'm like...Take those off and relax a bit!! I don't think I've ever seen her without shoes on. Maybe like once.

Nick does too, only for a little while after he gets home from someplace, then he takes them off. But yes, I notice a lot of people here wear their shoes in the house....

I don't get it. :wacko:

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Timeline

I agree with this.... It drives me crazy when people wear their shoes in the house (I am a bit of a germaphobe and clean freak :wacko: ) So I imagine all the dirt and germs being tracked through my house, then I imagine them going on my feet and I get so mad!!I know this sounds gross but when you go in a public bathroom there are dirty pee germs on your shoes and then someone wears them in your house, so you have pee in your house!! I know I sound crazy :lol:

I had to ask Glen to PLEASE take his shoes off at the door, we just got new carpet put in and I don't want it getting worn down and dirty!! When his family comes over they don't and I don't know how to ask them politely!! So I grin and bear it, as soon as they leave I pull out the vaccum :whistle:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
I agree with this.... It drives me crazy when people wear their shoes in the house (I am a bit of a germaphobe and clean freak :wacko: ) So I imagine all the dirt and germs being tracked through my house, then I imagine them going on my feet and I get so mad!!I know this sounds gross but when you go in a public bathroom there are dirty pee germs on your shoes and then someone wears them in your house, so you have pee in your house!! I know I sound crazy :lol:

I had to ask Glen to PLEASE take his shoes off at the door, we just got new carpet put in and I don't want it getting worn down and dirty!! When his family comes over they don't and I don't know how to ask them politely!! So I grin and bear it, as soon as they leave I pull out the vaccum :whistle:

:lol:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance's family doesn't wear their shoes in the house luckily. However, everyone wears slippers and his Mom always makes sure I'm wearing slippers. The no shoes things is definitely a cultural thing for them, they are filipino.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Man, I thought I was alone with this one!!! LOL

I remember last November when Eric came to visit me in Canada. He asked if he had to take his shoes off or not. I told him yeaaaaa.. my dad would kill you if you didn't! So, I took him to Wal Mart to buy a bag of socks because all of his had holes!

Maybe people are just trying to hide their nasty socks!?!?!? lol

Timeline
Maybe Americans have really ugly feet? Like hobbit feet. :P

:no: it's stinky feet.. that's what they have.. I blame all that cheese!! :lol:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
Maybe Americans have really ugly feet? Like hobbit feet. :P

:no: it's stinky feet.. that's what they have.. I blame all that cheese!! :lol:

And HFCS. I bet HFCS is a link to foot odor... if not... LET THE RUMOURS BEGIN!

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.