bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
"Nothing with a value over 500.00$ can be sent to Canada"

####### IS THIS #######?!

I've known people to send their rings halfway across the world, but these idiots wont let it cross the Canadian border?!

I want my ring :( I have no idea when I will be down there, we are too broke to travel before the move...(ie not able to spend Xmas together - whole 'nother vent entirely).

Alright, 'm good for now.

Jen

:wow: gah....

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Jenni - It probably sucks not having your ring, but it's probably for the best, i wouldn't trust UPS with something of that value ever.

My vent is that it took me 1 hour to complete the freaking DS160 online - I timed out 3 times!!!

I finally finished and went to the post office to mail off the checklist and DS230 Part 1, but geez that took way longer than I thought it would. I guess I should consider that typical in this process!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Jenni,

Sounds like whoever you spoke to was misinformed. Did you happen to take it to a UPS store? I work at one in Canada and know that sending to the states, we can only insure a ring up to $500, but we can certainly send it! The UPS Stores don't always give the best training and its easy to be given the wrong information...

If you didn't take it to a UPS Store, then just ignore all of that :P

I'm having a royally shite day..

Called DoS again...STILL nothing...I know people have waited a lot longer for interviews, i'm just cranky..

But my main vent is about UPS...

So when I was down in September, I took my engagement ring to the jewellry store to have it checked for problems. It had to be done 6 months afterthe purchase, and it was needed to keep the lifetime warrenty active on the ring. The woman noticed that the diamond was loose in the setting, so she said she had to send it away to the crafter to get it tightened. SHe said it would be at least a week. So I had to leave before it was done. Bo was going to send it up (insured of course) when he sent me the papers I need for the interview. So he went in today and the worker said that he needed additional paperwork because the ring was over 3,000$. He asked what he needed...and she didnt know. So her supervisor told her to call UPS in Canada to see what the requirements were...

They said

"Nope, you can't send it at all"

Uhh...pardon?

"Nothing with a value over 500.00$ can be sent to Canada"

####### IS THIS #######?!

I've known people to send their rings halfway across the world, but these idiots wont let it cross the Canadian border?!

I want my ring :( I have no idea when I will be down there, we are too broke to travel before the move...(ie not able to spend Xmas together - whole 'nother vent entirely).

Alright, 'm good for now.

Jen

In all honestly Jen, I wouldn't be sending an engagement ring through anything other than personal delivery! Yikes, what if they lost it? Who cares what then the insurance is, you won't have your ring, the original one.

The rest of your vent which you didn't go into...not spending time at Christmas together might be the real reason why not having your ring is so distressing.

I'm sorry to hear about your crappy day. HUGS!

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Agreed. I tell my mother not to send me anything in the mail but a card because it is too risky. And yeah they will send it, but they only insure it up to 500 bucks and that is nothing in comparison to what im sure was spent for the ring.

I'm in a lot of pain. I don't know what happened but my neck and shoulder on the left side of my body started to really ache badly yesterday. I couldn't look side to side, etc. I thought it was because of the way I slept Sunday night..you know..when you get a sore neck once and awhile. Well this has not gone away and has only worsened. I didn't sleep a wink last night because every position was painful and uncomfortable. I've just never had a sore neck for more than a few hours before. I'm actually really frightened! haha

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
Agreed. I tell my mother not to send me anything in the mail but a card because it is too risky. And yeah they will send it, but they only insure it up to 500 bucks and that is nothing in comparison to what im sure was spent for the ring.

I'm in a lot of pain. I don't know what happened but my neck and shoulder on the left side of my body started to really ache badly yesterday. I couldn't look side to side, etc. I thought it was because of the way I slept Sunday night..you know..when you get a sore neck once and awhile. Well this has not gone away and has only worsened. I didn't sleep a wink last night because every position was painful and uncomfortable. I've just never had a sore neck for more than a few hours before. I'm actually really frightened! haha

Do you have any other symptoms treble? A friend of mine had a bad fever last week and one of the ways it expressed itself was through pain in her neck and back.. I do hope you are feeling better. Did you take anything for the pain?

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

From what I've heard, UPS is notoriously unreliable -- at least in Canada. I've never had a major problem with UPS in the U.S. (although they sometimes leave important packages by the door where anyone can take them), but according to my wife, it's not unusual for UPS to "claim" they've made a delivery attempt when they never bothered. Even if they do make an attempt and adhere one of those notices to your door, the time frame they write on there will almost always be incorrect. For instance, if UPS's sticker says they'll arrive around 10 AM, they could easily show up at 5 PM (the opposite is true, as well).

The only carrier I really trust is Federal Express. They've been exceptionally reliable and very fast. The downside is that they cost more (sometimes much more) than UPS. But I'd rather pay more and actually receive my item than pay less and gamble with it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Jen,

I'd check out Fedex. I know someone who used Fedex to send a horse from the US to Bermuda. If they can send a horse, they've got to be able to send a ring. Hopefully, it won't be too expensive. I can totally understand wanting to have the ring with you. I hate not having mine for any length of time too. I know that it's just a symbol of our commitment but that symbol helps me focus on the good things when the immigration stuff gets overwhelming.

thetreble,

I hope you figure out what's going on and feel better soon.

~ Catherine

Filed: Timeline

I have chronic neck pain due to some old whiplash injuries. The only thing that helps is a visit to my chiropractor. (Been through the drug and physiotherapy route with absolutely no results other than being drugged up. Also went to a ####### chiropractor here before I found a good one.) When I was in England this summer, my neck gave out and my husband convinced me to see a Chinese doctor who used acupuncture, massage, and chiropractic in one session. I was astounded by the results and now my sister sees her regularly. (I had acupuncture before but the guy had not a clue what he was doing..... was a massage therapist... not a doctor.... so I had vowed never again. Glad I went to a real Chinese acupuncturist this time.) Save yourself some grief, Amanda, and find a good chiropractor. Hope you're feeling better soon.

iagree.gif

Timeline

You see the thing is, I'm really iffy about chiropractors. Maybe if I had sustained an injury such as yourself, krikit, in an accident hen I would be willing to go to one. But I don't know the cause. I just woke up and it was like this :( The worst part was that Monday morning when I woke up I was fine. It didn't start to kill my until about an hour later out of the blue. It is possible I pinched a nerve ors omething like that, but I just wish it would go away.

I also was thinking about other symptoms, because of course with a stiff neck always comes meningitis scares. But I'm fine besides the excrutiating neck/shoulder pain.

On my right side I have a chronically sore rhomboid muscle. I used to be a big volleyball player and pulled it when I was about 16. Now that I work on a computer all day, it often acts up.

It feels like that, sort of, on my other side now, just with the added pain in my neck.

Any advice on what I can do personally to help? I've got Asper cream I rubbed in last night and that made it feel a bit better.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline
Any advice on what I can do personally to help? I've got Asper cream I rubbed in last night and that made it feel a bit better.

Heat does help.. have a magic bag or something? Hubby is always pumping me full of anti-inflammatory meds as well.. he has some prescription stuff, but I can't remember what it is right now :(.. but I also love a good acupuncturist.. they can relieve pain like nobody's business.

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Timeline

Heat does help.. have a magic bag or something? Hubby is always pumping me full of anti-inflammatory meds as well.. he has some prescription stuff, but I can't remember what it is right now :(.. but I also love a good acupuncturist.. they can relieve pain like nobody's business.

The thought of someone sticking needles in me...ewwwwww

I had a magic bag...but guess what happened to it... :whistle:

it exploded. :lol:

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline
I had a magic bag...but guess what happened to it... :whistle:

it exploded. :lol:

:lol: how does one of those exactly explode? :huh: how many minutes did you put it in for?

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.