bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So i just got completely lambasted by a "granola" friend of mine that told me to *clears throat * "rot in He#@ and that I was living in "Babylon" when he found out I was living in the US :wacko: I guess he figures I sold out :whistle:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
So i just got completely lambasted by a "granola" friend of mine that told me to *clears throat * "rot in He#@ and that I was living in "Babylon" when he found out I was living in the US :wacko: I guess he figures I sold out :whistle:

Tell him to go bathe in some patchouli and cool down.

Donne moi une poptart!

Granola? :lol::lol:

Tell him to go bathe in some patchouli and cool down.

:lol::lol: too funny! I love patchouli!

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Ugh.. after I posted that he completely lambasted me about living in the US, how could I be so "involved" with Babylon.. how could I have married a veteran who killed women and children, how could I sell out and leave my homeland and go be part of the "land which God will judge".. the funny part is this guy is in NO way a religious fanatic, just HATES the US, and was appalled that I was living there..

It broke my heart..

I came to bed weeping last night and woke hubby up.. I just felt so misunderstood and so frustrated and like all my worst fears about living here and "assimilating" were true because this guy said so.. He made me FEEL like a sellout - completely.

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Ugh.. after I posted that he completely lambasted me about living in the US, how could I be so "involved" with Babylon.. how could I have married a veteran who killed women and children, how could I sell out and leave my homeland and go be part of the "land which God will judge".. the funny part is this guy is in NO way a religious fanatic, just HATES the US, and was appalled that I was living there..

It broke my heart..

I came to bed weeping last night and woke hubby up.. I just felt so misunderstood and so frustrated and like all my worst fears about living here and "assimilating" were true because this guy said so.. He made me FEEL like a sellout - completely.

Awwwwwwwww my heart is breaking for you right now E!! The guy is a jerk. Period. He's a friend and he's lambasting you like this? He's no friend! He should not be judging you, but supporting you in whatever makes you happy! We all know your hubby makes you so happy. You didn't do this on a whim! You made very informed and intelligent decisions! You are NOT a sellout! What's in your heart is that you're Canadian, always will be, it's NOT where you're living, but your BEING! UGH! I'm so pi$$ed at this person right now!

You cannot be MADE to feel anything m'dear. You have a choice on what YOU feel.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

I have had a few friends with similar reactions; not as harsh mind you but not supportive at all. The way I look at it;

"you can't help who you fall in love with" I didn't choose to fall in love with an American, uproot my life and move but it happened and you go with it. The support of friends and family is important and those that choose not to support you are not true friends.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Ugh E..some of my friends blasted me a bit when I told them I was moving to the US. I told them to go F themselves and if they were my friends it wouldn't matter where I lived in the world.

Suffice to say they stopped after that. Living in the US has been given such a bad rap. It ain't all ponies and rainbows living in some areas of Toronto, Montreal, etc. either! the point is, is that as long as YOU are happy that is all that matters. My favourite quote from Little Miss Sunshine is "do what you love and #### the rest!"

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Thanks gals.. I think he unknowingly just hit a nerve in me.. something that's festered since I moved here, about my fears of becoming "American" (Whatever the heck that is).. I have a friend back home who talks about her sister having lived in the US so long she stopped being CDN and started being "American".. I dunno.. it's just so flipping difficult sometimes to straddle this delicate balance.. I'd love to just wholeheartedly jump into this "American Dream" stuff, but in reality, I'm here because of my husband.. that's it.. the reality of that sometimes hits me like a tone of bricks ..

I agree this guy who was lambasting me isn't truly a friend.. and apparently he's feeling some remorse today according to his Facebook status. I just need to ignore it, but in truth it is a fear of mine (albeit unfounded and irrational).. just picked off the scab I figure.

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Timeline

Understandable. Something many of us struggle with I am sure. I keep in my mind that as a Canadian, I'm like a German, French, English, Chinese, etc. person who came to live here. I have a distinct culture, a distinct accent a distinct thought process in being Canadian and so do you. I'm never going to be American.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

This is like my idiot cousin who is a gutter punk in Toronto and sleeps on sidewalks out of choice because he doesn't want to listen to "the man". Usually during family functions, he'll come around and he'll just sit there going: "I HATE AMERICANS!" right to my husband.

The truth of the matter is, he knows nothing about this country and doesn't seem to be able to distinguish the government from the people. I find a lot of my Canadian friends and family can be that way regarding it here. They call Americans ignorant and all that stuff. But I always tell them if they're pointing one finger, there's three pointing back at them.

They're being just as ignorant by saying the things they do. :)

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
This is like my idiot cousin who is a gutter punk in Toronto and sleeps on sidewalks out of choice because he doesn't want to listen to "the man". Usually during family functions, he'll come around and he'll just sit there going: "I HATE AMERICANS!" right to my husband.

The truth of the matter is, he knows nothing about this country and doesn't seem to be able to distinguish the government from the people. I find a lot of my Canadian friends and family can be that way regarding it here. They call Americans ignorant and all that stuff. But I always tell them if they're pointing one finger, there's three pointing back at them.

They're being just as ignorant by saying the things they do. :)

It's true.

I find that most of them know very little about how the US got their britches and how things work.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

[/size] i called immergrations yesterday to find out if my case is anywhere to be seen and how mush longer!!

filed aug 130 sept 5 k-3 vsc..

his responce to me is well vsc center is working on march... i almost fell of my chair!! he siad 6 more months to get no2 and 2-3 months for embassy interview :crying: i could not belive this.. his reponse was with draw your appication stateing any thing but why you are truly doing this .. have your husband come here on visa wavier .. then re apply you will only loss 455.00 for your application fee.. :blush: or go threw expedia file get doc note or show hard ship .. he said if you are a usa citizen you can do this .. i could not belive he said this.. and he said miss we get some many appication that is why it is so slow... what to do take the risk or waite a year to see my husband again :help::wow:

ok think i am getting this a little blonde

new here trying to get around this and stomblei!!!

Tried to in sert hubby and me photos but always says to big !

just joined last week intersted to hear others stories and time lines filed aug and sept hubbie coming from australia!

Been so long since i have seen him ! So any form AU need to know dose my hubbie need to go to sidney to get interview! He is in melbourne!

Timeline

so are font size, the look of the font and just general language rules.

My eyes filled with grit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.