bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

I'm at my wits' end telling my MIL that I don't want to carpool with her to the city every morning for work. I've told her (almost) every reason that I have for wanting to take the train into the city, and she still insists that she'll take me - it's frustrating that she's brushing me off and treating me like a little kid who has to be dropped off at the school door. :(

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Oh my God. There's this student who waits for her classes outside my office; and she goes on and on and on and on and on about McCain. She argues with her classmates, gets all heated up and the works. She annoys me. Partly because I of course I don't agree with what she says and I think she is an idiot; but mostly because she has such a LOUD EFFING VOICE :ranting:

Can someone please come over and shoot her? I don't believe in owning guns, but I have no qualms about hiring a hit-person :devil:

GRRRREAT. Now she's talking about Rossi (GOP governor candidate) as if he was the closest thing to John Lennon. :protest:

Dino Rossi, the guy who's so proud of his party that he NEVER uses the term Republican in any of his ads. Never heard of him. :lol: I know nothing about extroverted suicide but I suppose one could arrange for your rather garrilous associate to be trampled to death by an elephant, or is that too ironic for you? :devil:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

SEPTA Regional Rail. The train station is a block from the house, and after I transfer from Market East to the MFL, the subway stop is two blocks from my work building.

Here we go again...

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My Husband misplaced his visa cheque card in early October. We also moved in October and I changed our address with the bank (before he misplaced his card).

- After waiting 10 business days the replacement card had still not arrived.

- He called and they cancelled that one and they issued a new one.

- A week later - still no card.

- Call back today - and I said to her, you must have another address on file - the cards are not getting here - well it turns out that, although we have a joint account, our cheque cards are considered separate and therefore unless he ALSO called to update the address then it would not have been updated.

Could the two people before this one not have mentioned that? Did they need to keep sending the replacement card to the wrong address?

Also, when I called to change our address I ordered new cheques - which, when I called back - had never been ordered. They put in a new order and said they would 'expedite' them. Well that was over a week ago, so in talking to them about it I come to find out they have not even been printed yet. So I say, the 'expedite' is not really valid - she says, yes it is, they will expedite the shipping AFTER they print them.

Also, when we call them we have to jump through all these identification hoops.

I've just about had it with RBC.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm at my wits' end telling my MIL that I don't want to carpool with her to the city every morning for work. I've told her (almost) every reason that I have for wanting to take the train into the city, and she still insists that she'll take me - it's frustrating that she's brushing me off and treating me like a little kid who has to be dropped off at the school door. :(

Oooh. That would drive me crazy. I'm with you, I'd rather take the train too. Hold your ground!

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Timeline

Nini - its so hard with family to say no without bordering on offensive. I'd want the train too. I might be in the minority with enjoying public transit.

Trailmix - that's unfreakingbelievable! I remember you posting about that like a month ago. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Timeline
SEPTA Regional Rail. The train station is a block from the house, and after I transfer from Market East to the MFL, the subway stop is two blocks from my work building.

It may be that the only thing that will work is leaving early, taking the train and not being available when your MIL comes to drive you. Not tactful, but it sounds like she is beyond the tactful stage. You could give her a call once you are on the train to let her know you don't need a ride.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Nini-welcome to the bridging of families. If you can't tell her to #### off, tell her that you are taking the train period. She can't tell you what to do. I know what it is like living with your inlaws (i am right now!) and believe me, if you don't stand your ground they wil walk all over you. It is very hard to be under your parents roof, but when you are under someone's roof that isn't even your own family, it is almost like being a renter!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

cat - I definitely belong to that minority. I love commuting! Everything about it - the scenery from the train, the time you get just to center yourself and get into a meditative, thoughtful "me" time. There's just no way that I could ever find peace while my MIL is yelling at the radio tuned to politics and other hot topics like that. I feel absolutely terrible for not wanting to share the same breathing air as she does, but she literally makes me want to tear my hair out after a minute.

Amanda - yea, I definitely hear you about standing ground. I think for me, a huge part of the difficulty about living with the in-laws is not wanting to be incendiary or intrusive to them in their house. I feel very much that it's not my space nor my "home" per se, and there are times (like now) when I feel that she takes it one step further and tries to exert control over us. We love her and everything, but I've finally reached a point where I have control over something that's not in her radius, and heck if I won't let her stick her finger in that pie too!

We had another talk yesterday, which started in her talking about the commute again and assuming that we were going to carpool - I flat out said, "I've told you the other six times this has come up, I'm taking the train." Unbeknownst to me, my husband also went to her this morning and asked her to stop harassing me on the issue because I'd already made my decision. Hopefully she'll (finally) figure out that we're set on the idea. -_-

Here we go again...

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Timeline

Yea I would understand if you were taking the Subway around Philly and she wanted to drive you but I don't get why she is so persistent on driving you. Some people like to feel needed.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We went to a friends " Annual Oyster Extravaganza" today. The oysters were awesome and our dog is always welcome at their house. I'm just not too keen on this group of people- they are very nice to your face and then are snippy behind your back. I hate that.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

I showed up for my physical today and the first words out of the receptionist's mouth were "Don't you check your work voice mail?" The tone of her voise was extremely rude.

My work VM for today states that I haave the day off and asks that the caller please try my cell number if it's urgent. Apparently the doctor had a meeting and the appointment was cancelled.

Grrrrr.....

~ Catherine

Timeline
I showed up for my physical today and the first words out of the receptionist's mouth were "Don't you check your work voice mail?" The tone of her voise was extremely rude.

My work VM for today states that I haave the day off and asks that the caller please try my cell number if it's urgent. Apparently the doctor had a meeting and the appointment was cancelled.

Grrrrr.....

~ Catherine

ooooh F!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.