bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I smoked for 10 years and quit when I moved down here. It was easy because I changed my environment and was around all non smokers. If I still lived in Canada I probably would still be smoking. I notice a lot more smokers in Canada than I do here too.

Anyways, its a hard thing to do if you're in the same environment you were always in. When I went to Chicago a friend from Canada handed me a DuMaurier and said: "Do you miss this?" and I tried to smoke it and I honestly couldn't. It just tasted nasty. :lol:

When my grandpa was in the hospital dying of cancer, my uncle jokingly asked him if he wanted a cigarette and my grandpa said: "If I didn't smoke those things, I wouldn't be in this place, I wouldn't be dying"

Very powerful words that did make me think about my own choice.

Its a hard thing to do though. My mother smokes, and she's always saying she wants to quit. She takes care of her diabetes, she eats healthy, she only eats organic. I am floored that she puts cigarettes into her body when she is so conscious about everything else. I really wish she'd quit because I don't want her to suffer like my grandparents both did.

Donne moi une poptart!

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
What about trying the nicotine patch? That worked for my mother who was a lifelong smoker. Unfortunately, by then the damage had been done and her lungs permanently damaged.

yeah I am sure these things would work if he really wanted to quit which I don't think he does... because he hasn't tried very hard *shrugs*

he did quit last year for about 6 months, I know he had 2 or 3 cigarettes in that time.. he just quit cold turkey that time.. he started smoking again around the time we knew his mom was dying, which I do understand.. he was really stressed out etc...

I think for him he just has to quit cold turkey...

he has been helping out his dad these last few days and his dad smokes too, so that doesn't help...

Edited by *Marilyn*
mvSuprise-hug.gif

What about trying the nicotine patch? That worked for my mother who was a lifelong smoker. Unfortunately, by then the damage had been done and her lungs permanently damaged.

yeah I am sure these things would work if he really wanted to quit which I don't think he does... because he hasn't tried very hard *shrugs*

he did quit last year for about 6 months, I know he had 2 or 3 cigarettes in that time.. he just quit cold turkey that time.. he started smoking again around the time we knew his mom was dying, which I do understand.. he was really stressed out etc...

he has been helping out his dad these last few days and his dad smokes too, so that doesn't help...

The bolded part is the bottom line Marilyn. You can't make him quit. He may try 100 times unsuccessfully, before he finally is sucessful. No amount of cajoling or threats will work. (I'm not saying your threatening him...) He'll find the right method of quitting for himself as well. It doesn't help that he's around smokers all the time, but again, when he's made his own decision to stop, then he will, and will make changes to his days so that he's not around smokers all the time. I think you have to set limits on where he can smoke. Second hand smoke is BAD. Personally I think smokers should only be allowed to smoke outside.

I personally think that when smokers want to quit, then they should be encouraged, otherwise, the non-smokers should just not bother saying anything.

It's NEVER too late to quit.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

I do notice many more smokers in Canada than here around me. Even at work, I only know one smoker in our office.

I never understood the point of smoking but I'm sure it helped that my parents weren't smokers. I might have been one if they were. It just seems like such an expensive habit.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

The bolded part is the bottom line Marilyn. You can't make him quit. He may try 100 times unsuccessfully, before he finally is sucessful. No amount of cajoling or threats will work. (I'm not saying your threatening him...) He'll find the right method of quitting for himself as well. It doesn't help that he's around smokers all the time, but again, when he's made his own decision to stop, then he will, and will make changes to his days so that he's not around smokers all the time. I think you have to set limits on where he can smoke. Second hand smoke is BAD. Personally I think smokers should only be allowed to smoke outside.

I personally think that when smokers want to quit, then they should be encouraged, otherwise, the non-smokers should just not bother saying anything.

It's NEVER too late to quit.

yeah I know I can't force him to quit.. sometimes I just let him know how I feel about it..

yeah my hubby never smokes in the house... he never smokes when he is around me either.... he does smoke in the car though which kind of bugs me..

it would be kind of hard not to be around smokers seeing as how his dad and both his brothers smoke... :unsure:

I just hope he quits soon... I just want to be healthy...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

THIS BLOWS!!!!!!! :angry:

I don't know WHAT kind of heating we have in this DUMP, I think it's steam radiators but at night when it's turning on, yeah...it sounds like someone is coming through the floor with a metal sledgehammer!

It literally shakes the walls and the bed!!!

Is this going to be like this ALL DAY when the heat is on all the time???

Flipping 11pm, 1am, 3am, 5am.....it's absolutely RIDICULOUS.

SO LOUD! BANG BANG BANG!!

I'm calling our landlord now. :crying:

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know WHAT kind of heating we have in this DUMP, I think it's steam radiators but at night when it's turning on, yeah...it sounds like someone is coming through the floor with a metal sledgehammer!

Oh dear. Not good having stuff interrupting your sleep Laura! Hope they sort this out for you :thumbs:

Oh dear. Not good having stuff interrupting your sleep Laura! Hope they sort this out for you :thumbs:

Thanks.

I left a message.

Some noise when the heat first turns on is fine but this is more than noise. I should record it. It's insane.

:(

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Timeline

:lol: Welcome to the world of steam radiators! That sound it makes...can't do anything about it. I lived with it in apartments for years. To be honest though, it is the cheapest and most hot kind of heat in my opinion that you can get. I know it can be loud but it gives off a lot of heat when it gets going.

I'm not sure what causes the noise, I would assume is it the pressure. Some days are worse than others though.

My eyes filled with grit

:lol: Welcome to the world of steam radiators! That sound it makes...can't do anything about it. I lived with it in apartments for years. To be honest though, it is the cheapest and most hot kind of heat in my opinion that you can get. I know it can be loud but it gives off a lot of heat when it gets going.

I'm not sure what causes the noise, I would assume is it the pressure. Some days are worse than others though.

Yeah. We don't pay for it, they just crank it up and bam...you got heat.

This is more than noise though hon...it's horrible.

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Filed: Timeline

And that, sister Carla, is the wisest thing. :thumbs:

I personally get fed up when non-smokers go all high and mighty on me. Don't like my smoke? Move aside. In less than polite words and not wanting to be offensive:

Picture3.jpg

I like your fire Len!!

:devil:

And no I am not condoning smoking or any other "bad" habit.

Ha!

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I could care less if people want to smoke, but don't come near me and blow ur fumes,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
I could care less if people want to smoke, but don't come near me and blow ur fumes,lol

Agreed. I see what you are saying Len but thank goodness they banned smoking from bars and restaurants because I'm allergic to it! It makes my eyes run, itch and burn. It also gives me quite the headache.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

And that, sister Carla, is the wisest thing. :thumbs:

I personally get fed up when non-smokers go all high and mighty on me. Don't like my smoke? Move aside. In less than polite words and not wanting to be offensive:

Picture3.jpg

I don't care that you or anybody else smokes :P

I care that my hubby smokes... I just want him to be healthy...

plus I am tired of him smoking in the car... a car we share.... I don't want to have to smoke too... :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.