bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
We seem to have enough people processing work visas, investor visas, outstanding persons visas, military visas, refugee visas, pushing for amnesty legislation etc. Did you know that there are only 32,000 K1 visas issued a year, in comparison to the 12 million illegals in this country right now? If you think about it, how long does it take to process 32,000 visas? Most take about 15 minutes. 15 minutes times 32000 = 8000 hours. There are 2000 hours in a typical work year. 4 people working full time could process all the K1 visas assuming that there was no backlog. How many hundreds of people work for the USCIS? You would think that even if they had 50 people working on this full time, the backlog could be cleared in a month. Why not? Bureaucracy.

Although I agree with what you wrote, I just wanted to point out that just because 32,000 K1 Visas are issued per year, that doesn't mean there aren't thousands more that need to be reviewed and sorted beforehand. There are many people who get denied a visa to the United States and those cases, even though the visa didn't get issued, still took time and manpower.

I'm not suggesting that USCIS should take as long as they do. I'm sure they could cut their time frame by at least half if they just acted efficiently and removed some of the aforementioned bureaucracy. Unfortunately, that probably won't happen.

There is also a lot more Visa categories than the K-1....and some of them might be harder to process depending on the immigrants situation, family, etc...

Ya I know - I'm just saying why not have people dedicated to K1s and K3s? I mean its one of the few visas where an American citizen is personally inconvenienced by the wait.

2008-01-30 - I-129F Sent

2008-02-05 - I-129F NOA1

2008-06-06 - I-129F NOA2

2008-06-10 - NVC Recd

2008-07-02 - Packet 3 Recd

2008-07-23 - Packet 3 Sent

2008-08-11 - Medical

2008-09-18 - Packet 4 Recd

2008-10-14 - Interview - APPROVED!

2008-11-05 - US Entry - I fly to Toronto 11/5, we drive back to California and get here 11/9

2008-11-18 - Civil Ceremony San Francisco MARRIAGE CERT and CEREMONY BOOKED

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
job hunting sucks... I just got another rejection and just because I didn't have any recent references :unsure:.....

Marilyn, I am so sorry. Have you worked here in the US or is this your first job?

If it is your first job, your best bet is to get a temp job. Build up some american experience and get your dream job!

By the way, I do not understand this whole reference dealio. What do potential employers expect to find out this way? Nobody in their right mind would not chose a person to be their reference unless they were willing to say glorious things.

It seems a waste of time and networking effort.

I am looking for my first job . I haven't worked in the US before and it is kind of hard to find a temp nanny job :lol:

Don't get disheartened, Marilyn. Think of it as eliminating the jobs which aren't right for you. Eventually you'll have it narrowed down to the one(s) which are perfect for you. :thumbs:

thanks krikit.. yeah that is what they tell me :P

This process will teach you patience, lots of it. Please keep yourself busy or you will lose your sanity.

I don't think this process taught me patience at all..... it taught me the value of a good cry and a good temper tantrum.. but not patience.. Patience would require a logical process :lol:

This process has taught me that bureaucrats do not care about the people whose lives they affect in any way shape or form. Its taught me that these people enjoy playing with other peoples lives. Its taught me to revile government officials even more than I used to. Its taught me that no matter how you try to speed things up, someone or something will always get in your way and mess up your plans. Its taught me that the US is perfectly happy with bringing Canadians to work for businesses in the US, but for some reason, treats Canadian fiances of American citizens worse than it treats illegal aliens. Its taught me that crime is rewarded (illegal aliens can come across the borders and be with their families immediately) while following the rules is punished (we have to wait up to a year to be with our families). There's more, but I'm too angry and frustrated to think straight.

I agree with you but I honestly think the system is backlogged, not enough people working for USCIS and too many frauds forcing us -honest couples- to just sit and wait.

Don't get me started about illegals! It drives me up the wall! About a year and half, the US politicians were in talk to legalize illegals. Why would we give a free pass to people who willingly didn't respect this country??

I understand that all illegals are not the same but I have been abiding by USCIS and US laws for the last 6 years so why someone should have it easy?

*rant off* :)

We seem to have enough people processing work visas, investor visas, outstanding persons visas, military visas, refugee visas, pushing for amnesty legislation etc. Did you know that there are only 32,000 K1 visas issued a year, in comparison to the 12 million illegals in this country right now? If you think about it, how long does it take to process 32,000 visas? Most take about 15 minutes. 15 minutes times 32000 = 8000 hours. There are 2000 hours in a typical work year. 4 people working full time could process all the K1 visas assuming that there was no backlog. How many hundreds of people work for the USCIS? You would think that even if they had 50 people working on this full time, the backlog could be cleared in a month. Why not? Bureaucracy.

job hunting sucks... I just got another rejection and just because I didn't have any recent references :unsure:.....

Marilyn, I am so sorry. Have you worked here in the US or is this your first job?

If it is your first job, your best bet is to get a temp job. Build up some american experience and get your dream job!

By the way, I do not understand this whole reference dealio. What do potential employers expect to find out this way? Nobody in their right mind would not chose a person to be their reference unless they were willing to say glorious things.

It seems a waste of time and networking effort.

Agreed. I think they used that as an excuse. I think of all the jobs I ever had they might have checked references on me once. You dont need them - a better job will come along.

when someone is looking for a nanny for their children they want to talk to who else you have worked for

95% of the people I have interviewed with have checked my references..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Marilyn,

How about them and them?

If you google "nanny agency in Los Angeles", a lot of places pop up. It might be worth a try if one of them was willing to recognize your foreign experience and give you a shot!

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Timeline
Marilyn,

How about them and them?

If you google "nanny agency in Los Angeles", a lot of places pop up. It might be worth a try if one of them was willing to recognize your foreign experience and give you a shot!

yeah not to sure about an agency.. I got hired by an agency for elderly care a few months back and I haven't heard a thing since then.. so I am kind of leery about trying another agency...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

You might find this helpful: http://www.google.com/coop/manage/cse/create/1?

It's designed by Google to let you create your own Custom Search Engine. That helps to narrow down the useless junk that's out there on the Internet and when you do find websites that are relevant to your search, you can enter them into the search engine as well, so it'll look at those too. You can also place it on your iGoogle homepage too, which is handy.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

What in the flippin' hell. Why are there STILL people being approved for their I-130 in less than a month when people like me sit on our asses for OVER 200 DAYS waiting for things to go through. What. The. Hell.

I'm about to cry. This is ridiculous. I feel like a big ball of stress.

Andrew and I have been married for one year and two days. This is NOT what I thought married life would be like.

And why won't they flippin' update the processing timeframes for VSC? If they had, my I-129F would be outside of them. BAH.

Rachel Marie :)

K3 *CR-1* Journey

2002: Met and started to date, long distance the whole time!

2006: Engaged

10.2006: Contacted lawyer to begin paperwork

4.30.07: Legally Married in Ft. Myers, FL

8.25.07: Religious Ceremony in St. John's, NL

12.6.07: Paperwork filed to USCIS (after trouble w/lawyer)

1.18.08: I-129F NOA1

2.29.08: I-129F Touch

3.13.08: I-130 NOA1

3.19.08: I-130 Touch

6.30.08: I-130 Touch!

7.1.08: I-130 Touch again!

9.3.08: I-130 NOA2!!!! (And weirdly, I-129F denial. Guess I'm going CR-1 route!)

6.23.09: Package... 3? 4? I don't know, but Andrew had his interview date scheduled.

8.14.09: Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
What in the flippin' hell. Why are there STILL people being approved for their I-130 in less than a month when people like me sit on our asses for OVER 200 DAYS waiting for things to go through. What. The. Hell.

Andrew and I have been married for one year and two days. This is NOT what I thought married life would be like.

And why won't they flippin' update the processing timeframes for VSC? If they had, my I-129F would be outside of them. BAH.

So sorry to hear that you are stressed... (F) hang in there.... one day this will be over..

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Yup, it sucks.

I'm sorry to hear and know that you are in great company...not that that helps really.

"Married life" already would be a huge adjustment for people, let alone, immigration crapola, moving and being referred to as an "alien", sensing and dealing with the differences of this different country and its people's ways....etc etc.

It's quite the thick soup...and we are swimming (drowning) in it.

If only immigration was like dealing with any other issue and one could make a phone call or a visit to some office and there would be something that made sense and some human being would tell you they have your file and they are looking at the physical thing and it will take x number of days.

This zero accountability shtuff is maddening.

I seriously feel like I need to get my head examined for having embarked on this life.

I chose it,

and

I am not dealing with it too well.

Obviously.

I have been examining my own head, and that is not working too well.

:lol:

More than that, my tooth that needs attention is going to turn out to be the bionic tooth.

the amount of work and money to heal it...WOW!

I have been through 2 procedures, insurance has already run out (it was way too low a cap), and there are 2 more brutal steps.

Ouch....in so many ways, ouch.

Bleh.

I am not having a fun time of it at all.

/rant

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

I'm sorry to hear about that Rachel, try to hang on in there :( That's the hardest part, not to know when, but one day it will be over and you will be able to forget all this #######. (F)

And if it can make you smile, about how you think married life is, wait until you will have to pick up all your husband's socks around the house :P

I seriously feel like I need to get my head examined for having embarked on this life.

I chose it,

and

Obviously.

What's the matter? :( Are you talking about just adjusting to the US, or your married life in general ? How is it going with your husband ?

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Yup, it sucks.

I'm sorry to hear and know that you are in great company...not that that helps really.

"Married life" already would be a huge adjustment for people, let alone, immigration crapola, moving and being referred to as an "alien", sensing and dealing with the differences of this different country and its people's ways....etc etc.

It's quite the thick soup...and we are swimming (drowning) in it.

If only immigration was like dealing with any other issue and one could make a phone call or a visit to some office and there would be something that made sense and some human being would tell you they have your file and they are looking at the physical thing and it will take x number of days.

This zero accountability shtuff is maddening.

I chose it,

and

Obviously.

I have been examining my own head, and that is not working too well.

:lol:

More than that, my tooth that needs attention is going to turn out to be the bionic tooth.

the amount of work and money to heal it...WOW!

I have been through 2 procedures, insurance has already run out (it was way too low a cap), and there are 2 more brutal steps.

Ouch....in so many ways, ouch.

Bleh.

I am not having a fun time of it at all.

/rant

Awww, I'm sorry you're having such mouth pain. Been there, done that...to the tune of $10,000.00! I'm at my suckiest when I have a toothache.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Ya I know - I'm just saying why not have people dedicated to K1s and K3s? I mean its one of the few visas where an American citizen is personally inconvenienced by the wait.

What about CR1/IR1/IR5? :thumbs:

I think it would be nice if no one was terribly inconvenienced by any visa process.

Anyway Waiforever, that video rant you posted - I assume that is your intended??

Oh and I wouldn't worry too much about the 6 month waiting list comment you got in email, you obviously got the grouchy email response :)

Edited by trailmix

Thanks Carla.

Yup times are tough for a free spirit having to deal with nonsense problems Mephys.

I only want and crave harmony and joy.

Oh, I have been around long enough to know that life is not always rosy...do I ever...and yet,

if there is less joy than everything else combined,

then

why?

We did get dealt a heavy hand for a start to any relationship.

Complex K1, FIL's illness and death, doggy's illness and death, no home established as of yet.

Etc.

I do not mean to sound bitter.

I am just so sad these days...well, I have been sad for a long time concerning my current life choices.

What I am doing is looking at each part and trying to make peace with it and/or change things that can be improved.

Sometimes it feels like I'm climbing an ice mountain and I forgot my cramp-ons and ice ax.

This is what happens when two first borns get together.

Everybody is used to carving their own path and being "right".

It is a lose/lose situation.

And when I point that out, well, you can imagine...

it is like my ego needs to win sometimes (I see that!), especially when dealing with a person who has never been challenged about anything in their life.

I am the queen of such things.

Challenging people

bringing awareness to things

shining the light into "dark" corners...

Yes, I never let sleeping dogs lie.

And I never made a secret out of that.

Every one knows.

:star:

Comments?

Suggestions?

Edited by SpiritAlight

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks Carla.

it is like my ego needs to win sometimes (I see that!), especially when dealing with a person who has never been challenged about anything in their life.

I am the queen of such things.

Challenging people

bringing awareness to things

shining the light into "dark" corners...

Yes, I never let sleeping dogs lie.

And I never made a secret out of that.

Every one knows.

:star:

Comments?

Suggestions?

Well since you asked :lol:

The first thing that came to my mind when you asked comments/suggestions.

Why would a 'free spirit' really want to challenge someone about the way they live their life?

It seems to me that there is a lot of room for diversity in the way people look at things, it is not necessarily 'right' or 'wrong' - it is just that people see things differently - I don't see what is wrong with that.

Plus, when we request someone try to see things the way we see them, while it is respectful for them to try to see where we are coming from, we can't expect them to necessarily agree - just as we would hope they would not necessarily expect us to agree with them.

Ok this is probably going to sound like a shallow analogy...but oh well.

Some time ago I was out shopping with a friend. She liked this certain kind of glassware finish that I thought was just horrendous. So we were out that day in the store and she spotted something and commented how nice it was...although I thought it was rather repulsive. Then I had an epiphany :lol:

She saw it as BEAUTIFUL - how I saw it didn't really matter - it brought her joy - that's all that really mattered and I would respect that.

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.