2008-02-05 - I-129F NOA1

2008-06-06 - I-129F NOA2

2008-06-10 - NVC Recd

2008-07-02 - Packet 3 Recd

2008-07-23 - Packet 3 Sent

2008-08-11 - Medical

2008-09-18 - Packet 4 Recd

2008-10-14 - Interview - APPROVED!

2008-11-05 - US Entry - I fly to Toronto 11/5, we drive back to California and get here 11/9

2008-11-18 - Civil Ceremony San Francisco MARRIAGE CERT and CEREMONY BOOKED

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

for fvcksake, can USCIS please update something... anything!? The processing dates were last updated July 15th (as I'm sure many of you are aware), and our case is still not showing online after over a month! I realize it's too early to hope for any action on our case, but it would be nice to have some idea as to ####### they are doing there!

This process is not a good one for someone with so little patience to get involved in. :P

• 7/7/08 -- I-129f sent
  • 7/9/08 -- I-129f received at CSC
  • 7/24/08 -- NOA1 (finally!)
  • 12/2/08 -- NOA2 (WOOT!!!!)
  • 12/8/08 -- received at NVC
  • 12/22/08 -- packet 3 (with packet 4 attachment instead of checklist :P)
  • 12/29/08 -- packet 3 sent back with bits and pieces that I pulled together to make up a packet 3
  • 1/5/09 -- actual packet 3 received, but found out by via e-mail that they were satisfied with what I had already provided
  • 2/10/09 -- found out via call to DoS that my interview is scheduled!
  • 3/16/09 -- interview!!!! APROVED!!!
  • 4/7/09 -- MOVE!!!!!!!!
    Crossed at Detroit/Windsor Tunnel... pretty painless, about 45 minutes, inexperienced officer, asked for and received EA stamp
  • 4/13/09 -- Married in New Orleans!!!!!!!!
  • 5/30/09 -- Filed AOS/AP/EAD
  • 6/1/09 -- AOS etc received in Chicago

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
for fvcksake, can USCIS please update something... anything!? The processing dates were last updated July 15th (as I'm sure many of you are aware), and our case is still not showing online after over a month! I realize it's too early to hope for any action on our case, but it would be nice to have some idea as to ####### they are doing there!

This process is not a good one for someone with so little patience to get involved in. :P

Kelland,

I feel your frustration but unfortunately, it doesn't get better.

This process will teach you patience, lots of it. Please keep yourself busy or you will lose your sanity.

On another note, I hope your case will be showing soon. :)

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
This process will teach you patience, lots of it. Please keep yourself busy or you will lose your sanity.

I don't think this process taught me patience at all..... it taught me the value of a good cry and a good temper tantrum.. but not patience.. Patience would require a logical process :lol:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

My visa to immigrate to Canada was completed in under six months (as I posted in another thread) and yet, my father still believes that if I had used an attorney, the process would have gone faster. :huh:

I fail to see how it could have been any quicker, really. Especially when compared to the extremely lengthy U.S. immigration process (one which my dad does not believe is anywhere near as long as I state it can be, as well).

Of course, my dad also thought that when I was visiting my wife, CBSA wouldn't turn me away (regardless of any proof or ties to the U.S.) simply because "they'd want me to spend money in Canada." :blink:

Do you get the feeling he just didn't -- and still doesn't -- quite understand? :wacko:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think this process taught me patience at all..... it taught me the value of a good cry and a good temper tantrum.. but not patience.. Patience would require a logical process :lol:

This process has taught me that bureaucrats do not care about the people whose lives they affect in any way shape or form. Its taught me that these people enjoy playing with other peoples lives. Its taught me to revile government officials even more than I used to. Its taught me that no matter how you try to speed things up, someone or something will always get in your way and mess up your plans. Its taught me that the US is perfectly happy with bringing Canadians to work for businesses in the US, but for some reason, treats Canadian fiances of American citizens worse than it treats illegal aliens. Its taught me that crime is rewarded (illegal aliens can come across the borders and be with their families immediately) while following the rules is punished (we have to wait up to a year to be with our families). There's more, but I'm too angry and frustrated to think straight.

2008-01-30 - I-129F Sent

2008-02-05 - I-129F NOA1

2008-06-06 - I-129F NOA2

2008-06-10 - NVC Recd

2008-08-11 - Medical

2008-11-05 - US Entry - I fly to Toronto 11/5, we drive back to California and get here 11/9

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I bet there are a lot of Canadians that enter the USA as well and just stay,plead the "I didnt know" stance

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

This process has taught me that bureaucrats do not care about the people whose lives they affect in any way shape or form. Its taught me that these people enjoy playing with other peoples lives. Its taught me to revile government officials even more than I used to. Its taught me that no matter how you try to speed things up, someone or something will always get in your way and mess up your plans. Its taught me that the US is perfectly happy with bringing Canadians to work for businesses in the US, but for some reason, treats Canadian fiances of American citizens worse than it treats illegal aliens. Its taught me that crime is rewarded (illegal aliens can come across the borders and be with their families immediately) while following the rules is punished (we have to wait up to a year to be with our families). There's more, but I'm too angry and frustrated to think straight.

I agree with you but I honestly think the system is backlogged, not enough people working for USCIS and too many frauds forcing us -honest couples- to just sit and wait.

Don't get me started about illegals! It drives me up the wall! About a year and half, the US politicians were in talk to legalize illegals. Why would we give a free pass to people who willingly didn't respect this country??

I understand that all illegals are not the same but I have been abiding by USCIS and US laws for the last 6 years so why someone should have it easy?

*rant off* :)

Timeline
job hunting sucks... I just got another rejection and just because I didn't have any recent references :unsure:.....

Marilyn, I am so sorry. Have you worked here in the US or is this your first job?

If it is your first job, your best bet is to get a temp job. Build up some american experience and get your dream job!

By the way, I do not understand this whole reference dealio. What do potential employers expect to find out this way? Nobody in their right mind would not chose a person to be their reference unless they were willing to say glorious things.

It seems a waste of time and networking effort.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree with you but I honestly think the system is backlogged, not enough people working for USCIS and too many frauds forcing us -honest couples- to just sit and wait.

Don't get me started about illegals! It drives me up the wall! About a year and half, the US politicians were in talk to legalize illegals. Why would we give a free pass to people who willingly didn't respect this country??

I understand that all illegals are not the same but I have been abiding by USCIS and US laws for the last 6 years so why someone should have it easy?

*rant off* :)

We seem to have enough people processing work visas, investor visas, outstanding persons visas, military visas, refugee visas, pushing for amnesty legislation etc. Did you know that there are only 32,000 K1 visas issued a year, in comparison to the 12 million illegals in this country right now? If you think about it, how long does it take to process 32,000 visas? Most take about 15 minutes. 15 minutes times 32000 = 8000 hours. There are 2000 hours in a typical work year. 4 people working full time could process all the K1 visas assuming that there was no backlog. How many hundreds of people work for the USCIS? You would think that even if they had 50 people working on this full time, the backlog could be cleared in a month. Why not? Bureaucracy.

job hunting sucks... I just got another rejection and just because I didn't have any recent references :unsure:.....

Marilyn, I am so sorry. Have you worked here in the US or is this your first job?

If it is your first job, your best bet is to get a temp job. Build up some american experience and get your dream job!

By the way, I do not understand this whole reference dealio. What do potential employers expect to find out this way? Nobody in their right mind would not chose a person to be their reference unless they were willing to say glorious things.

It seems a waste of time and networking effort.

Agreed. I think they used that as an excuse. I think of all the jobs I ever had they might have checked references on me once. You dont need them - a better job will come along.

2008-01-30 - I-129F Sent

2008-02-05 - I-129F NOA1

2008-06-06 - I-129F NOA2

2008-06-10 - NVC Recd

2008-08-11 - Medical

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
We seem to have enough people processing work visas, investor visas, outstanding persons visas, military visas, refugee visas, pushing for amnesty legislation etc. Did you know that there are only 32,000 K1 visas issued a year, in comparison to the 12 million illegals in this country right now? If you think about it, how long does it take to process 32,000 visas? Most take about 15 minutes. 15 minutes times 32000 = 8000 hours. There are 2000 hours in a typical work year. 4 people working full time could process all the K1 visas assuming that there was no backlog. How many hundreds of people work for the USCIS? You would think that even if they had 50 people working on this full time, the backlog could be cleared in a month. Why not? Bureaucracy.

Although I agree with what you wrote, I just wanted to point out that just because 32,000 K1 Visas are issued per year, that doesn't mean there aren't thousands more that need to be reviewed and sorted beforehand. There are many people who get denied a visa to the United States and those cases, even though the visa didn't get issued, still took time and manpower.

I'm not suggesting that USCIS should take as long as they do. I'm sure they could cut their time frame by at least half if they just acted efficiently and removed some of the aforementioned bureaucracy. Unfortunately, that probably won't happen.

Although I agree with what you wrote, I just wanted to point out that just because 32,000 K1 Visas are issued per year, that doesn't mean there aren't thousands more that need to be reviewed and sorted beforehand. There are many people who get denied a visa to the United States and those cases, even though the visa didn't get issued, still took time and manpower.

I'm not suggesting that USCIS should take as long as they do. I'm sure they could cut their time frame by at least half if they just acted efficiently and removed some of the aforementioned bureaucracy. Unfortunately, that probably won't happen.

There is also a lot more Visa categories than the K-1....and some of them might be harder to process depending on the immigrants situation, family, etc...

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.