bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
That's crazy, it isn't worth more than 40 million tops. :lol: Unfortunately many rich NY urbanites have their country homes in NJ, it's been that way for years. :crying: Alpine is always in the top ten list of most expensive counties to purchase real estate in the US.

Nick lives near by there and took me driving through. I was amazed.

Then when we started looking at homes, we looked (for fun) online at those houses and were like "Oh perfect, We'll take 2" LOL

Then we went and looked at the crappiest pieces of ####### that was on the website and had a good laugh too.

:) We had fun that day.

I have a friend who lives in Manhattan and he pays $1400/mo. in an apartment subsidized by his employer. NYC and vacinity has probably the most expensive real estate in the US and it is incredibly difficult to get anything decent for the money. Don't feel bad though, Jerry Seinfeld paid $32 million dollars for Billy Joel's house on Long Island and spent another $10 million just to make it habitable.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who lives in Manhattan and he pays $1400/mo. in an apartment subsidized by his employer. NYC and vacinity has probably the most expensive real estate in the US and it is incredibly difficult to get anything decent for the money. Don't feel bad though, Jerry Seinfeld paid $32 million dollars for Billy Joel's house on Long Island and spent another $10 million just to make it habitable.

:lol: Yeah...I'm sure we'll find something.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good luck house hunting, and sorry about the job!! Were starting to look at houses as well. Wife is tired of her 45 min commute (times 2) each day, so either sell or rent out or condo, prob rent it out. joy joy

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry about the job Laura, but remember everything happens for a reason and you are going to be moving so you will get a better job here. Hope Nick finds you guys a great house.

Flames good luck with your house hunting too.

We have a slum landlord who lives 3 houses up from us and his tenant who lives across the street from us is going to moving this summer as he bought a house so the owner (the slum landlord) is likely going to be moving to across from us. He is not well liked on our street, has confrontations with all the neighbours so we have already discussed if it gets bad we will sell and move. Praying he decides to stay 3 doors up so we don't have to move cause it is such a pain.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Filed: Timeline
Buying a house in NJ when you are in Canada SUCKS! :angry:

I want to be there :crying:

You're buying a house? Did I miss something? :unsure:

Nick is looking at homes, yes.

I didn't get the promotion at work.

He is house hunting and I'm here.

Oh, okay. I know what that's like. My husband was house-hunting here while I was there. It sucked. I had him take pics and send them to me so I could be semi-involved too. As it turned out, he was able to weed out the ####### so that by the time I got here and took over, the real estate agent had a good idea of which houses to take me/us to and which ones not. It's a long, tiring, nuisance. After a while you begin to think "If I have to go into one more stinking house I'm gonna scream." It takes forever to find a place, so just think of it the same way. Nick is weeding out the ####### so you don't have to. :thumbs:

iagree.gif

Maybe I missed a post, but why is Nick looking for a house now instead of waiting until you move?

Because he wants to have a house before I come down. I have all my stuff....we'd have to move twice and he doesn't want that.

I don't want to do that either...I have a lot of stuff!

I trust him and his sister and mom, they will find us a great house...I'm very involved, he sends me pictures and everything.

I may take a trip down if he finds one he REALLY likes just to make sure :)

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Maybe I missed a post, but why is Nick looking for a house now instead of waiting until you move?

Because he wants to have a house before I come down. I have all my stuff....we'd have to move twice and he doesn't want that.

I don't want to do that either...I have a lot of stuff!

I trust him and his sister and mom, they will find us a great house...I'm very involved, he sends me pictures and everything.

I may take a trip down if he finds one he REALLY likes just to make sure :)

I had to move twice. It really sucked.

iagree.gif

I had to move twice. It really sucked.

Completely, that's why we aren't doing it...lol

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Well, I am officially sick to death of the Off Topic Forum. It's either politics or racism or people making sexual innuendoes at each other. I've decided to stay out of it for the sake of my mental health. Guess I won't be on here as much anymore. LOL

Aww, you can just post more in the Canada forum!!

Laura, makes complete sense!

I have a name for our upstairs neighbour. I call her 'woman who walks like horse'. :)

I have a name for our upstairs neighbour. I call her 'woman who walks like horse'. :)

:blink:

Maybe she is! Maybe she lives with a Republican who makes her wear a saddle and threatens to send her back to the mother country if she doesn't perform!

( See. I told you I need to stay out of Off Topic. :hehe: )

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Got to walk in the Atlantic Ocean for almost 2 hours on Sunday -- yay!

Today is my last day here in Canada for a while -- boo!

Going home to see my poor lonely hubby -- yay!

My poor lonely hubby is still waiting to hear if he's got the managerial job he's done two interviews for and hasn't heard a thing in two weeks -- boo!

We think my sister-in-law is having a boy -- yay!

I don't trust ultrasounds as far as I can throw them -- boo!

I'm feeling weird today.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.