bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hospitals are not here to make ya better, there here to make $$$$

Not so sure, but I've had a few appointments lately, and compared to Quebec's Medical services (where they have no time to see you even if you waited 6 hours), I feel like sometimes they do a little more than necessary. Ok they want to cover their bases and avoid any lawsuit, and ok it's not a bad thing for the patient, but still...

On Sunday I got bit by a cat at work, and because his teeth cut through my skin, I had to go to the treatment center. Here's what they did:

- cleaned the wound

- flushed with 1000 mls of saline (It's a tiny hole, deep, but nonetheless small and the saline was just flowing on my fingers)

- 3 different views of X-rays of my hand (to make sure there is no pieces of tooth)

- Tetanus shot (even if I was current with a shot in 2002, they say the more the merrier)

- 10 days of Antibiotiques (which was the ONLY reason why i went to the treatment center....)

So do I believe that they are trying to make $$$$ ? Kinda ;)

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Not so sure, but I've had a few appointments lately, and compared to Quebec's Medical services (where they have no time to see you even if you waited 6 hours), I feel like sometimes they do a little more than necessary. Ok they want to cover their bases and avoid any lawsuit, and ok it's not a bad thing for the patient, but still...

On Sunday I got bit by a cat at work, and because his teeth cut through my skin, I had to go to the treatment center. Here's what they did:

- cleaned the wound

- flushed with 1000 mls of saline (It's a tiny hole, deep, but nonetheless small and the saline was just flowing on my fingers)

- 3 different views of X-rays of my hand (to make sure there is no pieces of tooth)

- Tetanus shot (even if I was current with a shot in 2002, they say the more the merrier)

- 10 days of Antibiotiques (which was the ONLY reason why i went to the treatment center....)

You're right Mephys. When bro' was doing residency first thing he learned was just do the tests, for legal reasons do the tests regardless if they are indicated or not. Animals have really dirty mouths, almost as bad as human mouth. Sad but true. :crying:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

- cleaned the wound

You're right Mephys. When bro' was doing residency first thing he learned was just do the tests, for legal reasons do the tests regardless if they are indicated or not. Animals have really dirty mouths, almost as bad as human mouth. Sad but true. :crying:

Well, I can say a couple of things about that...

1. I got a bad blister while in Canada the first time I was there, so I had no choice but to see a doctor at a clinic. He opened it up, cleaned it with silver, gave me a tetanus shot, and medication. Perhaps he didn't make me do any tests like x-rays, but they didn't have those available at the clinic either (from what I could tell, if they did, he would've done it). All of this was performed by the so-called "always wonderful, never bad, government-run Canadian healthcare system that doesn't perform unncessary tests" too. Go figure. :whistle:

2. From the studies I've seen in recent years, it's a myth to say that the mouths of animals are cleaner than human mouths. That doesn't mean you'd want to get bitten by either, but let's look at this logically. Animals lick their genitals, their rears, and anything they tend to see. Humans, on the other hand, generally don't do this (at least quite as often) and most of hopefully brush our teeth, floss and use mouthwash. I'd have to say, just off-hand, that the average human mouth is probably a little cleaner than the average animal mouth. ;)

Filed: Timeline

:lol:

this logically. Animals lick their genitals, their rears, and anything they tend to see. Humans, on the other hand, generally don't do this (at least quite as often) and most of hopefully brush our teeth, floss and use mouthwash. I'd have to say, just off-hand, that the average human mouth is probably a little cleaner than the average animal mouth. ;)

Yeah, especially as we get older. We're just not as limber as we used to be. :hehe:

iagree.gif

Okay, I am SICK TO DEATH of those little tiny flies!!!! I mean.... seriously. #######?!!!!! :ranting:

Yeah I don't know what's up with that, I found a bunch of little moth/flies looking thing since last week and hubby says not to worry it's normal.....and I am freaking out cause I don't want to have moth in my stuff cause it happened to my mom when I was a kid and I was finding cocoons and caterpillars everwhere...

YIKES! :unsure:

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Timeline
Okay, I am SICK TO DEATH of those little tiny flies!!!! I mean.... seriously. #######?!!!!! :ranting:

You live in Florida, so it can be humid there... so those tiny little flies might be "drain flies." Those generally surface when there's leftover organic matter in drains (makes sense, considering the name, right?). Unfortunately, your options are limited if this is the case. Regular extermination techniques won't work.

I've dealt with these f#ckers before and as far as I know, only several things manage to have any effect:

1. Fly paper (lots and lots of it; fly paper towers are especially useful).

2. Pouring bleach down the drains. Not too much, usually about two cups worth. This is best done at night before bed, since you have to let it sit for a while and not use the water. When you wake up in the morning, run the hot water through the drains hard and fast for a bit. You may need to repeat this several days in a row if the situation is bad.

3. A special organic matter-eating gel that can be poured down the drain. It's thick, so it'll need to be used carefully and washed out with hot water (like the bleach), but it might work better too. The downside is it tends to cost a lot more for a lot less in terms of liquid container size.

4. Your last option would be to set off "bug bombs" but in order to do this, you would either have to temporarily move most, if not all, of the furniture and important items out of the house/apartment or at least, cover them extremely well with thick plastic and tape. These "bug bombs" tend to plaster the entire area with a powder that's toxic to insects that gets over everything. It can be a real mess and a very tedious clean-up job, but if you have a serious infestation, it might be that or move.

One last thing I've noticed is that this problem only seems to surface when it starts getting warm outside (which usually happens around April here in Texas, and Florida has similar weather) and goes away as it starts getting colder. Unfortunately, that doesn't occur until about November or sometimes even December.

EDIT: My wife did find a "natural" way of killing the flies once (it involves making some sort of mixtures with household cooking items), but I can't remember the recipe. I'll have to find it again.

Edited by DeadPoolX

My non-humble opinion, which I tried to conceal for a couple of days since it is quite poignant and I tried to let my anger cool to no avail.

The health care "system" in the US is at best, a bad joke. We have had nothing but grief from the "professionals" who would look over Bren. Financial gain is the name of the game here; and I find that disgusting - screw the patient and show me the money. We have an excellent benefits package; but nonetheless the common attitude of 'docs' around this area is so arrogant and impersonal I want to cry. But at least we have insurance. I cannot but feel for all those who cannot possibly afford insurance, and hence have to get sicker and sicker and sicker, until yes, they're about to freaking die and THEN someone will 'kindly' see them. Inhumane. Freaking dogs are treated better at shelters than the working class and the poor at a "health care" facility.

end of vent... for now.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!

Jesus Mary and Joseph!!! I was just outside watering my potted plants. When I opened the sliding door to come back in, A FREAKING LIZARD RAN INSIDE!!!!! :o

I just stood there and went Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!

Ran around after him for a bit. More Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhs!!!! (The neighbours were probably thinking I was crazy at this point.)

When I couldn't herd him out the door, I ran and got a container and chased him around with that for a while. Little ba$tard ran and hid under the furniture so I was pulling that stuff out into the middle of the living room with super-human strength. Thankfully I was finally able to corral him into a corner and scoop him into the container.

Jaysus. :dead:

You live in Florida, so it can be humid there... so those tiny little flies might be "drain flies." Those generally surface when there's leftover organic matter in drains (makes sense, considering the name, right?). Unfortunately, your options are limited if this is the case. Regular extermination techniques won't work.

Ohhhhhhhh. Okay, that makes sense. ( DRAIN flies?! Now I've heard everything. :lol: ) Thanks DeadPool. I'm going to try the bleach thing first. Sheesh. What a pain. Well, at least we don't have centipedes. Those things are NASTY. :crying:

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Jesus Mary and Joseph!!! I was just outside watering my potted plants. When I opened the sliding door to come back in, A FREAKING LIZARD RAN INSIDE!!!!! :o

Ran around after him for a bit. More Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhs!!!! (The neighbours were probably thinking I was crazy at this point.)

When I couldn't herd him out the door, I ran and got a container and chased him around with that for a while. Little ba$tard ran and hid under the furniture so I was pulling that stuff out into the middle of the living room with super-human strength. Thankfully I was finally able to corral him into a corner and scoop him into the container.

Ohhhhhhhh. Okay, that makes sense. ( DRAIN flies?! Now I've heard everything. :lol: ) Thanks DeadPool. I'm going to try the bleach thing first. Sheesh. What a pain. Well, at least we don't have centipedes. Those things are NASTY. :crying:

:o and :lol:

Last night there was another one on the patio, Mike just picks them up and helps them escape out of the little opening in the screen (which we now have 'screen repair' for). I'm just sitting there thinking, i'm so glad he doesn't mind those lizardssssssssss.

This was the little lizard thing and not like a leg biting one right?? :huh:

Oh and I was reading that as of March something people in Lake Mary have to drive to Orlando to apply for their SSN. Rats.

Edited by trailmix

This was the little lizard thing and not like a leg biting one right?? :huh:

:o You mean there are LEG-biting lizards too?!!!!!!!! :crying:

Oh and I was reading that as of March something people in Lake Mary have to drive to Orlando to apply for their SSN. Rats.

OrLANDo?? Yeesh. That's a pain. There's got to be one in Sanford at least. I know the one here in my area is familiar with them. ;) lol

iagree.gif

Timeline

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am seriously laughing so hard that I'm crying right now. :lol:

That little event reminded me of my wife when we were in Mexico and a lizard was by our hotel room door. She started getting all panicky about it coming inside the room. Having lived in Texas my whole life, lizards didn't bother me at all. The conversation went something like this:

[Me] "What's wrong?"

[Her] "That!"

[Me] "It's a lizard, so?" *goes to unlock the door*

[Her] "Wait! Don't do that! It might come in!"

[Me] I thought you weren't afraid of things like this...

[Her] Well... I'm not. So long as they stay outside. When they invade my living space, it's an entirely different matter."

[Me] "I see."

[Her] "Yeah."

[Me] "So what do you want me to do with it?"

[Her] "Get rid of it!"

[Me] "Okay." *shrugs and attempts to smash it*

[Her] *grabs DPX's arm*

[Me] "What?"

[Her] "Don't kill it."

[Me] "..."

And so on... :P

The one thing my wife really, really hates -- and is actually terrified of -- are centipedes. When she was briefly living in Ottawa with a few female roomates, the house she stayed in apparently had an infestation of "house centipedes." I've never seen these things in real life, but according to my wife, they are the "worst of a spider and a garden centipede combined" plus it moves extremely fast and climbs everywhere. The part that really freaked her out was that one night, one of those house centipedes decided to run across her face while she was in bed, drifting off to sleep (but not quite out cold).

Ever since then, she can't look at a centipede without practically getting sick. In addition, one of her requirements in choosing a place to live is "no house centipedes." She doesn't care if they're outside, but just so long as they don't come inside, she's fine. For the record, we don't get house centipedes in Houston, because they seem to like basements and you can't have basements in Houston. The ground is too soft (almost like New Orleans, but not quite as bad) and if there were basements, they would flood.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am seriously laughing so hard that I'm crying right now. :lol:

Seriously. Those things can SCOOT, man. Well, they have more legs than me, so I guess it's only natural. :lol:

The one thing my wife really, really hates -- and is actually terrified of -- are centipedes. When she was briefly living in Ottawa with a few female roomates, the house she stayed in apparently had an infestation of "house centipedes." I've never seen these things in real life, but according to my wife, they are the "worst of a spider and a garden centipede combined" plus it moves extremely fast and climbs everywhere. The part that really freaked her out was that one night, one of those house centipedes decided to run across her face while she was in bed, drifting off to sleep (but not quite out cold).

OMG, a centipede across the face would FINISH me. Seriously. I'd be batting at imaginary stuff for years to come. They are horrid things. And did she tell you about killing them? Sometimes when you smash them you only get part of them. So the flat end will be stuck to the wall and the other end will still be running away. OMG. *shudder*

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.