Empress of Groovy

Any runners out there?

18 posts in this topic

Hi, everyone

I had an anterior and lateral compartment fasciotomy on both legs this year, the right in January and the left in August. I'm pretty much fully healed and, for the first time in years, can run for more than 15 minutes without terrible pain! Woo hoo! (I'm guessing that serious runners have probably heard of exertional compartment syndrome--I had a textbook case.)

I'm thinking of training for the Phoenix half marathon, which is in January and is a comparatively easy course. I've never run in an organized event like this but figure I'd be more motivated to run regularly if I have a goal in mind. I'm in decent shape but have put on a bit of beer weight over the last couple of years (the curse of the 30s, I think).

Just thought I'd open up the topic to hear from anyone who runs competitively or competitively/recreationally. Any tips? Stories?

~Julie

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

I started running when I was in the Corps but kind of petered out after I got over 40. Now it is just the gym 5 days a week.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I tore my right ACL over 2 years ago playing basketball. Because I did damage to the meniscus, I get this shot of pain if I twist too much with my foot planted, but feel no real discomfort when jogging on a treadmill. Are you taking Glucosamine?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

First of all Congrats on setting a goal and going after it! I am A Physical Therapist and A runner.

My suggestion is if you are 100% recovered then start slowly and work your way up to a few days /week of moderate intensity jogging. be sure to set aside defininative rest days.

One very important point.

Although you are not in PT I strongly reccomend doing the Strength stability exercises Consider it Pre-habilitation ( Preventing injury)

And do not neglect your flexibility and strength training.

Also Put some good thought and time into chosing a running shoe with plenty of cushion and moderate stability.

You should get a crosstraining shoe Susch as the Brooks Adrenaline GTS or NEw balance. You need to go try on severla pairs talk to a professional about what shoe would work best for your anatomy and gait pattern, also mention your goals of the 1/2 marathon.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your training.

Actually a good way to motivate and help others is maybe we should create a seperate thread fro a Training LOG,

What did you do today and briefly describe exercise goals and progress, fitness tips, new fitness gadgets you use, ect..

gewelcome-vi.gif

3dflagsdotcom_japan_2faws-vi.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE:Like you all, I am not an attorney ; I am a layperson (I have laid a lot of persons ) My advice is based on Experience obtained by filing ourselves

AOS met in Japan 1994 married 10/2004

DO:Los Angeles,Ca.

6/17/06 Forms Sent (I-130, I-485, and I-765)

6/19/06 RD I-130,I-485, I-765

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

7/15/06 Biometrics complete Day 22

8/4/06 Interview Notice Rcvd Day 42

9/9/06 EAD Card Received :)Day 78

9/13/06 SS Card Received :)Day 82

9/27/06 AOS Interview Los Angeles APPROVED LPR Day 96

12/04/06 Welcome To the United States Letter received

12/08/06 Green Card Received- expires 12/2016

Timeline

One other thing that will defiantly help motivate you

Garmin Forerunner GPS

gewelcome-vi.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE:Like you all, I am not an attorney ; I am a layperson (I have laid a lot of persons ) My advice is based on Experience obtained by filing ourselves

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

Howdy!

Thanks for such a detailed reply. I have been starting off very slowly. I'm averaging about 2.5 miles a day on the treadmill. I'm only 7 weeks postsurgery on the left leg, and I don't want to overdo it. Plus, I am prone to shin splints (the classic type), so I have every reason to take it slowly! Maybe a 1/2 marathon in January is a bit ambitious--I don't know.

I did get myself a good pair of Brooks running shoes, which I bought at a foot place. They're the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

I went to PT twice a week for a month after the surgery, and I did learn lots of useful exercises that are also good for shin splints. I was the PT's first compartment syndrome patient. I think he did a fine job, although I could have done without the painful massage.

I like the idea of a training log. I imagine that once I really get going, the stamina progress will be quite motivating in itself.

I might have to wait on the GPS thingy. $215!

K-1

AOS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Timeline
Howdy!

Thanks for such a detailed reply. I have been starting off very slowly. I'm averaging about 2.5 miles a day on the treadmill. I'm only 7 weeks postsurgery on the left leg, and I don't want to overdo it. Plus, I am prone to shin splints (the classic type), so I have every reason to take it slowly! Maybe a 1/2 marathon in January is a bit ambitious--I don't know.

I did get myself a good pair of Brooks running shoes, which I bought at a foot place. They're the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

I went to PT twice a week for a month after the surgery, and I did learn lots of useful exercises that are also good for shin splints. I was the PT's first compartment syndrome patient. I think he did a fine job, although I could have done without the painful massage.

I like the idea of a training log. I imagine that once I really get going, the stamina progress will be quite motivating in itself.

I might have to wait on the GPS thingy. $215!

Keep up with the exercises you were taught in PT they will help to strengthen the anterior & posterior stuctures of the lower leg.

Keep doing your exercises if you were given a thera-band and shown stretch band exercises i would keep doing those Pre-habilitation

Stretch , Stretch & Stretch! Good Luck & keep us all posted on your progress

gewelcome-vi.gif

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

Filed: Timeline

The Garmin GPS is the greatest!!! I wouldnt' have made it through my marathon without it! (though it wont' do much good on a treadmill. But then again who wants to run a half marathon on a treadmill??!) And it doesn't have to be $215. Check out this link. I think I have the 101 or 201 and it looks like those are $99.

http://garmn.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/16...in-Fitness.html

Good luck!

Married 3/31/07

DCF Madrid-04/22/07

Green Card Granted 5/29/07

DH arrived in USA to live with me for good! 6/3/07

Filing for removal of conditions by 5/29/09

Baby girl due on 5/17/09

Timeline
The Garmin GPS is the greatest!!! I wouldnt' have made it through my marathon without it! (though it wont' do much good on a treadmill. But then again who wants to run a half marathon on a treadmill??!) And it doesn't have to be $215. Check out this link. I think I have the 101 or 201 and it looks like those are $99.

http://garmn.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/16...in-Fitness.html

Good luck!

I bought the 1st generation 201 Still using it. It works great. I think I might upgrade to the 205 as the GPS is more accurate and has a higher sensitivity.

I love my Forerunner, when they 1st came out it was funny, I would run with this Nike Running Group ( about 75-100 people) and there were a handfull of us who had our Garmin Forerunners, we labeled as the geek watch runners. We would stand in a tight circle staring down at our "geeK watches" and watching them sync then compare them after the run.

I dont use the PC interface tool much mostly because I do not have the the time, I like the histroy it stores and how you can look into the last run and see avergae pace, calories burned ect.. I even use it when i am Hiking or trail riding on my Mt. Bike.

My Favorite tech toy ! Now if they can integrate and Mp3 player into it I would be thrilled!

gewelcome-vi.gif

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

I am pretty sure the illegal aliens too do lots of running lol :jest:

Citizenship

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

CIS Office : San Francisco CA

Date Filed : 2008-06-11

NOA Date : 2008-06-18

Bio. Appt. : 2008-07-08

Citizenship Interview

USCIS San Francisco Field Office

Wednesday, September 10,2008

Time 2:35PM

• 6 months later...

I thought I'd resurrect this thread because I need some running motivation. Unfortunately, it's starting to get warm here in Phoenix, so I'm either going to have to start getting up really early to go on outdoor runs, or confine much of my training to a treadmill.

These days, I'm running about 15 miles a week. I hope to increase this to 20 in the coming weeks.

The only physical complaint I have at this point involves side stitches. I do seem to be getting them less often than I used to. For you experienced runners, is this typically a novice runner's complaint? It's really starting to piss me off.

No problem at all w/ the compartment syndrome. It seems that a fasciotomy really does the trick!

K-1

AOS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I thought I'd resurrect this thread because I need some running motivation. Unfortunately, it's starting to get warm here in Phoenix, so I'm either going to have to start getting up really early to go on outdoor runs, or confine much of my training to a treadmill.

These days, I'm running about 15 miles a week. I hope to increase this to 20 in the coming weeks.

The only physical complaint I have at this point involves side stitches. I do seem to be getting them less often than I used to. For you experienced runners, is this typically a novice runner's complaint? It's really starting to piss me off.

No problem at all w/ the compartment syndrome. It seems that a fasciotomy really does the trick!

what i know is stitches is gas in the stomach, everyone may get it not only novice runners..avoid too much food and watter before training, high carbohydrate consumption can also cause stitches...when you get it anyway, try to press on the painful area and slow the pace down.

hope that help. i am not an experienced runner though...

by the way, did you run last january?

In my previous experience, my trainer gave me at least 16-20 weeks of regular running to adequately prepare for a marathon. It was enough time for me to start out with a relatively low amount of mileage and later, build on my weekly mileage. I had to be consistent (that included waking up very early in the morning) until I was able to complete my runs of approx. 20 miles. This gave me sufficient amount of time to build up on my weekly mileage to reach distances which eventually gave me the physical strength as well as the confidence to know that I can complete a marathon. The warming up stage was very important since I just got out of a knee injury, and my right leg muscles atrophied and the inadeqaute calcium made my bones brittle.

I don't know how it would be possible for you there but I supplemented the training with swimming to strengthen the muscles and increase lung power/breathing and to regulate the oxygen properly when I am stressed from running and my speed.

Also, I had ankle weights (I started with 2 lbs.) to strengthen the bone and muscles of the legs.

Imagine me not being able to walk full function for a year and how I had to avoid the inclined terrains for the first months of my recovery. I couldn't climb stairs. But with your persistence, those little steps will come a long way.

With the food intake, make sure you have enough calories (carb:protein:fat) before the running. I was advised not to eat 40-60 minutes before and after the actual running. And to allow for your muscles to repair, eat more protein after the activity.

Best of luck to you! :thumbs:

Edited by krakatoa