Peikko

What should happen to agriculture in the US?

76 posts in this topic

Carols Marc, have you started your Victory Garden yet?

Gary, the crops that are not being harvested are apparantly crops that cannot be harvested mechanically. I am not sure what the alternative is to hand picking in this instance. Of course, if the farmers are willing to pay a wage that people are prepared to pick for and they can get people to migrate around the counrty, then, problem solved, but currently, that isn't the case.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, the crops that are not being harvested are apparantly crops that cannot be harvested mechanically. I am not sure what the alternative is to hand picking in this instance. Of course, if the farmers are willing to pay a wage that people are prepared to pick for and they can get people to migrate around the counrty, then, problem solved, but currently, that isn't the case.

LOL, Nope Im a squre foot gardener :dance::dance: I cant grow squat!

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

It will have to be the case. The day of a migration of illegal workers is coming to an end. Just maybe they will convince congress to create a seasonal worker visa that really works to fix their problem.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
well u're kinda right... food is not exactly a very elastic product demandwise.. but are Americans willing to pay more for produce? gas and electricity are necessary, but out of the basic produce (corn, wheat, etc), we really don't NEED them..

and Gary, getting all the produce outside the States, that's not a good idea, it happened in MExico, and Mexico's farm is ###### up man.. gettin almost all the food from imports is not the best idea when you can produce that produce (LOL) locally

It will only be for this season. When the farmers understand the slave labor they were used to is gone they will make provisions to have legal workers for the next harvest.

but yea, u're right about the producers, most farmland is anyway owned by the big dogs.. so, definitely they CAN increase the wages or improve living conditions..

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Actually, I do have a square foot garden and it's fantastic! :D

but yea, u're right about the producers, most farmland is anyway owned by the big dogs.. so, definitely they CAN increase the wages or improve living conditions..

Is that true for these type of crops and if it is true, do you really want farming to only be in the hands of the 'big dogs'?

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Is that true for these type of crops and if it is true, do you really want farming to only be in the hands of the 'big dogs'?

There are dozens of you-pick places here, thats what I do.

I am not beyond harvesting crops after work or on week-ends for a little extra money.

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

I am not trying to argue the case for the illegal worker, just in case anyone has mistakenly gained that impression.

It already is. I grew up on a family farm so I know a little about it. With the cost of equipment, overhead and land a small farm just can't make money any more. All the farms in my area have been consolidated into a few large operations. Like it or not the day of the small family farm is over.

Pick your own. You know, I like that idea. Home grown and a little bit of work involved (with the family) to get some really nice produce. Is it really economic though?

So, essentially Gary, you are saying that this story is rubbish, and that there are workers willing to do the work and the big farmers only need to be prodded to pay enough money to make this a viable proposition for US citizens?

Pick your own. You know, I like that idea. Home grown and a little bit of work involved (with the family) to get some really nice produce. Is it really economic though?

If you have the land it is. I used to have an acre sized garden. We grew enough to feed a family 5 for the whole year. We would can, freeze and otherwise preserve enough food to last until the next harvest. We did that all through my youth and I wish I had the land to do it some more. All we would buy at the store is stuff we couldn't grow.

So, essentially Gary, you are saying that this story is rubbish, and that there are workers willing to do the work and the big farmers only need to be prodded to pay enough money to make this a viable proposition for US citizens?

Thats it. If you pay enough they will come.

Well, I guess time will tell. You don't subscribe to the Boo-Yah 'they will only work if they can become pop stars' theory then?

Oh, I meant 'pick your own' on the commercial scale as apposed to the 'Victory Garden' model.

Well, I guess time will tell. You don't subscribe to the Boo-Yah 'they will only work if they can become pop stars' theory then?

I spent my youth picking apples, working fields, putting up hay and other farm work. It's better than starving.

That's you, but apparently the youth of today is lazy and living on handouts so have no incentive to get off their arses and work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
That's you, but apparently the youth of today is lazy and living on handouts so have no incentive to get off their arses and work.

maybe if ipods and playstations grew on trees they'd be picking them :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I am sure there are enough people out there that will do it. I don't believe in the "jobs Americans won't do" #######.