mopsie

question about importing personal stuff

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

I have a question for my crossing the border in a few weeks. In the Guide to Customs Regulations, it says:

Books, Video Tapes, Computer Programs and Cassettes

Pirated copies of copyrighted articles (unlawfully made reproductions or articles produced without the copyright owner’s authorization, e.g., music CDs, toys, clothing with cartoon characters, etc.,) are prohibited from importation into the United States. Pirated copies will be seized and destroyed.

Now I have some classical music cassette tapes that I recorded off the radio. Should I not bring those? My mom also gave me some music cds that she had copied off of old vinyl records at least 30 years old. Would the copyright from 30 years ago still apply today? Are they going to be a problem? Anybody have any experience here?

Thanks

Most of the time, they basically look to see that you have an itemized list and waive your ####### through and focus on the paperwork...

so I doubt they'll ask you to open up box #42 and look through your music

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Hi,

I have a question for my crossing the border in a few weeks. In the Guide to Customs Regulations, it says:

Books, Video Tapes, Computer Programs and Cassettes

Pirated copies of copyrighted articles (unlawfully made reproductions or articles produced without the copyright owner’s authorization, e.g., music CDs, toys, clothing with cartoon characters, etc.,) are prohibited from importation into the United States. Pirated copies will be seized and destroyed.

Now I have some classical music cassette tapes that I recorded off the radio. Should I not bring those? My mom also gave me some music cds that she had copied off of old vinyl records at least 30 years old. Would the copyright from 30 years ago still apply today? Are they going to be a problem? Anybody have any experience here?

Thanks

liz - you telling me i have to itemize everything i'm taking across the border..... :crying: ...i better start now cause i'm going to have a u-hual of stuff.... :lol:

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I itemized by box-- ie. Box 1 : books, Box 2: home decor, Box 3: kitchen appliances/tools, etc.

You don't have to individually name every single item in each box. Categories will suffice. When it comes to the big ticket items, like TVs, etc., it would be good to have their serial numbers and approximate values listed.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I itemized by box-- ie. Box 1 : books, Box 2: home decor, Box 3: kitchen appliances/tools, etc.

You don't have to individually name every single item in each box. Categories will suffice. When it comes to the big ticket items, like TVs, etc., it would be good to have their serial numbers and approximate values listed.

Box 4: Pirated CD's. :dance:

Ya, you just have to have a list basically of what you're putting into each box.

Each box should be numbered and the POE guy should be able to look at the list and know what's in what box by it...

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Timeline

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

:lol: :lol:

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

Like I said....I best get busy and get to marking whats in those boxes....I have a shed full...and then some.... :help::unsure:

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

Timeline
Like I said....I best get busy and get to marking whats in those boxes....I have a shed full...and then some.... :help::unsure:

use this as a really great opportunity to purge a lot of stuff. :)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

:lol:

Box 5: DVDs of Michael Moore movies. :P

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

I thought I had....guess there is always more that can be purged.... :lol:

Timeline

Oh the joys of being young and able to fit my entire life into two suitcases :innocent:

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

What I mean is, I'm not deliberately pirating anything. My parents had all these old vinyl records, which were copyrighted but are no longer being manufactured, and we simply transferred the music to cd's so we wouldn't have to bother with the obsolete records anymore. I want to take some of those cd's with me, for my own use, and I'm just wondering if the border guards were to search my stuff and ask me about them, if that would be a problem. I've also made cassette tapes of classical music from the radio, which should not be a problem, but I just thought I'd ask you guys.

Thanks

Timeline

ah copyright law, that's a quick easy subject. generally copies of music for personal use and backup aren't illeagal. ie. mix tapes are completely legal. so it's all about the line between "mix tapes" and pirated music. it's a lot more gray than it first appears. However, the fact that you are even thinking about the subject makes me think that you don't need to worry.

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.