cbd2cai

Yallah Middle East 2.0

1,873 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi a1angied. If you haven't already, check out the guides at the top of the page. They lay out the different visa processes and can help you chose which one will work best for you.

Getting married in a foreign country requires that you jump through a lot of hoops. If you only have a short time in Jordan, it might be better spent getting to know your future husband and his family, rather than running around to different agencies filling out all of the required paperwork.

I visited Egypt 3 times (for a total of about 2 months) in the 4 years before my husband came to the United States. That time was invaluable getting to know if we were compatible. After chatting awhile online and deciding that we wanted a relationship, I was all for being together ASAP. But, looking back now (4 years later!), the time we took strengthened our relationship and has made for a much more secure marriage now that we're actually together. It is very exciting to find "the one," but don't throw caution to the wind :)

Best of luck and welcome to the VJ midde east/north africa family!

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
I have an opinion on the K1 or K3 issue. We went the K3 route because my husband and his family wanted us to marry there. They were not comfortable with him going away to a different country and marrying in America. I am glad we married there, it gave me a chance to meet his family and get to know them. K3 was not long, (6 months) it was waiting for the interview in Amman that was the wait. And K1/K3 wait the same time for an interview I believe.

Welcome to VisaJourney, my name is Jackie and my husband was from Alhusn, just south of Irbid. If you need any traveling tips before going into Jordan, please ask.

Jackie

Small world, my fiance is from there too, alothough he lives in Zarka now. (F) We also wanted to get married in Jordan, I filed the K-1 against my will. :( I actually went to Jordan for a Wedding, but we had lots of drama with the chruch and the only option was to get engaged. I wish I could go and get married there, its so much better than doing it here. We plan to go back as soon as humanly possible to have a party with his family and we are hoping that his parents can get a visa to come here for the wedding at the very least.

It just won't feel like a wedding to me unless his family is with us. :(

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline
I am new to this but it seemd that I might of found the someone who can help me. I am plannign to go to Amman in July or August to marry the man of my dreams. We met online and have been communicating for a few months. I am taking my vacation time from work and going to marry him. I want to be able to bring him to me the easiest and fastest way. Please help me so that I can be happy as you are :help: . If anyone can help me I would be very greatful. I want to do it right the first time so that no delays.

Hi a1angied . Welcome to the Middle East/NA forum

The wait times for the K1 , K3, and Cr 1 are about the same now. I think some of the girls already posted how slow the embassy is now. My husband's friend's brother and his wife are during a DCF- Direct Consular Filing where the spouse resides in the country and files for an immigrant visa. They just got their interiew date for next year 2007, so he sent her home for awhile because she has been there for months.

If you have any questions just posted them and we'll try to do our best to answer them. Myself i went there and married and came home and filed for the CR1 but also filed for the K3 because thought it would be approved faster, but our CR1 was approved first. Good luck!

Angel

i dont want to get nailed for this....but im gonna go ahead and say it....if your husband is muslim...i strongly suggest getting married there....it is better for him, his family, and i believe for the embassy, i have heard k1 thru jordan (fiance visa) is tough, because it is widely known....muslims should not be with their significant other, until after the wedding, and the embassy holds this true.....if he is christian i aplogogize for jumping to conclusions, but, jordan is 95% muslim right? jordan has a horrible wait time, so expect this to take you about 2 years start to finish....enjoy your trip to jordan, its a beautiful country....i lived there for 9 months with my husband as we filed directly thru the embassy.....it was a nice loooooong vacation....if u ever need advice, travel tips, etc, im all ears!

Filed DCF in Jordan from 7-05 to 3-06, Approved for I-R1.

Immigration Free until 2008.

Two Hearts, Two Different Places, Sharing One Dream

We were strangers~ Starting out on a journey~Never dreaming What we'd have to go through ~Now here we are ~ And I'm suddenly standing ~ At the beginning with you ~ No one told me I was going to find you ~ Unexpected ~ What you did to my heart ~ When I lost hope You were there to remind me ~ This is the start ~ Life is a road And I want to keep going ~ Love is a river I wanna keep flowing ~ Life is a road Now and forever ~ Wonderful journey ~ I'll be there When the world stops turning~ I'll be there When the storm is through ~ In the end I wanna be standing At the beginning with you~

.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

yes you have to take into account the fact that it will take a while... because Jordan is processing visas for Jordan, Palestinians, and Iraqis right now... so they're kinda backed up

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

20 Days ... :whistle:

Reunited and it feels so good ....

NOA #1 - March 23rd, 2004

Interview- May 18th, 2006 (Success !)

Arrived in the US - May 27, 2006 (our IR-1 visa journey was 2 years and 2 months long)

Wedding - June 17th, 2006

It's a Girl ! Baby Hana's expected due date - March 30th, 2007

591088.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
You won't get nailed Kelly. i think all of us that been thru Jordan know how it is there. the exception is Miss JP who had to be different.. :lol::lol:

LOLOLOL and at this rate..estimating a 2007 interview I'll be in that other boat for awhile :crying: But Kelly's reasoning is very interesting, I never thought of it that way. Although its even haram for us (christians) to be together before the marriage and there is no worry for that because he will be staying in a house with me and my parents until the wedding.

My room is at one end of the hall and his will be at the other and my dads room in the middle :lol: I actually kinda agree with Kelly too, I was planning on doing the K-3 and ended up with a K-1 against my will. That makes me curious.

When I went to Jordan to get married I had to have a statement from the church that says I'm not married and able to marry. Did any of you have to show any proof to anyone that you were not married? I was married before and the church knew that, they told us the only way I could have a 'legitimate marriage" was to have that paper that says im not married anymore (from the church) They would have let us marry without it but on our marriage certificate they would have put that it was my first wedding and for some reason they told us that would not fly with the embassy. They said that the embassy would question why does the paper say first wedding because they would have on record that I was married before and that would invalidate it.

Does anyone know anything about this? Those of you that married the Islamic way, did you have to provide anything? This confuses me to this day....... :unsure:

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance: Can't wait!!!

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

i dont want to get nailed for this....but im gonna go ahead and say it....if your husband is muslim...i strongly suggest getting married there....it is better for him, his family, and i believe for the embassy, i have heard k1 thru jordan (fiance visa) is tough, because it is widely known....muslims should not be with their significant other, until after the wedding, and the embassy holds this true.....if he is christian i aplogogize for jumping to conclusions, but, jordan is 95% muslim right? jordan has a horrible wait time, so expect this to take you about 2 years start to finish....enjoy your trip to jordan, its a beautiful country....i lived there for 9 months with my husband as we filed directly thru the embassy.....it was a nice loooooong vacation....if u ever need advice, travel tips, etc, im all ears!

Kelly,

I think this is a valid point that is often overlooked - and holds true for other places as well. People focus on the visa wait time and other visa-related benefits but how it affects you on a personal level is important too. It took us two weeks to get married once he arrived, and it made for a very uncomfortable situation. When talking to his family, they would ask if we had married yet. He worried that our neighbors and others were gossiping about how we living together unmarried, incorrectly assuming we shared a room. Even when I explained the same stigma is not attached to it here as it is in his country, it still troubled him because he felt it was wrong.

I think for people where these types of issues will present a problem, it really is worthwhile considering marrying abroad. I think it is great you brought it up, Kelly, because this aspect is rarely discussed. Those first few weeks can be tough as it is, and why throw in any additional complicating factors.

Rebecca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The discomfort could be solved by having a religious marriage without registering it civilally. That's what my husband and I did. *shrugs*

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

The discomfort could be solved by having a religious marriage without registering it civilally. That's what my husband and I did. *shrugs*

Where my husband inquired in Morocco, they would not perform an Islamic marriage if one party was American without the paperwork that goes along with the civil marriage. Maybe it depends where you go in Morocco, but it wasn't an option for us. I know some people do a milk/dates exchange and/or have Al-Fatiha read in front of two witnesses, and this is enough for them. It really is up to the individuals and what feels right to them. My husband definitely felt the formal Islamic marriage contract (and all that entails) was what made us "married".

I also didn't plan on getting married there my first time - I wanted to make sure that when I got home, when the "high" was over, this was what I really wanted. Hindsight is 20/20. It is hard to say I would do it differently because we are both happy now, but I do think going back a second time and getting married would have pleased his family.

It took time here because the Imam wanted us to set up meetings with him before he performed the marriage, to talk with us/counsel us.

Rebecca

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

JP I think all of us had to go to the embassy in amman and get our paper notarize that we were free to marry from american services. This paper is then taking to some gov't office it's just to show that you are not still married in the usa. Actually I remember getting that paper and Anmar taking to a gov't office and then we went back to irbid and got our blood tests and once they came back we had our islamic marriage and then 3 days later we had our wedding party.

Edited by angelk96

Filed: Timeline

This is what Yousuf and I did. We have our marriage contract and as far as anyone in our family is concerned, we are married... we just don't have the marriage license from the govt so he can come on a fiance visa and we'll go to the court house the day he arrives, inshallah, and get that... if it takes a little longer it's no big deal because like I said as far as we're concerned, we're already married... and most importantly, according to our religion. :luv:

You won't get nailed Kelly. i think all of us that been thru Jordan know how it is there. the exception is Miss JP who had to be different.. :lol::lol:

LOLOLOL and at this rate..estimating a 2007 interview I'll be in that other boat for awhile :crying: But Kelly's reasoning is very interesting, I never thought of it that way. Although its even haram for us (christians) to be together before the marriage and there is no worry for that because he will be staying in a house with me and my parents until the wedding.

My room is at one end of the hall and his will be at the other and my dads room in the middle :lol: I actually kinda agree with Kelly too, I was planning on doing the K-3 and ended up with a K-1 against my will. That makes me curious.

When I went to Jordan to get married I had to have a statement from the church that says I'm not married and able to marry. Did any of you have to show any proof to anyone that you were not married? I was married before and the church knew that, they told us the only way I could have a 'legitimate marriage" was to have that paper that says im not married anymore (from the church) They would have let us marry without it but on our marriage certificate they would have put that it was my first wedding and for some reason they told us that would not fly with the embassy. They said that the embassy would question why does the paper say first wedding because they would have on record that I was married before and that would invalidate it.

Does anyone know anything about this? Those of you that married the Islamic way, did you have to provide anything? This confuses me to this day....... :unsure:

When we were planning on getting the marriage license in Egypt we had to jump through so many hoops it was unreal. I was told that Yousuf had to have a paper from his govt saying that he was free to marry but I would not need that. The only thing I was supposed to have was my divorce decree, which I had to have certified by every branch of govt in the US before I left, and then once we were there I had to have it translated to Arabic and then again certified by every branch of govt in Egypt :angry:

After getting all that done when we went to his embassy to get his little peice of paper signed saying he was free to marry they gave him a list of all kinds of crazy things he had to show his own govt before they would sign that paper. Needless to say, since that would involve a trip back to Libya, we decided to forget about that and just file the fiance visa when I got home.

Filed: Timeline

This is what Yousuf and I did. We have our marriage contract and as far as anyone in our family is concerned, we are married... we just don't have the marriage license from the govt so he can come on a fiance visa and we'll go to the court house the day he arrives, inshallah, and get that... if it takes a little longer it's no big deal because like I said as far as we're concerned, we're already married... and most importantly, according to our religion. :luv:

When we were planning on getting the marriage license in Egypt we had to jump through so many hoops it was unreal. I was told that Yousuf had to have a paper from his govt saying that he was free to marry but I would not need that. The only thing I was supposed to have was my divorce decree, which I had to have certified by every branch of govt in the US before I left, and then once we were there I had to have it translated to Arabic and then again certified by every branch of govt in Egypt :angry:

After getting all that done when we went to his embassy to get his little peice of paper signed saying he was free to marry they gave him a list of all kinds of crazy things he had to show his own govt before they would sign that paper. Needless to say, since that would involve a trip back to Libya, we decided to forget about that and just file the fiance visa when I got home.

Yep... the bureaucracy is crazy...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.