trailmix

So Canadians - tell us about yourselves

128 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow, some of these stories are quite interesting. It makes us IR5s positively pale by comparison. :)

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Alrighty.

Well my board name comes from the football team I have supported since I was born, Manchester United. Years back they won three league titles in a row and consequently that time was known as..."the treble". No one has ever asked me that question before! haha! I'm a huge sports fan, but mostly football and hockey. My real name is Amanda.

Met my husband Jared on the net while I was at university. Long hours spent at my computer desk writing papers (was an english lit major) in my 3rd year resulted in meeting him on a message board for one of our favourite bands. We both are very in to music, the difference is he's not musically inclined at all, and I went to an arts highschool where I majored in vocal and dance. I play guitar and piano. So, I guess you could say, I was his little musician. I have one tattoo on my right arm that causes most people to look at it first before they look at me. It doesn't bother me much anymore.

NewYorkRedbullsGame002.jpg

Any ways, went back and forth for a couple years, got married, and here we are, living just 8 minutes outside his hometown in North Jersey. And it's alright, although I wish it were closer to my brothers, mum and dad.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure where I got my screen name from really, it just kind of popped into my head when I created my account here. (The 1979 part is my husband's birth year:)

We met in an online game called Star Wars Galaxies. As I type this right now, my husband is behind me gaming, and a few minutes ago we were running around together in one of our favorite games- City Of Villains.

We started our Visajourney last December and up until the bump in the road with interview waiting, I'd say we had a pretty smooth journey.

David has an adorable 4 year old daughter, I am childless thus far (not sure if I want kids yet, I change my mind about it daily :P ), however I have an adorable miniature poodle named Ruben who is sort of like an adopted child to me. David is a Coast Guard vet, and I'm unsure of what I want to be when I grow up, but am considering joining the Coast Guard myself once I have a greencard, or going to Veterinary school.

NEXT!

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm the priss around here with one 4 inch by 2 inch back piece :) tee hee I LOVE MY TAT!!!

Oh shush, yours is lovely. :)

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
or going to Veterinary school.

I've done so much "career-wise" but I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. :P I'd love to go to veterinary school but I feel like I'm too old to go through all that. Plus I'd have to get a GED here and then whatever else. I don't have much in the way of formal education despite the fact that I've been in some very professional corporate positions.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline

Flames9 of course comes from the worlds greatest hockey team, and 9 is my favorite #, as well always liked Lanny McDonald!!

We met playing crib on yahoo!! Met 1 night, chatted, and left. And by fluke we came upon each other again, and I believe we have never missed a day chatting since then (June 2001) We didn't meet until nearly a year later. She flew to Seattle, and I drove down from Victoria. And pretty much from then on, one of us traveled each month to see each other. Yes the airlines loved us. She was in DC. and I soon moved to Winnipeg and then eventually NS. I think the longest we were apart was 5 weeks, and that was because I was in Italy for a month. But I got up at god awful times just so we could chat! Our visa process went extremely well, around 6 months from start to finish for the Cr-1! She did work at State Dept, but none of her connections were much help,lol The process seemed to be a lot faster back then. She no longer works at State Dept, gone on to bigger and better, and I'm a RN student. Never in my life did I figure to be a Nurse,lol Oh ya, I have 2 tattoos, 1 is a Canadian flag. I got that prior to heading over to Croatia for a United nations Peacekeeping mission in 1993. And another is one I'm sort of embarrassed of--a teddy bear on a anchor!! i was drunk in San diego!! lol So yes, some shops will tattoo you if ur drunk,lol Proud to say I served in all 3 branches of the Canadian Armed Forces; Infantrymen in the Army Reserves. Transferred over to the regular Force navy, and then got applied for and got selected to transfer over to the Air Force as an Airborne Electronics sensor operator (AES op) flying on the Cp 140 Aurora. Best job I will probably ever have.

Edited by flames9

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I met my fiancee in an online chat room about 8 years ago and his nic on there was PrinceFknCharmin. I think it had a few #'s in there, but thats besides the point. Well thats where the "PFC" comes from in my nic. He always calls me "baby", so I figured PfcsBaby would just suit me. So thats how I came about my name for VJ. As far as my story, as I said we met online. At the time we both were in seperate relationships. I had a son in 2003 (the father never in the picture from the start) and about 6 months later, we started talking more and we both decided in December of 2004 we'd meet in person. Things were great. With his job, he couldnt take much time off, so I'd always go down to Georgia to see him. I was going at least once a month by myself for about 6 months. After that, I was bringing my son down with me too. My son calls him daddy. He is the only father he has ever known. In July of 2006 (my bday to be exact) he proposed. We both couldnt be happier. After that, we started the visa process. It has been a real long process so far. I've seen many on here that started the process after us and already been approved. I've always been worried about the interview and wondering what if they deny us, but after reading others stories about their interviews, I have more hope. I dont see any reason for them denying me, but it'll always be in the back of my head until I hear them at MTL say "your approved". But anyways, I'll end this now before I go on and on LOL. It's great to read what others have to say on here and thank a bunch with all the help I've gotten so far!!

Mary

Here's my K-1 Timeline:

October 2006 - I-129F sent

10/24/2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!....APPROVED!!

10/30/2007 - Visa in hand!

AOS Timeline:

1/30/08 - Sent AOS pkg Priority Mail with USPS

3/12/08 - Biometrics taken

3/29/08 - EAD and AP in hand for me and my son

5/21/08 - Email-GC on its way!...RFE for my son's application

5/27/08 - GC arrives!!!

7/02/08 - Sons GC arrives!!!

ROC TIMELINE

3/23/10 - ROC sent!

3/29/10 - NOA1

4/22/10 - Biometrics Appt for me and my son

6/30/10 - Email saying card production ordered for me and my son

7/6/10 - Letter in the mail saying cards will arrive within 60 days

7/10/10 - Both cards received!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Flames9 of course comes from the worlds greatest hockey team, and 9 is my favorite #, as well always liked Lanny McDonald!!

We met playing crib on yahoo!! Met 1 night, chatted, and left. And by fluke we came upon each other again, and I believe we have never missed a day chatting since then (June 2001) We didn't meet until nearly a year later. She flew to Seattle, and I drove down from Victoria. And pretty much from then on, one of us traveled each month to see each other. Yes the airlines loved us. She was in DC. and I soon moved to Winnipeg and then eventually NS. I think the longest we were apart was 5 weeks, and that was because I was in Italy for a month. But I got up at god awful times just so we could chat! Our visa process went extremely well, around 6 months from start to finish for the Cr-1! She did work at State Dept, but none of her connections were much help,lol The process seemed to be a lot faster back then. She no longer works at State Dept, gone on to bigger and better, and I'm a RN student. Never in my life did I figure to be a Nurse,lol Oh ya, I have 2 tattoos, 1 is a Canadian flag. I got that prior to heading over to Croatia for a United nations Peacekeeping mission in 1993. And another is one I'm sort of embarrassed of--a teddy bear on a anchor!! i was drunk in San diego!! lol So yes, some shops will tattoo you if ur drunk,lol Proud to say I served in all 3 branches of the Canadian Armed Forces; Infantrymen in the Army Reserves. Transferred over to the regular Force navy, and then got applied for and got selected to transfer over to the Air Force as an Airborne Electronics sensor operator (AES op) flying on the Cp 140 Aurora. Best job I will probably ever have.

I had you pegged as ex-military from the start. Anyone who likes Lanny McDonald is OK in my book, even if he looked better wearing number 7 for the blue and white. :thumbs:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

this thread rocks long time. :thumbs:

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline
Wow, some of these stories are quite interesting. It makes us IR5s positively pale by comparison. :)

This is so interesting!!

We love to hear IR5's tell about themselves....so tell us about yourself :) ?

Edited by trailmix

Hey guys! I'm the American in the relationship. Used to be obsessively on VJ, but then got crazy busy with work and life and took a break. Missed you guys too much though, so I am trying to come around more now!

My name comes from my favorite season: I especially love it up here in New England with the beautiful leaves and the crispness in the air.

Our story: Hubby and I first began as internet penpals. One night, after some alcohol was consumed by me, I suggested we chat on the phone to hear each other's accents. We were so freaked out about that first talk and said we would never do it again. Well, 14 months later, we had talked on the phone nearly daily, so we decided to meet in person. I was living in GA at the time, and we met in Atlanta. Then, we road tripped for about a month. Visited in Seattle after that and then I visited Vancouver, when he proposed. He came to GA May 2006 to help me move to NH and was back and forth until we got the fiance visa. Got married on Valentine's Day by a JOP and then had a church ceremony in April.

I am a psychotherapist and he is a carpenter.

Oh yeah, and we just found out I am pregnant!!!!!

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!! :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Now that I'm home from work I guess I'll chime in...not sure if my husband will. My name is pretty much who I am: KarenCee. "Cee" is the first initial of my middle name Cherié, hence KarenCee. Real original, right? ;) Joel and I met online through a cancer support group room on mIRC. I joined in April 2003 in that group because Momma's cancer had returned, metastatic breast cancer. I needed people to talk to that really understood what I was feeling inside. Not long after I started frequenting this support group chatroom Joel pops in one night, oh I guess somewhere around November 2003. During this time I was also going through the divorce from hell. Joel and I started talking privately about Mom's cancer, his own father's battle as well which ended in October 2001. We talked as if we'd known each other forever. I know many people say that but that's truly how it felt. Scary! I told him up front that I was not single...yet. Our friendship grew by leaps and bounds and I think I felt more than friendship but was too scared to admit it, even to myself. Eight months later, February 2004, I mentioned talking on the phone (yeah, it took a while :blush:) and that first call was made. LOL. His first words were "Wow, you DO have a southern accent!". That was only the beginning. In March I causally mentioned that I felt a road trip coming on (I was trying so hard to hint for an invititation to come see him) and he asked where I thought I might be going. I mentioned I'd like to see what Nova Scotia. Long story short, I flew up July 10, 2004...our first face to face. There are NO words guys...none...to describe the emotions and thoughts that went through my mind and heart. Suffice it to say he felt the same. :wub: That was only the beginning. Sept. 29, 2004 was our first I Love You said to each other as a couple in love. September 15, 2005 he asked me to marry him....long distance of course. As you can see we finally made it to the first finish line... a successful visa journey. Only thing left is to lift conditions and naturalise. YAY!!!!!!!! Then a few years after that we intend to move home...to Nova Scotia. :)

Momma died December 3, 2005. She did get to meet Joel on a couple of occasions when he was down visiting and spoke to him on the phone a few hours before she passed. He had her full blessing for marrying me. She wanted so much to be able to actually be at the wedding, but I feel very deeply that she WAS there...her spirit was there beside me, watching the whole thing. She was real nervous about me meeting a man online...until she met him. She loved him from the first and that meant the world to me. :D

So there you have it - our story...and one of these days I plan on writing the unabridged version into a book. Wonder if there's a market....

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!! :)

:dance: WOOT!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! :dance:

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Hey everyone! Great thread!

To start, I'm Nini (the Canuck), always the one to post in these forums. Bee (the American) gives me free reign to do the forum trolling on our behalf, since he doesn't like doing the obsessive research.

Nini is just a derivative of my real name, which is Nicole. It came about when I was browsing through my fiance's cell phone during a visit in PA. All the pictures of me were tagged Nini... so the name really stuck. His name is Benjamin, but after the Nini thing started so did the Bee thing, hehe. I came to be on VJ through doing the Google search for fiance petitions, and never looked back. It's been a miracle and a half since then :D

This is the part that makes me slightly embarrassed every time I talk about it... I met my fiance online while playing World of Warcraft. It's such a geeky thing to admit to! We were friends for a year and a half before we decided to take the plunge. Three months later, I flew out to meet him in PA. He dazzled me for the weekend in a little town called New Hope and since then we've been inseparable. Six months later, we filed for our petition under the impression of USCIS's lawl-case reports website and the idea that it would take us at least nine months' wait time to get our petition approved. Luckily enough, that has not been the case!

PS. Congratulations, autumnchik. :D

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.