trailmix

So Canadians - tell us about yourselves

128 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Peanut butter on pancakes....my husband does that and sometimes smashes a banana on top...oh and then he pours cream or milk over top.

So I like toast with peanut butter and banana, but seriously folks...he takes it over the top with the cream/milk thing....ewwwwwwwwww

Oct 1/09 - I-751 package sent

Oct 3 - package delivered

Oct 5 - NOA mailed

Oct 13 - 1st NOA received and additional letters for my daughters I filed with. NOAs stated Resident Status

has been extended for 1 year and that we will be receiving a letter for an ASC appointment for

fingerprints, photo, and signature.

Dec 2009 - Received 10 year permanent resident card.

Feb 2010 - My children received their 10 year permanent resident cards.

Oct 2010 - My children were legally adopted by my USA Citizen husband.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, the name's easy - he's Derek (the Canadian) and I am KJ (USC) and we met at the museum I work at. He used to travel quite frequently in the US on business (I think one year he was home a total of about 20 days) and did some work with the museum several years before I even started there. Anyway, after his job was completed, Derek stayed friends with my boss and a couple other guys here. We met a few weeks after I started and he says that he liked me the moment he saw me, but refused to ask me out because I was dating someone else at the time. Guess he was trying to be a gentleman. :lol: So we were friends first, occassionally calling/emailing/hanging out when he was in town, etc. for about a year or so.

When I finally dumped the loser, Derek waited about a nano-second to ask me out. We dated for about 9 months flying back and forth about once a month or so from DC to Burlington, VT (about a 2 hour drive from Derek's home in Montreal - thank God for the now defunct Independence Air!) We were engaged for about 3 months and did a quicky wedding to get the whole immigration process started. Took longer than expected (just about 300 days) but he finally moved down to the US on April 2006 and the rest as they say is history. We are currently preparing the 751 to get him his 10 year green card and then I hope not to have to deal with the INS again until 2017 or so!

And, sorry Scott, the Islanders are the best team and I still miss Denis Potvin. :crying:

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Timeline

I just realized I posted before, but it was in response to someone else's post. I never made my "show and tell" post. :P

Okay, well... here it is: My fiancee and I first met, sometime around 2000, on the official company message boards created for adventure games by Sierra On-Line. If you did a whole lot of gaming back in the 1980s and 1990s that wasn't on a console (i.e. a "console" means anything from the Nintendo Entertainment System to the Xbox 360), then you probably played at least one adventure game and the company that made the most of these was Sierra On-Line.

My fiancee started off in the Quest For Glory forum and although she stayed there, she also migrated to the Gabriel Knight forum as well. I originated from the Starsiege forum. Starsiege was not an adventure game. It was an online mech-simulator/action game. Why I decided one day to hop on into the Gabriel Knight forum is beyond me. I had played just about every single Sierra On-Line adventure game (including adventure titles created by other companies, like LucasArts and Access Software) and while the Gabriel Knight and Quest For Glory series was among them, I had never felt the "urge" to venture into a place to "talk about adventure games." Specifically because the adventure game forums had much stricter rules than the Starsiege forum (where we basically did whatever we wanted, since our Moderators didn't care so long as we didn't do anything that grossly violated TOS).

But I did go in and I stayed. Which was a good thing, because that is where I met my fiancee. At first, we didn't really like each other. Let me rephrase that -- at first she didn't really like me; I didn't particularly care one way or the other. I think part of the problem was that she detests confrontation, going so far as to actively avoid it whenever possible. Me, on the other hand, I love confrontation and any chance to assert myself. So... as you can probably imagine, this didn't leave her with a sparkling impression of me. Not that she "hated" me or anything, but I just wasn't one of her "favorite" people.

Flash forward to about 2005. We're both in a chat room designed for people from the adventure-themed forums, and I start sending her private messages. Truth be told, I was attracted to her. I had never seen her picture before, but I thought she was humorous, witty, intelligent and seemed like a good person. As it turned out, she had become interested in me over time as well (apparently, I had "changed" over the years; into what, I'm not sure, but if it works, I'm not questioning it!), so we began talking a lot online. Eventually, we started revealing more and more information about each other, and spending more time together online (and less with the chat room), switching to Instant Messengers and then calling each other on the phone as well.

Then in 2006, I decided I would visit her. She was extremely excited. That first visit was a "test" of sorts for the both of us, to see how we would be around each other in person. After all, being a couple online and through the phone is very different than being one together in real life. Fortunately, we "passed" with flying colors. This doesn't mean we don't have our disagreements from time to time; every couple does and it'd be unrealistic to think we wouldn't. But overall, we get along exceptionally well.

In closing... I'd just like to leave with this one thought/question: My fiancee and I end up arguing far more often when we're apart (such as when we're using Instant Messengers or talking on the phone) versus when we're together in person. When we're physically together, we rarely disagree or have any serious issues. I was just wondering if things work out this way for anyone else here and if anyone has any idea why it might be this way? :huh:

Edited by DeadPoolX

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
We had 1 chance in a million to find each other, I could have walked in that game 5 min later and never met him, we could have been in different factions or different servers, or we could have completely ignored each other because they are so many people in there. But it was meant to be. :luv:

Exactly my sentiments. You worded it really well for me :blush:

While I don't like peanut butter on my pancakes, I do like peanut butter and honey sandwiches... does that count?

I have to chime in here and second this statement. :wub:

BTW, I love pancakes...anyway you make 'em. Period!

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

In closing... I'd just like to leave with this one thought/question: My fiancee and I end up arguing far more often when we're apart (such as when we're using Instant Messengers or talking on the phone) versus when we're together in person. When we're physically together, we rarely disagree or have any serious issues. I was just wondering if things work out this way for anyone else here and if anyone has any idea why it might be this way? :huh:

To quickly derail this thread, you're not the only one. Bee and I argue much more when we're apart versus when we're together. For us, it's the frustration of the three-hour time difference and the separation issues. I tend to think that body language plays a strong role in communication and without that visible communicator, things tend to snowball much faster.

Just my 2c though! :lol:

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well my name is Brad, and... well.. I am Canadian.

I grew up on Vancouver Island but was born in the Fraser Valley. My parents wanted us to get away from the degenerating climate of the mainland. The island proved to be a very sheltered place mixing White Christians with White Athiests. I had a black friend in highschool, but outside of that had NO idea there were other races. (Until I went to Vancouver and got some weird system shock)

I grew to despise the Island really fast and decided when it was time to go to University I was going to try something different. So I dropped everything, packed up my life and flew down to Southern California on a F-1 student visa. The rest they say is history.

I met Sara on Hotornot.com. I saw her and just drooled and knew I wanted to at the very least lick her face. We had the worst date of our lives going out to chili's and seeing an awful movie. Sara's food was cold, mine was "wet" and it was cold. It was just overall a really bad date. We stopped at the park that was by her old house and I ended up getting sand on my hands and holding her wrists too tight causing an insane sand burn that was on her wrists for a week.

To make a long story short I knew she was the one after that date. No questions asked. A week later I bought a ring and met her at work. Drove her home, sat her down and asked her to marry me. Though apparently I was not as eloquent as normal. I jumbled my words a lot and almost barfed I was so nervous.

We kept it from her family as long as possible but I told mine right away. Her family warmed up to me only recently after 9 months of marriage. They actually see me as part of the "fam" now.

Life has been good, and I can't wait for our lives to really begin together.

Edited by bradcanuck

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Timeline
Is Ogalalla anything like Toronto? :P

Um … no. Wow are you moving there? Its a lovely place if you like open skies and peace and have had enough urbanity in your life. Ogallala is a nice town. It’s better than a Toronto suburb for sure. I hope you like rural Nebraskans – they are very conservative but very civil and committed -- very community oriented, fairly religious although I doubt you’ll find a gold curved roof anywhere, very hard working people, not a lot of complainers. Make a commitment to the community. Be prepared it is extremely white although that may be changing with Mexican immigrant patterns, my guess is something like 90% or more white, mostly German/Czech extraction (hence the size of the Cornhuskers defensive line – go black shirts!!!!!!!) Some easterner urbanites I who visited while I lived there had actual what is it, agoraphobia? - totally freaked out at the open sky. It would be a fabulous place to settle if it were warmer and had some work for me -- thinking about sandhills and the antelope and buffalo... do enjoy it when you get there if that’s where you’re going.

The Treble, your comments are gentle and wise. Thanks. I severely offended another here and am sorry but can’t seem to edit my response now. Guess I’ll just have to live with being an ugly American that can’t shut her mouth. Just haven’t learned yet. Practice for this week: <PINCH> (Gulp) “ Actually, I’d really like to know what you think.”

I am truly floored by hearing everyone’s histories – truly touching and thanks for sharing!

That day we realized how 2 people, completely different backgrounds, different countries, different language, can be completely similar and understand each other. I mean the peanut butter thing sounds silly, but that was just the first of hundreds of similarities we found between each other overtime.....We just complete each other perfectly. Since then I believe in soulmates. We had 1 chance in a million to find each other, I could have walked in that game 5 min later and never met him, we could have been in different factions or different servers, or we could have completely ignored each other because they are so many people in there. But it was meant to be. :luv:

Amen, and thank you al Gore.

It is very tough being apart. We have a really hard time sometimes. My husband isn’t a big talker in the first place and trying to communicate at a distance is harder. When you’re both stressed and alone and miss each other so much it’s just not easy. But it will be okay.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think this is normal. The being apart and having to wait for immigration ####### really takes its toll and heightens emotions and frustrations with everything. Sort of like a bad day at work but with no end in sight. I know the hardest and most frustrating days for me were waiting for approval and not really having an idea of when we'd actually be able to live together. I was lucky though that my wait really wasn't long at all and we saw each other every 3 weeks, but back then, each day apart seemed like months.

Hang in there! :)

Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My turn :)

First, congratulations autumnchik!!! How exciting!

I love reading all of these stories!!

Ok, my name...daisy, because it's my favorite flower, and lynn, because it's my middle name. Real name is Tammy. I'm the USC, dh the Canadian.

I met dh online in a Christian chatroom in Sept. 2001. We chatted every day online and occasionally over the phone. By December, we were talking marriage. My mom and I drove up to meet him (I lived in NC) in person for the first time in April 2002. He proposed to me. He and his family drove down to see me in May 2002. Then we were married in NC in June 2002. It was a whirlwind! I moved up here to Ontario as soon as we married.

I started Immigration up here and got my Permanent Residency in Feb. 2004. We had our first child in June 2004 and have since had 2 more kids. They are 3 yrs, 21 months, and 3.5 months.

All of my family is still in NC and Virginia, thus the reason we are moving back. Dh isn't close to his dad or sister, who live 30 minutes away. His mom died a couple of years ago and his brother is in Alabama. So, there's really no reason for us to stay here.

We are filing for an IR-1 through DFC. We received our packet 3 a week or so ago and are just waiting for dh's police check in order to send it back. I can't wait to have it all over and be back around family again! It is so hard being up here with no family and not much in the way of friends. I stay at home with the kids and some days I just want a visitor! It's so hard some days :(

Edited by daisylynn

IR-1 Visa

8-14-2007 Mailed in husband's I-130 to Consulate in Toronto

8-15-2007 Toronto received I-130

8-27-2007 Toronto called to set up I-130 appointment

8-31-2007 Interview at Consulate Approved

9-25-2007 Received Packet 3 in mail

12-9-2007 Received police record (fingerprint version)

1-18-2008 Sent packet 3 back

2-26-2008 heard back from Montreal via email about our interview date

4-23-2008 Montreal Interview!!! Visa APPROVED!!

5-31-2008 Crossed the border into the US to live! :) (one of the happiest days!!)

Currently residing in NC and loving it!

03/2011 Looking into getting dh US citizenship (and just when I thought we were done with all the paperwork! Ha!

US Citizenship timeline:

3-18-2011 Paperwork/check sent

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

7-02-2011 Oath Ceremony We're done!!

Timeline

These stories are much more interesting than what most IR5s go through. Mom and Pop are not moving to Ogallala or Kearney or Sidney for that matter, they're moving a bit further south. :) If anyone's interested here's a bit about them, that may or may not be true. My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. That's about it. :D

Um … no. Wow are you moving there? Its a lovely place if you like open skies and peace and have had enough urbanity in your life. Ogallala is a nice town. It’s better than a Toronto suburb for sure. I hope you like rural Nebraskans – they are very conservative but very civil and committed -- very community oriented, fairly religious although I doubt you’ll find a gold curved roof anywhere, very hard working people, not a lot of complainers. Make a commitment to the community. Be prepared it is extremely white although that may be changing with Mexican immigrant patterns, my guess is something like 90% or more white, mostly German/Czech extraction (hence the size of the Cornhuskers defensive line – go black shirts!!!!!!!)

Germans and black shirts, never a good association. :P

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

To quickly derail this thread, you're not the only one. Bee and I argue much more when we're apart versus when we're together. For us, it's the frustration of the three-hour time difference and the separation issues. I tend to think that body language plays a strong role in communication and without that visible communicator, things tend to snowball much faster.

Just my 2c though! :lol:

Definetely agreed there. My hubby and I also bicker alot more when we are apart, I think largely due to the added stress, and yes, the lack of body language. Together we are awesome, but put 2500 miles between even the most perfect couple and issues are bound to arise.

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

there are so many classic lines in this thread, I haven't the time to quote them all. You guys crack me up!

Oh, and my husband and father-in-law put peanut butter on their french toast. :wacko:

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

:) Hi everyone...I'm new to VJ. I met my fiance in a chatroom 2 yrs ago. We met October 2006 but were very cautious about making a commitment at that time. Once I got home, we realized that we loved each other and wanted to be together. Before making that commitment, we felt that the kids needed to meet and we all needed to spend time together. So in March, my daughter and I went to spend a month with Larry and his sons. We all found we can live together which is really good. On the Thursday before Easter, Larry proposed and I accepted. Before I left to come back to Cochrane, we had the I-129F application filled out and ready to be sent in.

We have been approved and I am now waiting for the paperwork to go from NVC to the consulate.

I have been reading here on VJ that Montreal is slow. How slow is slow? I would love to be able to start my new life with my new hubby for the new year. Anyone think that is possible?

Oh ya - my id. Well, when I started in chat I had ppl tell me I had a beautiful heart. So bheart came to be, but many have shortened it to BH. My real name is Kelly.

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Timeline

...fairly religious although I doubt you’ll find a gold curved roof anywhere

No, you need to go to South Bend (home of the frightened Irish) to see that. :P

*assumes the fetal position thinking about my beloved Spartans collapse last year against the Frightened Irish* :crying:

IR5

Timeline
I have been reading here on VJ that Montreal is slow. How slow is slow? I would love to be able to start my new life with my new hubby for the new year. Anyone think that is possible?

Oh ya - my id. Well, when I started in chat I had ppl tell me I had a beautiful heart. So bheart came to be, but many have shortened it to BH. My real name is Kelly.

Welcome to VJ. This is really a wonderful place to exchange ideas, get some fatherly or motherly commiseration, and laugh a bit. Some of us are rather august and patrician, some of us less so and few of us are just plain bonkers. Welcome. I hope you enjoy your stay.

I don't know if MTL will speed up that much but I'd love to see you start your new life with DH in the new year.

I can't tell if you have a beautiful heart, but if you post a few snapshots from your last echocardiogram.. :)

IR5

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.