missyoupapi06

my father is 90 yrs old

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

I filed form I-130 back in January 2006, it was sent back to me because I forgot to sign it, I was so exitec to mail it that I overlooked an important item!

I mailed it back and they have not responded that they received it with corrected item. I called and they said they received it, but you'd wish that they responded again confirming they received it.

It's been a long long struggle to get my father to join me, due mostly to his age and dementia now. I am concerned that since 9/11 this peticion is taking so long, it didn't used to be. I know because I tried about 10 yers ago to do the residency for him and he didn't follow through, too many things were going on in his life, he only retired close to 80!!! He was a hard working man and he misses me allot, I call him on the weekends and I can tell by his voice he wants to cry.

I don't know how to speed up the process, if traveling to Colombia and speaking with someone there at the US Consulate. I have to go visit him, it's been a year since I last saw him.

2 questions, first, should I have the California Service Center in Laguna Niguel send me a confirmation letter that they received the package, I just have my doubts about them and second, would it help speaking and appearing in person to sponsor him, I am just so afraid that he may not live to the 999 days the USCIS posts it's taking for this type of petition to be processed!!! (I've been a US Citizen for 40 years) and have lived separated from my father all my life, now in his last years of life I can't even seem accomplish my one and only dream, to be with him in this old and lonely life of his.

Let me know if you think I have any hope to bring him home with me in a years time or will it be 999 days as they state.

thank you kindly for your suggestions :help:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Its not 999 days for a parent. Not sure the timelines for Colombia, but very few would be more than a year.

But you are bringing a 90 year old to the US with medical issues?

None of my business really, but how are you going to pay the medical costs?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
How are you going to pay the medical costs?
Depending on which state you live in you can qualify for state medical benefits which are not Federal means tested benefits that are listed in the I-864. California has such a program for indigent elderly, regardless of their immigration status.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
How are you going to pay the medical costs?
Depending on which state you live in you can qualify for state medical benefits which are not Federal means tested benefits that are listed in the I-864. California has such a program for indigent elderly, regardless of their immigration status.

Means tested?

Do they go against the sponsor?

I have no personal knowledge of California but I have a friend who is on indigent care in CO, just enough to patch you up and get you out of the hospital.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Means tested?

Do they go against the sponsor?

I have no personal knowledge of California but I have a friend who is on indigent care in CO, just enough to patch you up and get you out of the hospital.

I lack the knowledge to define what in the world is means tested except for the vague examples given in the I-864. But if you are the sponsor and your beneficiary uses federal means tested benefits and the government decides to sue to you for compensation then you would be liable. I have doubts the government would sue a private citizen who is in violation of the their sponsorship duties. I just haven't heard any stories about it and I think the feds have bigger fish to fry. The old lady I know of in California had a surgery performed and is receiving her pills from the state at no cost to her sponsors. But generally I tend to agree that indignant health care service is just the way you described the situation in Colorado. Edited by Satellite

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.