Carlawarla

Driver's License

39 posts in this topic

I think it's simply silly to have Canadians re-taking road tests considering some of us go through graduated licensing programs! In Ontario I had to get my G-1, then my G-2, then a G. Each had tests and with each i paid more and more money (and the prov. government laughed all the way to the bank). So why, when the rules of driving, including signs, are practically identical, do Canadians have to get re-tested in some states is beyond me

Agreed 100%. BC has the L and N and Class 5 system. I had to go through that nightmare then I had to take a road test here. Felt like I was teaching the driver with me (who looked younger than I) how to drive. Passed flawlessly.

I can understand testing those who are new to cars, but UK/Most Euro/Canadians?

Yeah it's not like Canadian road rules are any different....The only difference so far for me between Quebec and Illinois is that when an emergency car comes around, in Quebec we move out of his way as much as possible but we continue driving...here everybody has to come to a complete stop or slow down until the emergency car is passed.

As for UK drivers, I don't know if there is a big difference to learn to drive on the other side of the road :P Maybe I should pop in the UK section and ask :)

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now the thing is.... who will be brave enough to get in the car with Carla at the wheel :unsure: ?????????? KIDDING!!! Congrats sister!

I hate driving, but Bren is insisting on me taking the exam and all that jazz - arghh. I guess he's tired of being mah chauffeur?????? ;)

haha you brat!! :lol::lol:

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

I can see them wanting a knowledge exam for signs and stuff, but a thorough driving test? Bleh. I'm hoping that PA will allow me to transfer my Class 5 BC license when I move over. The graduated licensing program was enough testing, thank you! :lol:

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The signs are pretty much identical though so even knowing road signs is silly. If you can't read them than that's a problem.

And I think people from the UK should be re-tested. My grand dad let me try it years and years ago and it was almost motion-sickening! haha

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I hear ya Carla. I have to do the complete routine also to get my drivers license here in Spokane. I was reading their site ( DMV ) and they have it written right in there drivers from Canada must do the road test. Do we have a bad driving reputation in WA. State lol lol

Filed: Timeline
Heh, having to take another road test would bring back traumatic memories. I hit a parked car parallel parking the first time I took mine when I was 17. How embarrassing is that? I had to take it again driving something a lot smaller than my parents' enormous 1970-something Impala.

Hey, I had a '72(?) Impala convertible! That thing was HUGE. With the size of parking spaces these days I'm not surprised you hit something. :lol:

My friend hit a pedestrian when she took her road test. :o

iagree.gif

Timeline
Heh, having to take another road test would bring back traumatic memories. I hit a parked car parallel parking the first time I took mine when I was 17. How embarrassing is that? I had to take it again driving something a lot smaller than my parents' enormous 1970-something Impala.

Hey, I had a '72(?) Impala convertible! That thing was HUGE. With the size of parking spaces these days I'm not surprised you hit something. :lol:

I guess that's an automatic fail huh?

:) tee hee.. I remember a friend of mine in High School hit 2 different pedestrians on 2 different driving tests.. he failed both times. :) 3rd time was a charm though!!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

:) tee hee.. I remember a friend of mine in High School hit 2 different pedestrians on 2 different driving tests.. he failed both times. :) 3rd time was a charm though!!

That made me feel better about it. I'd rather hit a car than a pedestrian. For the record, I still don't know how to parallel park. That Impala was really cool. I'd like to get married in one of those at one of those drive-up wedding windows in Vegas and say to heck with inviting anyone to a wedding reception.

I've lived in 6 different states and I think they all made me take a written test but not a road test each time I moved. The pictures got progressively worse, too! There are some differences from state to state or province to province, so that makes sense. The irony in having to take a road test for moving from Canada is you can go rent a car in New Zealand with your Canadian or American driver's license even though their road rules really are different (aside from driving on the left they have some really quirky left turn right-of-way rule).

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Timeline

That made me feel better about it. I'd rather hit a car than a pedestrian. For the record, I still don't know how to parallel park. That Impala was really cool. I'd like to get married in one of those at one of those drive-up wedding windows in Vegas and say to heck with inviting anyone to a wedding reception.

I've lived in 6 different states and I think they all made me take a written test but not a road test each time I moved. The pictures got progressively worse, too! There are some differences from state to state or province to province, so that makes sense. The irony in having to take a road test for moving from Canada is you can go rent a car in New Zealand with your Canadian or American driver's license even though their road rules really are different (aside from driving on the left they have some really quirky left turn right-of-way rule).

My husband always laughs when he goes to Canada and sees the flashing green advance arrow at an intersection.. for some reason he thinks it's rediculous to have a flashing light!

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Yeah it's not like Canadian road rules are any different....The only difference so far for me between Quebec and Illinois is that when an emergency car comes around, in Quebec we move out of his way as much as possible but we continue driving...here everybody has to come to a complete stop or slow down until the emergency car is passed.

when I (USC) first started driving in Canada, I experienced this... an emergency vehicle was approaching, I pulled over to the right hand side of the road and came to a complete stop, others cars kept on driving and someone even honked at me!..LOL..I was shocked!, when I got home and told my husband...he told me that you CAN keep driving just go slower!!,

other things that we disagree on are, school zones...its a BIG fine in Nevada if you dont obey the school zone, here, at least here in Brampton, no one obeys the signs (husband included)...I slow completely down, and again I get honked at.. LOL...my husband says that they are just a "suggestion" and you only slow down if you can actually see children... what?!...LOL...

one more is stop signs, my husbands rule is if they are in parking lots or residential areas, again they are just a suggestion...and you do not have to make a complete stop...?!?!...in Nevada a stop sign, is a stop sign no matter where its located!..

I am happy my husband has to retake everything when we move to Nevada, :devil: , just hoping he passes!..LOL

Kimmbo (Las Vegas,NV,USA)

Barry (Brampton,ON,CANADA)

Im an American married to a Canadian, I have no kids, yet Im a grandmother, I can pick things up off the floor with my toes

I-130

----------------

Feb/26/07 Sent I-130 (VSC)($190 US)

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

July/23/07 NOA2(147 days)

I-129F

--------------

March/16/07 Sent I-129F (Chicago) ($170 US)

March/21/07 Received in Chicago

March/22/07 NOA-1

April/10/07 Transferred to VSC

April/23/07 Email from USCIS (case pending at VSC)

July/23/07 NOA2(129 days)

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

July/31/07 NVC sent to Montreal

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/8/07 Packet 3 Received

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

Aug/13/07 Packet 3 Received in Montreal

Oct/17/07 Medical Scheduled (Dr Seiden)

Jan/25/08 INTERVIEW MONTREAL...APPROVED!

Feb/6/08 Montreal sends Visa, finally!

Feb/8/08 Received Visa (14 days)

April/18/08 Moving Day/POE Sarnia

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/21/08 AOS/EAD package sent ($1010)

June/23/08 Received in Chicago

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/01/08 Received NOA's for I-765 & I-485 (dated June 27th)

July/02/08 Touch

July/07/08 Received Biometrics letter (dated July 1st)

July/18/08 Biometrics appt 8am

Aug/30/08 EAD card received (approval dated Aug 26th)

Sept/04/08 Applied for SSN

Sept/15/08 Social Security card received

Jan/23/09 letter received with interview date

March/10/09 INTERVIEW 9:30am...APPROVED!!

March/19/09 Welcome Letter received

March/23/09 GREENCARD RECEIVED, DONE WITH USCIS UNTIL 2019!

Timeline

when I (USC) first started driving in Canada, I experienced this... an emergency vehicle was approaching, I pulled over to the right hand side of the road and came to a complete stop, others cars kept on driving and someone even honked at me!..LOL..I was shocked!, when I got home and told my husband...he told me that you CAN keep driving just go slower!!,

other things that we disagree on are, school zones...its a BIG fine in Nevada if you dont obey the school zone, here, at least here in Brampton, no one obeys the signs (husband included)...I slow completely down, and again I get honked at.. LOL...my husband says that they are just a "suggestion" and you only slow down if you can actually see children... what?!...LOL...

one more is stop signs, my husbands rule is if they are in parking lots or residential areas, again they are just a suggestion...and you do not have to make a complete stop...?!?!...in Nevada a stop sign, is a stop sign no matter where its located!..

I am happy my husband has to retake everything when we move to Nevada, :devil: , just hoping he passes!..LOL

Ha ha your hubby sounds like my hubby (the USC).. he'd say the same things about US traffic laws..

Sounds like your hubby is just impatient.. not really well versed in traffic laws :)

We passed a funeral procession last weekend and i was HORRIFIED.. you NEVER pass a herse back home out of respect, but of course hubby goes flying by on the interstate.. I am always shocked when people don't stop for emergency vehicles as well.. horrified..

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
My husband always laughs when he goes to Canada and sees the flashing green advance arrow at an intersection.. for some reason he thinks it's rediculous to have a flashing light!

A flashing green advance arrow at intersections? :huh:

What the heck does that mean? I don't think I've ever seen something like that in the U.S., so I'm guessing it's a Canadian thing. I haven't driven in Canada yet, mostly because my fiancee lives in the heart of downtown within her city and feels she has no real need of a vehicle for most things.

I have trouble understanding that. I know people can get by without a car (especially if they live downtown, such as in New York), but to me... lacking the overall ability to "go where you want, when you want" would be absolutely terrible. It'd practically feel like being 12 again, where I'd have to rely on others for transportation.

No way I'd do that again! :no:

Timeline

What the heck does that mean? I don't think I've ever seen something like that in the U.S., so I'm guessing it's a Canadian thing. I haven't driven in Canada yet, mostly because my fiancee lives in the heart of downtown within her city and feels she has no real need of a vehicle for most things.

tee hee.. See!!!! I'll have to tell my hubby.. he's convinced it's silly to have a flashing green light..

btw.. it tells the driver that the lane has the right of way.. (an advance light).. Usually found in a left turning lane ;)

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

tee hee.. See!!!! I'll have to tell my hubby.. he's convinced it's silly to have a flashing green light..

btw.. it tells the driver that the lane has the right of way.. (an advance light).. Usually found in a left turning lane ;)

Oh, I see. I understand now. We do have something like that in the United States, but I believe it varies from state to state (just like how some states allow you to make a right turn on a red light and others don't, although even in states that allow it, it can be revoked at certain intersections for numerous reasons).

Basically, in the U.S. (or at least in Texas), we can have a "solid non-flashing green arrow" in left turn lanes, which tells the driver that it's a protected left turn. Sometimes this can get a little confusing though, as the regular light that accompanies the "solid green arrow" can either be "green" or "red" but it essentially means the same thing -- the drivers in the left lane are allowed to proceed and make a left turn without fear of oncoming traffic. Without the "solid green arrow," drivers can still make a left turn (so long as the regular light is "green" and not "yellow" or "red"), but they won't have a protected lane and will have to watch out for other drivers.

It sounds more complicated than it is, really. Of course, some people have issues with it (I'm sure there are those who have problems doing just about anything...), but for the most part, it works well. I'd still rather drive on the freeway, though. It's safer (less traffic from all directions to deal with and no pedestrians) and you can drive much faster! :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.