Dr. A ♥ O

Need MENA guidance on some personal choices

Seeking Guidance  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should I?

• Go to Egypt in Dec. for 6 months to be with my Husband till Fall Semester
    • Continue with school till I finsih and wait out the immigration process
    • Continue with school as planned and visit my Husband in Egypt this summer.
    • Go for "The Late Show" internship with David Letterman in NY City next summer.

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello All!

I'm faced with a few choices and seeking guidance on what to do. They say wisdom comes with age and while it's my 29th Birthday today I still feel young Therefore not so wise.

Since joining VJ I've learned that there is this process called the black hole of AP where MENA applicants can fall into astronomical proportions of wait time thus exceeding the typical processing times. Some people have been in the AP blackhole for 10 months. I've even read in another post that the offices told one person AP can take anywhere from 6 months to 6 years! Ack!!! :o

Taking that into consideration I am thinking now it's possibly a good idea to go visit my Husband, Waleed, in Egypt because we can't predict the actual time he'd be here. He is so optimisitic believing he'll be here in April 2008. However, if we fall into AP then who knows how long and Egypt is having one of the longest and most painful wait times.

This brings up possibilities for me. Waleed said he could fly me to Egypt for our first anniversary this December but only if I could stay for the next 6 months. Being a non-traditional student I could take the next six months off with no problem put my things in storage and come back Fall 2008 for my Senior year. As of right now I could graduate Dec. 2008 so another semester wait is not a big deal for me.

I was looking at taking this internship next summer 2008 on "The Late Show" with David Lettermen. It would give me good contacts for my degree which is Radio/Tv/Digital Media Production. Waleed and I are planning to move to LA after I graduate if all goes well. I've never been to NY. The closest I've been is Washington D.C. for New Years Eve 2000. If Waleed comes while I'm at the internship in New York he could either stay with his Sister and Brother-in-law and their two kids in Baltimore, or share the closet space with me in NYC while I'm on the internship, or stay in my apartment in Moscow? This immigration timing thing presents all sorts of options to consider.

The last thing to consider is waiting to see what happens with immigration and if he comes in April or not. If he doesn't come then we've talked about me coming for the summer to Egypt to be with him.

There are so many considerations maybe those that see this might have some wisdom for guidance for us?

Thank you!

Olivia :luv:

Edited by OlivianWaleed

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I would take advantage of any opportunity to live in another country in a heartbeat. So I chose #1 for sure, immigration and husbands aside even!

But maybe that's not as big of a deal for you -- you have an apartment in Moscow!?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi!

If I were you I would make school my priority for now. You have done everything in your power as far as immigration goes and I think you just have to wait it out. I really think the best thing to do is to try to finish school or get through as much as you can before he gets here. Things might get hectic and it might be difficult to be a student during the first few months that your husband is here. If you can visit him during the summer than that's great but like I said I think school is the priority. I also think that you should definitely go for the internship in NY. If you get it then that's a great experience and if not then you can go visit Egypt.

I know it's hard to think of now but he will be here eventually and I think it would be a shame to let an opportunity like your education or an internship in NY pass by to go to Egypt. HE will be here and you can spend every second together when he comes!

I would take advantage of any opportunity to live in another country in a heartbeat. So I chose #1 for sure, immigration and husbands aside even!

But maybe that's not as big of a deal for you -- you have an apartment in Moscow!?

I definitely would take any opportunity to live abroad also but I don't know if I would put off going to school for it. I would probably wait until after. Sometimes when people stop school for a reason they never make it back. :(

Filed: Other Country: Lebanon
Timeline

i say option 1.....if you know that 1 more semester isnt going to throw u off, i say take advantage of it!!!!! goodluck in your decision.

June 11 05-Married George, civil ceremony in New York

May 30 08-Baby Joshua was born

Jan 15-Back to NY we go...

May 10-made decision not to go back overseas.

July 10-filed for divorce

Jan 11-Divorce final

July 11-1st trip to take Josh to see George

Mar 12-2nd trip to take Josh to see George

MfXV.jpg.png

1LR1.jpg.png

I htink Sarah makes a lot of sense about putting school first, but I have to go with Jenn- the experience of living abroad is so worth a year of school. and it is a chance to really get a handle on understanding the cultural cues that are going to raise their heads in a bi-national marriage.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Timeline

It really is a hard decision. I keep thinking that if I didn't go to Egypt then maybe I never would but if I didn't finish school first then maybe I never would.

What I would do, if you could figure out how to do it, is apply to the American University of Cairo and finish up your degree there. I know a couple people that have gone there and loved it. You could even just take classes that you know can get transferred to count towards your degree. My best friend finished up her degree in Scotland... you just have to make sure your current school will accept the credits so you actually get credits.

I lived with my husband for a year and went to school in Paris, but then had to come home to finish up in Boston. I wanted to finish school and he lived in a different country. At the time finishing school was priority #1 for me. But if you can figure out a way to make it work i think it would be an awesome experience :thumbs:

ETA I just realized i don't know if your husband lives in cairo, but that school is just an example of a place i know that americans have gone

Edited by hollyw

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline
Oh, plus I find Letterman annoying, so that may have affected my choice. :P

Get that man some braces!

Why? Just because he has a gap? :blink: There are many people who has perfect teeth that has gaps..it's no big deal and they definently do not need braces.

Timeline
Oh, plus I find Letterman annoying, so that may have affected my choice. :P

Get that man some braces!

Why? Just because he has a gap? :blink: There are many people who has perfect teeth that has gaps..it's no big deal and they definently do not need braces.

It's a joke!

Timeline
I have a gap and I like to pretend I'm Danielle from America's Next Top Model. But she closed it....sellout.

I hope she still has that awesome accent, if it can be called an accent! I loved it.

I have a gap and I like to pretend I'm Danielle from America's Next Top Model. But she closed it....sellout.

I had a gap and I closed it :D

I would live abroad. There aren't many opportunities to do so as you get older. I did a lot of stuff prior to completing my education that I wouldnt have been able to do later on. I finished my education quickly afterward as I wasn't distracted by what I *really* wanted to be doing! :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.