mRx

Mistake costs illegal immigrant dishwasher $59,000

412 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
ALL I want to know is, which one of us is going to wash dishes for $5.50 an hour??? NOT ME!!!!!

actually, i was washing dishes for minimum wage ($3.75) 28 years ago....it's a good job for kids.

It's really sad that the minimum wage has gone from $3.75 to $5.50 (or whatever it is) in such a period of time and I agree... this is the problem! Kids don't even want to do that for $5.50 an hour!

that's what i started at - i was making about $4.50 an hour because i was faster than the rest. i'd imagine the same would apply today too. i think it's a good motivational job for kids but odds are not many would work that type of job, they'd rather ask mom or dad for money.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was/is illegal.

Would it be fair to give him the "taxed balance" of the work he did, and ban US entry for life, no waiver available?

Any further entries would result in prison?

That would be fair.

If he is getting pay stubs, what he earned was likely already taxed.

How could he have been getting paystubs when he was undocumented illegal,

Zapeta admits he never paid taxes.. So Federal Crime of tax evasion, if a USA citizen evaded taxes that long they would be paying huge penalties and mostly serve time in federal prison

He had 59K in Cash.

He owes back taxes, fines & should be deported with out re-entry Until he has served 10 year ban AND apid all fines & Taxes owed as well as paid back the social systems that he took from.

He shoul dhave taken the offer of 19K and counted his blessings,

Someone getting paid $5.50 per hour, working full time, for 2007 is only responsible for $813 in taxes. And you want to go after this guy? It would probably cost more just trying to get him to pay that money. If you are so concerned about tax evasion, there are much better targets. That would actually be worth the time pursing.

11 years in the USA ILLEGALLY EVADING TAXES for 11 Years, he owes at lease 9K in taxes not to mention INTEREST & PENALTIES

All that Aside, HE WAS IN USA ILLEGALLY! AS IN NOT LEGALLY Authorized TO reside or work in the USA, AS IN ILLEGALLY WORKING AS IN

WILLINGLY, KNOWINGLY BREAKING FEDERAL LAWS THE DAY HE ENTERED USA SOIL.

HE wants people to feel sorry for him , when he brought all this on by chosing to break Federal laws.

He got what he derserved.

If anyone wonders why we are hated overseas...here it is. We are becoming the biggest bullies in the world. Yes, he was here illegally. So we should punish him by illegally taking his money??? I hope everyone who is bashing this guy gets down on their knees tonight and says a hundred "Thank God I was born in the USA"'s.

ALL I want to know is, which one of us is going to wash dishes for $5.50 an hour??? NOT ME!!!!!

actually, i was washing dishes for minimum wage ($3.75) 28 years ago....it's a good job for kids.

Yep washed dishes when I was 13 for two bucks an hour. Picked apples and raspberries. The raspberry job I had to get up at 4:30 AM and walk to catch the bus that drove us 40 miles to the field.

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

I wonder what would happen to one of us if we didn't file income taxes for 11 years? I would bet the penalty would be a lot more than $59000. The man is lucky that he isn't in prison. They should take the money from him and send him on his way with a perm ban.

We would be hauled into court and go through a trial and convicted if the evidence proved the case and sentenced accordingly. No point in speculating what the penalty would be. There are guidlines for such things and unless you know the correct answer, speculation makes you look foolish. Again, he cannot be penalized beyond what is allowed for by LAW.

Al Capone got 20 years for tax evasion.

What were the facts of the case?

He didn't file tax returns for many years. The fact he was a gangster didn't have a bearing on it. Tax evasion was his only conviction.

Sorry, I stand corrected. He got 11 years.

Capone was tried in a federal court in 1931. The Alcinis tried to help Capone, but he pleaded guilty to the charges on advice of his legal counsel hoping for a plea bargain. But after the judge refused his lawyer's offers, and the jury was replaced on the day of the trial to frustrate Capone's associates' efforts to bribe or intimidate the original panel, Al Capone was found guilty on five of 22 counts of tax evasion for the years 1925, 1926, and 1927, and willful failure to file tax returns for 1928 and 1929. Capone's legal team offered to pay all outstanding tax and interest and told their client to expect a severe fine. The judge sentenced him to eleven years in a federal prison and one year in the county jail, as well as an earlier six-month contempt of court sentence;[6] he ultimately served only six and a half years because of good behavior.[7] He also had to pay fines and court costs totalling 80,000 dollars.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Capone

The only thing they can go after you for is if you OWE taxes. ONe of my uncles never filed taxes but wrote them a check for what he thought he owed. He had a lot of children...I still don't know all of my cousin's names! When my father talked him into filing...he got a big check back!! My father was his hero...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I wonder what would happen to one of us if we didn't file income taxes for 11 years? I would bet the penalty would be a lot more than $59000. The man is lucky that he isn't in prison. They should take the money from him and send him on his way with a perm ban.

We would be hauled into court and go through a trial and convicted if the evidence proved the case and sentenced accordingly. No point in speculating what the penalty would be. There are guidlines for such things and unless you know the correct answer, speculation makes you look foolish. Again, he cannot be penalized beyond what is allowed for by LAW.

What were the facts of the case?

He didn't file tax returns for many years. The fact he was a gangster didn't have a bearing on it. Tax evasion was his only conviction.

Sorry, I stand corrected. He got 11 years.

Capone was tried in a federal court in 1931. The Alcinis tried to help Capone, but he pleaded guilty to the charges on advice of his legal counsel hoping for a plea bargain. But after the judge refused his lawyer's offers, and the jury was replaced on the day of the trial to frustrate Capone's associates' efforts to bribe or intimidate the original panel, Al Capone was found guilty on five of 22 counts of tax evasion for the years 1925, 1926, and 1927, and willful failure to file tax returns for 1928 and 1929. Capone's legal team offered to pay all outstanding tax and interest and told their client to expect a severe fine. The judge sentenced him to eleven years in a federal prison and one year in the county jail, as well as an earlier six-month contempt of court sentence;[6] he ultimately served only six and a half years because of good behavior.[7] He also had to pay fines and court costs totalling 80,000 dollars.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Capone

Before you can compare the cases you will have to do better than this. What were the amounts of the taxes in question and what were the penalties for the failure to file returns? If these facts parallel our little alien guy in question then you can start to compare the cases. Furthermore you have to consider that Capone had the full extent of the law thrown at him because it was the only way they could prosecute him. Our little alien dude was merely a dishwasher, not an underworld kingpin. I do not believe they are equal cases and a corollary cannot be drawn between the two cases.

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensedregistered pharmacist". (because somebody gives a damn)

Russia-USA.png

Together at last!!!

Entry 4/8/08

Marriage 6/7/08

LAISSEZ LES BONS TEMPS ROULER!!

It would depend on what you did, exactly. (Certainly a couple of cases of people here saying 'So, yeah, I didn't file my income taxes and now I need to sponsor my bride, can I do this without having to pay?') Certainly the penalty isn't automatically to claim your entire savings without due process.

Al Capone got 20 years for millions of dollars (in 1930s money), and they went after him as hard as they could because they couldn't get him for the rest of his crimes. There's lots of categories of tax evasion (willfull, unwillfull) and lots of ways that you can screw up your taxes that don't necessarily mean you go to jail.

A guy making $6 an hour is not going to owe a large tax burden in any case (if at all), even if he's managed to save a lot. If work withheld taxes from him and he didn't file, he might not owe anything at all beyond the penalties for not filing.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

If I have to wash dishes to feed my family I will, luckily I am Educated & Have expereicne so I do not have to wash dishes

gewelcome-vi.gif

3dflagsdotcom_japan_2faws-vi.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE:Like you all, I am not an attorney ; I am a layperson (I have laid a lot of persons ) My advice is based on Experience obtained by filing ourselves

AOS met in Japan 1994 married 10/2004

DO:Los Angeles,Ca.

6/17/06 Forms Sent (I-130, I-485, and I-765)

6/19/06 RD I-130,I-485, I-765

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

7/15/06 Biometrics complete Day 22

8/4/06 Interview Notice Rcvd Day 42

9/9/06 EAD Card Received :)Day 78

9/13/06 SS Card Received :)Day 82

9/27/06 AOS Interview Los Angeles APPROVED LPR Day 96

12/04/06 Welcome To the United States Letter received

12/08/06 Green Card Received- expires 12/2016

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

It would depend on what you did, exactly. (Certainly a couple of cases of people here saying 'So, yeah, I didn't file my income taxes and now I need to sponsor my bride, can I do this without having to pay?') Certainly the penalty isn't automatically to claim your entire savings without due process.

Al Capone got 20 years for millions of dollars (in 1930s money), and they went after him as hard as they could because they couldn't get him for the rest of his crimes. There's lots of categories of tax evasion (willfull, unwillfull) and lots of ways that you can screw up your taxes that don't necessarily mean you go to jail.

A guy making $6 an hour is not going to owe a large tax burden in any case (if at all), even if he's managed to save a lot. If work withheld taxes from him and he didn't file, he might not owe anything at all beyond the penalties for not filing.

I believe Capone was sentenced to 11 years and only did 6 because of good behaviour. He did pay something around 80 grand in fines and court costs, if I am not mistaken.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline

If I have to wash dishes to feed my family I will, luckily I am Educated & Have expereicne so I do not have to wash dishes

I make decent money live in a place where Cost o flivign is high and wages are not up to the standards they should be. I work a seasonal part time Job at a Christmas tree lot, that is a lo tharder work than washing dishes.

I do this to provide for my family as it is my duty,so My wife can stay home with our kids and we can provide adequately for our children without relying on the state or govt. to support us.

These Illegals break the law everyday, by driving illegally to their employement where they work illegally, they live off of our Govt. without paying 1 red penny in taxes.

The drop anchor babies and keep having children, live 30 to a house and becoem more dependent on the govt. & tax payers for support. They refuse to ;learn the language or assimilate into the country they invaded, They have a wreckless carelessness & disregard for the law that guy deserves no sumpathy or leniancy. He should be deproted immediatly.

gewelcome-vi.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE:Like you all, I am not an attorney ; I am a layperson (I have laid a lot of persons ) My advice is based on Experience obtained by filing ourselves

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

Timeline

It's really sad that the minimum wage has gone from $3.75 to $5.50 (or whatever it is) in such a period of time and I agree... this is the problem! Kids don't even want to do that for $5.50 an hour!

that's what i started at - i was making about $4.50 an hour because i was faster than the rest. i'd imagine the same would apply today too. i think it's a good motivational job for kids but odds are not many would work that type of job, they'd rather ask mom or dad for money.

Well my kids will work summer jobs to earn money to pay for their car , inurance ect..

I did not receive hand outs from my parents & my kids will be raised to value hard work.

THEY WILL ALSO BE RAISED TO OBEY THE LAW, IF THEY BREAK THE LAW They will learn to pay the price.

If a US citizen Evades paying taxes not only are they fined, made to pay penalties, interest they are also more than likely to serve time in prison.

If a USA citizen goes to guatamala and resides there illegally and tries to work illegally you can bet that individual would be paying seriously for it.

Why are some so agaisnt USA enforcing it's own federal laws and immigration laws.

Laws a law you break the law pay the fine. If he was ordered by a judge to leave by January and then subsequently released back into USA with a promise to surrender for deportation we can bet his ### will NOT surrender and will go back to working illegally most like find a women and drop an anchor baby, so he is better off than people think.

I think it is BS that he is given until January to surrender for deportation, they should SAVE the tax payers money and send him back on th enext Donkey ride back over the border

???

Guatemala is not next to the US... he's not mexican either..

I never said Guatamala was next to the US, I never said he was mexican, hell, he probably entered mexico Illegally to get into the USA so He owes MEXICO part of that Money.

gewelcome-vi.gif

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
so let's review. enter the country illegally, work illegally, try to exit the country with the cash and people still think he is entitled to the money? :wacko:

Yes, actually. Working illegally is an offense under the law, but it is an offense with a legal punishment which is not 'confiscate all he has'. If you want to be a society of laws, follow the laws, and the law provides for a different punishment. Which is not confiscation of all your assets. Just like if you drive without insurance they don't take your car because you're illegally driving.

(Interesting, too, the people that assume someone who saved nearly $60,000 on a minimum wage job was a burden on society.)

Assuming that 'failing to declare' excess cash at customs doesn't mean the government takes all your money, the guy should pay the back taxes, pay for his own voluntary departure and incur whatever bans he has, and go home with the balance.

Well said. :thumbs::yes:

I'm curious though. I am French, and was a total wreck in school with my English classes. But 5 years ago I started working in a place that uses written English only (with French coworkers), started to listen TV in English (35% of the time only) and 2 years ago I started speaking to my husband on a daily basis in English, and believe me I was bad.

Now my point is, if I could learn English in 5 years in a 75% French environment, how come a immigrant can't learn English in 11 years in a total English immersion ?

That must be very "unwilling" to learn English.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

i do not think they are "unwilling " to learn english..but their enviroment and home life..revolves around spanish..and maybe, you are gifted

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I'm curious though. I am French, and was a total wreck in school with my English classes. But 5 years ago I started working in a place that uses written English only (with French coworkers), started to listen TV in English (35% of the time only) and 2 years ago I started speaking to my husband on a daily basis in English, and believe me I was bad.

Now my point is, if I could learn English in 5 years in a 75% French environment, how come a immigrant can't learn English in 11 years in a total English immersion ?

That must be very "unwilling" to learn English.

i don't get it either - i've cited first hand knowledge of a guy i know in texas who's been here for 21 years and still can't speak more than a few words of english.

i do not think they are "unwilling " to learn english..but their enviroment and home life..revolves around spanish..and maybe, you are gifted

refer to my previous post. it's hardheadedness and refusal to assimilate.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!