U.S. Wendy

Are you fed up with USCIS yet?

185 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
AND USCIS IS FUNDED BY OUR FEES, NOT YOUR TAX DOLLARS!!!!! Sheesh. I'm calling it a night. I hope to find more intelligent life when I return. I'm out!

USCIS is only partially funded by our fees. There's no way it's a self-sustaining organization.

Wendy, I'm not trying to piss you off. I really feel for your situation, I really do. What's more, I'm in the same boat that you are. Well, technically my boat is about 6 months behind your boat, but hey they're...um...the same color or something. I suck at analogies. Anyway, like you, I'm heart-broken that I'm going to have to wait so long to be reunited with the one I love. If I thought it could be fixed with a letter writing campaign, I'd be right on board with you. (ooh, hey, boat analogy again, I'm getting better at this! :) ) I'm just telling you why I don't think it will work. If you don't agree with me, then ok. I think I can live with that, and I hope you won't lose too much sleep over it. It's all good. Joy unto you, peace and serenity. I will now crawl back into my unintelligent primordial ooze.

Edited by moxcamel

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I, for one, feel that if something is not working for me I need to do something to fix it. Who cares if it works or not. At least we have done something instead of sitting and complaining. Others may disagree but that is their opinion.

We may not be the first bunch of people to think about this and we may have no influence whatsoever on USCIS processing times and we may not get anyone to listen to us but at least we are trying something, anything.

I understand that there are going to be skeptics and those who think it won't make a difference...we want to see if we can.

And if all else fails at least I can say "I tried".

Edited by ZeeNusah

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I don't think the average taxpayer really wants to be paying for a dream team staff of USCIS clerks who are just waiting for your application to reach their hot little hands.

Seems you're misinformed. USCIS is paid by the fees paid in with the petitions for most of the money. tax money and funds from congress is a small percentage. That was the entire arguement by USCIS to raise the prices of fees since congress and the tax payers paid so little it.

Chris

Edited by chris4gretchen

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/15/08 NOA1 received EAD

08/15/08 NOA1 received AOS

08/19/08 Checks cashed

08/23/08 biometrics appt letter

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

Seems you're misinformed. USCIS is paid by the fees paid in with the petitions for most of the money. tax money and funds from congress is a small percentage. That was the entire arguement by USCIS to raise the prices of fees since congress and the tax payers paid so little it.

I'm willing to concede that, although I'm pretty sure taxpayer dollars is more than just a small percentage. But in any case an increase in staffing would either require fees to be raised yet again, or more tax dollars.

Timeline
I think the current timelines and delays are acceptable considering the massive and daunting task facing the USCIS, DOS, DHS, and FBI. I hope few people will fight to lower overall security and soverignty for a one-time temporal gain.

with all due respect, i dont see how you can even weigh in on the issue. you got your NOA2 in less than 30 days and got your visa on the outside of 6 months. Now for us its the time has been tripled. USCIS knew they were behind, knew they would raise fees, and knew that they would get alot of petitions to beat the fee increase, just like the last time they increased fees. Its poor planning, poor execution and poor management. And now they have to live up to the promises they made in order to get the fee increase. and that is faster approval times, and more efficency in their system. 32 approvals on here in 30 days is beyond poor. its a 15 minute job to approve the standard petition. and i dont see any problem holding them to their word for the increase.

Chris

Edited by chris4gretchen

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/19/08 Checks cashed

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

Timeline

I'm willing to concede that, although I'm pretty sure taxpayer dollars is more than just a small percentage. But in any case an increase in staffing would either require fees to be raised yet again, or more tax dollars.

that is why most of the fees tripled. to hire more staff now. All of this was released by USCIS in statements on the website.

Chris

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/19/08 Checks cashed

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I think the current timelines and delays are acceptable considering the massive and daunting task facing the USCIS, DOS, DHS, and FBI. I hope few people will fight to lower overall security and soverignty for a one-time temporal gain.

Good to know someone that received their NOA2 in 36 days can call this "current timeline" acceptable. :whistle:

I wonder how he would feel if his he was at day 140 and still no approval. :blink:

Edited by afterforever

Timeline
I hope few people will fight to lower overall security and soverignty for a one-time temporal gain.

oh yeah, and remind me again how many of the 911 hijackers and terrorists were in the country on a k1 or K3 visa?? :blink:

Chris

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/19/08 Checks cashed

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

Timeline
I'm willing to concede that, although I'm pretty sure taxpayer dollars is more than just a small percentage.

here is an exerpt by the head of USCIS talking about where the money comes from and why they needed to raise the fees ....

Q. Many comments recommended alternative funding sources such as appropriated funds. Why

didnt you consider this?

A. Law and policy have long supported the proposition that those applying for immigration benefits should

bear the costs of their processing. Thus, in this final rule, USCIS continues to adopt a fee schedule to recover

its costs through user fees. While it is true that Congress has, in the past, enacted intermittent appropriations

to subsidize the operations of USCIS, the Presidents budget for FY 2008 does not request an appropriated

subsidy, except for specific funds for the expansion of the Employment Eligibility Verification program.

Even if an appropriation were requested, USCIS doubts that it would receive all of the necessary funding

required to meet its mission responsibilities. Continuing to recover full costs at this time is necessary so as

not to delay service delivery to applicants and petitioners.Further, using appropriated funds to support USCIS is risky because the demand for immigration benefits may change rapidly with little notice. For example, appropriated funds provided for naturalization benefits could likely be insufficient if there was an increase in the number of naturalization application benefits submitted. In this instance, USCIS would have to cut back on services (which would increase processing times) to cover the costs of processing the additional applications. Reliance on appropriations in the past has contributed to the funding problems USCIS has faced recently. USCIS new fee rule eliminates this problem because the fees are based on a robust model that incorporates all costs relating to services thereby providing a more stable source of funding.

tax payers only fund the empoloyment eligibility verification program. They dont fund fiance or spousal visas. the entire interview is on the USCIS website.

Chris

Edited by chris4gretchen

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/19/08 Checks cashed

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

Timeline
I hope few people will fight to lower overall security and soverignty for a one-time temporal gain.

oh yeah, and remind me again how many of the 911 hijackers and terrorists were in the country on a k1 or K3 visa?? :blink:

Chris

It is amazing to me that that people who received their approvals very quickly write comments like this person. Another one I see with regularity is one that basically states that "waiting never killed anyone". Again, when you look at their timeline, they were approved very quickly.

that is why most of the fees tripled. to hire more staff now. All of this was released by USCIS in statements on the website.

I understand that. Which is why a letter writing campaign isn't going to work. USCIS has a staffing authorization of x. If they don't have x people, they will recruit for them. The OP already noted that there are positions posted on a government job board. So as those positions are filled and the new employees trained, the petitions hopefully will move faster. If the argument is staffing, then a letter writing campaign is pointless.

And again, writing to a politician to ask for improved processing times is an exercise in frustration. There is no political will to make it easier for immigrants to come into the country. Even though you and I know that this isn't about illegal immigration, the perception that has been created by the media and politicians is that our borders are being overrun by immigrants and they're all terrorists. Asking a politician to make it easier for an immigrant to enter this country, even legally, is going to fall on deaf ears. I'm not saying that it's right (because it's clearly not) I'm just saying that's the wonderful little political climate we find ourselves in these days. Hug a Republican for that.

Timeline

i never commented that a letter writing campaign would work. but im not going to begrudge someone doing it. if enough complain to make the media, the USCIS will have to hustle to correct it. i merely responded to you stating tax payers were paying the USCIS, and that the triple fee increase was specifically to update their system and hire more staff.

Chris

It is amazing to me that that people who received their approvals very quickly write comments like this person. Another one I see with regularity is one that basically states that "waiting never killed anyone". Again, when you look at their timeline, they were approved very quickly.

i agree, thats why i said he cant even weigh in on the issue. He has nothing to say on it.

Chris

Edited by chris4gretchen

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/19/08 Checks cashed

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

i never commented that a letter writing campaign would work. but im not going to begrudge someone doing it.

I don't begrudge the OP for doing it either. Just as I'd hope the OP wouldn't begrudge others for discussing the issue on...you know...a discussion board.

i merely responded to you stating tax payers were paying the USCIS, and that the triple fee increase was specifically to update their system and hire more staff.

And I conceded the point. You win...a cookie! :)

i agree, thats why i said he cant even weigh in on the issue. He has nothing to say on it.

It's a discussion board. Except for trolls I don't see how anyone's opinion is more valuable than another's. FWIW.

Edited by moxcamel

Timeline
i never commented that a letter writing campaign would work. but im not going to begrudge someone doing it.

I don't begrudge the OP for doing it either. Just as I'd hope the OP wouldn't begrudge others for discussing the issue on...you know...a discussion board.

i merely responded to you stating tax payers were paying the USCIS, and that the triple fee increase was specifically to update their system and hire more staff.

And I conceded the point. You win...a cookie! :)

It's a discussion board. Except for trolls I don't see how anyone's opinion is more valuable than another's. FWIW.

Maybe because many here are well over 120 days now and he received his NOA2 in 36 days. I see a little difference in the time...do you, or no? Of course he have give his opinion, but it holds no weight.

3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_tha0001-0003a.gif

I-129F

Petition mailed to Nebraska Service Center 06/04/2007

Petition received by CSC 06/19/2007...NOA1

I love my Siamese kitten...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

Thanks for having my back-->especially Chris4Gretchen, ZeeNusah, Jamie, afterforever!!!! :help:

Now back to the task at hand. :angry:

Let's get those letters, faxes and e-mails out TODAY and keep the campaign going for the next 7 days or so-->If you are doing it, let me know by posting HERE so we can let everyone else on here KNOW there is strength in numbers.

I think some of our neighbors on the CSC side need to be convinced. This thread originated with the VSC'ers, so this is were the bulk of the letters are coming from. If you are struggling with CSC and have an credibility with the rest of the folks there, please try talking to some of about joining our campaign.

And about the naysayers and 'trolls'....I know it's hard, we have to educate them sometimes...... but, remember even their negative comments bump our topic us so everyone can see it.

I'll let you know what the reporter from the Washington Times says tonight. :thumbs:

NOA 2: 04-02-2008-->SECOND Petition approved

07-31-08- Entered the U.S.

09-17-08- Married

10-29-08: File AOS, EAD, AP

01-15-09: EAD Approved

02-26-09: Biometrics Appt.

03-07-09: EAD card received via mail

03-20-09: AOS approved

03-28-09: Greencard arrives via mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.