manda

Wait here or not here?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
OK,

Still trying to think about this, or lawyer has told us lots of untrue stuff. We have a co-sponsor who filled out an affidavit of support. Our lawyer told us that all 3 of us (My wife and I, and our co-sponsor) HAVE to go to the interview in Montreal. I read somewhere that only 1 US citizen is allowed into the interview with the benificiery. If I do go back to the UK would all of us have to go?? or just me?

Thanks

Yikes. Let the lawyer go and don't spend any more money on them. Only you, the beneficiary, needs to go back to the UK.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
From the sounds of things you both are living illegally in Canada. Do either of you have residences in your home country? Have you been "visiting" Canada for longer than 6 months?

Why woudn't you return to the UK and bring your wife over there with you so at least one of you can work while the US process is going? I think your only option is either go back to your home countries and wait it out or get a good lawyer before Canada Immigration finds out deports both of you.

OK, thanks for all your responses, got much more info here in one day than from my Canadian "lawyer" in a year. I just have a visitors visa for Canada, I've been here longer than 6 months but the "lawyer" has extended my canadian visa twice already. My wife just "visits" me as we are close to the US border. I never knew that having a visitors visa is not sufficent for going to the interview in Montreal. No lawyer has ever told us that. Looks like we'll have to put our thinking caps on.. Thanks again for the replies

In order to help alleviate their backlog, Montreal had just recently (June, I think) stopped accepting visa applications from third-country nationals such as yourself.

Now that your case is complete the best thing to dos is Get rid of the lawyer, ask for your case to be transfered to the UK( You ask the NVC) Once you get Confirmation from the UK that they have all your case files you can go for the Interview. Co-sponsor is not required not even your wife is needed. Its very sad that a lawyer will misrepresent so much information. Good luck. Going to the UK Will be the fastest route I think

Sent I-130 ---october 23rd 2006

NO1 --- November 9th 2006

RFE for marriage certificate--- Jan 03 2007

RFE sent JAN 10th 2007

NO2 Jan 28th 2007

Sent DS3020 March 14th 2007 via email

Email accepted --- March 18th 2007

Sent both I864 and DS230 April 23rd 2007

RFE For both I864 and DS230 may 10th 2007

RFE reply Sent on may 14th 2007

Case completed May 29th 2007

Medicals: October 2nd 2007

Interview: November 27th 2007 *** APROVED

Visa received November 29th 2007

POE:Detroit December 4th, 2007

Applied for SSN: December 5th, 2007 Pending

SSN Received: December 12, 2007

Green card Received: December 29,2007

I751 September 8, 2009

Biometrics October 22, 2009

I-751 Approved November 18th, 2009

Done for good!!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

WOW... that lawyer is horrible. Dump that lawyer ASAP.

USC and sponsor are not required to go to the interview. Only the applicant (yourself) is required.

I'd contact the NVC soon and get it transferred to the UK. It may be expensive to have to go back to the UK for your interview but that's pretty much your only option since you don't have legal presence in Canada. You can use it as an opportunity to say goodbye to family and friends too.

Good luck!

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

WOW... that lawyer is horrible. Dump that lawyer ASAP.

USC and sponsor are not required to go to the interview. Only the applicant (yourself) is required.

I'd contact the NVC soon and get it transferred to the UK. It may be expensive to have to go back to the UK for your interview but that's pretty much your only option since you don't have legal presence in Canada. You can use it as an opportunity to say goodbye to family and friends too.

Good luck!

OK,

Still trying to figure this out, I called the NVC and they said it shouldnt be a problem having a visitors visa. I sent an email to Montreal and they said "visitors cannot have their cases pending here. You will have to go back to your home country". That answer was a bit vague so not sure... Anyway, if I do transfer the case back home, whats the story with a medical. I would want to go for just a few days, get the interview and hopefully fly back into the US shortly afterwards. When you have a medical do you get the results straight away? Could I have the medical in Canada and go home with the results?

Also, the NVC has our lawyer as our contact, I don't want to slam my lawyer yet in case he decides not to forward any letters/docs from the NVC to me. Although since our case is complete, do I even need a lawyer anymore, as I can just call the NVC to find out when the interview is (I think).

This is all a bit messy, any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks everyone for your input on this so far. Wish I found this site before I found my lawyer. :angry:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think there's a way to sugar coat this and by no means am I trying to be to harsh....but.

It sounds like settling in Canada hasn't turned out to be the appropriate approach when neither of you are truly residents here. Montreal's answer is probably the most direct and accurate since they are the ones who will eventually process you (or not).

Why would you want to continue living here (possibly illegally) while waiting for your interview in the UK? Why not return home and take advantage of being able to work while you wait?

I don't know how quickly the medical is done in the UK in comparison to Canada...here it is done after you receive a package 3 from the consulate, but before the interview - which it doesn't seem like you will be doing in Canada anyway. I would imagine it might be difficult for you to provide the appropriate vaccination records and any medical history if you aren't in the UK.

Good luck - I'm jealous of the shorter waiting period through the UK myself - sounds like a win-win situation if you return home - and yes, being apart from your spouse for potentially long periods of tiome can be very very hard....

Cheers

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your best bet is to ask other UK people on VJ about the panel physicians there and how long it takes to get the medical after your appointment. You should also inform the NVC about interviewing in the UK as opposed to Canada. Also ask the UK consulate if you can get your medical done in Canada instead of the UK.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter that the NVC says that you're allowed to interview in Montreal because if Montreal says it's a no-go, it's a no-go. Every consulate is allowed to have their own rules for certain things. I think the answer they gave you is quite clear, "visitors cannot have their cases pending here. You will have to go back to your home country." Not sure what is vague about that.

You should also inquire with the NVC about ditching your lawyer and the choice of agent and how to change that with them.

Good luck with everything!

Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Again, like Udella & Wiz said, I am going to be a little harsh.

Neiks told you (and she used to work for Canadian border agency) and she's right, you are dangerously close to be deported. If you ARE, you will have mighty "X" in your file, not be able to file in Montreal and delay the process for God knows how long. Why? Because somewhere in the applications it asks you "have you ever been under immigration proceedings?" (though that may be for the US....)

Going back to the UK and transfering your case there assures not only a swifter interview time (ask folks in the UK forum), but give you the peace of mind of not having to be grabbed by CIC or Canadian Customs and shipped back to the UK.

As per the medical, a Canadian medical does not have bearing in the UK. Canadian medicals depend on who the doctor is (mine took a sweet 2 weeks, others take way less). Ditto what U&W said about vaccination records (though this can be cirumvented by a titration test). Also, if you don't have provincial health insurance, from the little I know about Canada's health care system, I would think no doctor will give you the medical anyways.- Or would charge you more than the usual 250-300 dollars.

Again my dear friend, seems you are playing with fire here. Do not put at risk your opportunity to be united with your wife. It's a hard decision but if you think about it, not that hard.

Good luck in your process and please be careful - wouldn't want you facing a ban for illegal stay in a third country - and that can happen, so why risk it?

Peace, L.

OK Thanks everyone for your repsonses again.

One thing I should make clear is: I do have a visa for Canada, I got it extended twice so far, so I'm not here illegal, just visiting. Another thing I can't figure out is this: Why would the NVC complete my case, assign me a MTLxxxx case number, and put me in the waiting list for Montreal interviews if I can't have the interview there?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

One thing I should make clear is: I do have a visa for Canada, I got it extended twice so far, so I'm not here illegal, just visiting. Another thing I can't figure out is this: Why would the NVC complete my case, assign me a MTLxxxx case number, and put me in the waiting list for Montreal interviews if I can't have the interview there?

I am sure NVC doesnt determine the applicant's eligibility and their status in the respective country, they leave that to the local consulates.

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Why would the NVC complete my case, assign me a MTLxxxx case number, and put me in the waiting list for Montreal interviews if I can't have the interview there?
I do believe that there is not a spot on the I-130 appliation that asks if you are have "legal residence status" in Canada. They are just going by the Canadian address that you proviced on your application.... which I assume is the address you are "visiting" at. A visitor visa does not give you legal residence status in Canada. It gives you privledge to visit on the terms that you are not working or studying in Canada and have the means to support yourself while in the country. I believe in your original post you stated you were running out of funds. If you no longer have the means to support yourself in Canada and can not legally work, then your welcome as a visitor to Canada is going to run out.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

One little thing to add. Even though you've gotten this far, all the documentation up to this point that you have received has said this does not guarantee a visa. I have read on here cases where the initial paperwork was approved by USCIS, but then when it gets to the Department of State, they have every right to deny the petition. I would go with Montreal's response and the others on here. Even if you end up "visiting" Canada until the interview.. it would be a whole lot of time wasted since Montreal has already given you their answer. I'm sorry this process has gotten so messy for you. Best wishes for you and your spouse.

Marriage : 1995 - 13 years of marriage and 2 children together

Living in the USA

K3 info in timeline

2007-Nov-21: Mailed AOS/EAD

2007-Nov-29: AOS/EAD received

2007-Dec-4: Notice date

2007-Dec-11: Received NOA's via snail mail

2007-Dec-12:Received Biometrics appt

2007-Dec-21: Biometrics appt completed and USCIS "touched" applications

2008-Jan-24: EAD card ordered - received email notice from CRIS

2008-Feb-1 : EAD approval notice mailed- received email notice

2008-Feb-4 : EAD card received in mail (11 days from when it was ordered)

2008-Mar-16: Touch on I-129F - huh?

2008-May 2: Received Interview date via snail mail letter

2008-June 11: Interview at SF office - Approved!!! Green Card ordered

2008-June 23: received Green Card in mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I wish you luck as well, I'm sure this is tough on you.

The thing is and what I think you are asking? is - what if you just stay in Canada and wait for an interview to be scheduled by NVC and hope Montreal accepts it and you go to the interview in Montreal.

Although they have said they won't process it - let's just say that NVC requests it and it goes through and you get your interview.

There is nothing to stop them from denying you at the interview because they can't process your visa in Canada.

I guess what I am saying is that yes, sure, it could slip through - but you risk showing up in Montreal and being sent away with nothing - but of course if you think it is worth a try - well that's up to you.

OK, thanks everyone for your replies especialy trailmix, misa,len and bren, neiks. Very informative. I guess the proper way to do this without causing more problems would be to have the interview at home. Ill let you know what happens. Good luck with all your cases and interviews..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.