vanee

Any recent EADs at the Windsor / Detroit POE?

33 posts in this topic

just called grand portage Minnesota and the lady said they can do it..

im gonna call and double and maybe even triple check.

FYI when we crossed in May Grand Portage was one of the places that insisted to me that they never get the stamp. Not to discourage you, just make sure you get the name of whomever you ask. :)

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no Im gonna risk the extra drive to Detroit.

Earmuffs- when are you planning on crossing? I'm hoping to go the end of October and I think I'll take a chance on Detroit as well. It's not that much further for me. It would be great to hear from someone who does it before then though!

Met: 2005-10-05 at best friend's wedding in Key West

K1

I-129F Sent : 2006-12-07

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-12-11

I-129F RFE(s) : 2007-03-08

RFE Reply(s) : 2007-04-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-04-04

Packet 3 Received : 2007-05-04

Packet 3 Sent : 2007-05-11

Added to MTL Waiting List: 2007-05-17

Medical in Toronto: 2007-08-08

Called MTL: 2007-08-08 - told to expect interview Sept. or Oct.

Emailed MTL on 2007-08-22 INTERVIEW DATE: October 17, 2007 at 9:30am!!!

Delay in processing due to needing a New Zealand Police Certificate

Visa in hand: 2007-12-19

POE at Peace Bridge - Christmas Day, 2007!

Wedding in Las Vegas - February 11, 2008

AOS

AOS Package Sent: 2008-03-04

Packaged Received in Chicago: 2008-03-05

Received NOA1: 2008-03-10

Biometrics Appt: 2008-04-02

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Im planning on leaving in a couple days from Norhtern alberta so it will take another few to get there..

Ill try to keep you guys posted.

AOS Timeline

12/05/2007 - Mailed AOS package

07/03/2008 - Received Welcome Letter and Green Card in Mail.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

From my readings on VJ(regarding EAD stamp), the POE keep the same line NVC and other immigration Dept: They tell you one thing, get your hopes up, only to find what they told you is wrong, squashing you like a little bug!! Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Im in winnipeg right now and if i drive the extra 20+ hours to go to detroit Im gonna be royally pissed.

AOS Timeline

Timeline

well i just called to check again and the guy told me no that you have to go through usics. Dont think im gonna make the extra long drive..

why cant you ever get a straight answer?

AOS Timeline

Timeline

Why should the govt start giving out straight answers now,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

So does this mean that me going through Toronto airport, that I wont get an EAD??? That will be the only way that I can get to Georgia. I have no car, my fiancee can't make the drive up here. What am I going to do??

Here's my K-1 Timeline:

October 2006 - I-129F sent

10/24/2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!....APPROVED!!

10/30/2007 - Visa in hand!

AOS Timeline:

1/30/08 - Sent AOS pkg Priority Mail with USPS

3/12/08 - Biometrics taken

3/29/08 - EAD and AP in hand for me and my son

5/21/08 - Email-GC on its way!...RFE for my son's application

5/27/08 - GC arrives!!!

7/02/08 - Sons GC arrives!!!

ROC TIMELINE

3/23/10 - ROC sent!

3/29/10 - NOA1

4/22/10 - Biometrics Appt for me and my son

6/30/10 - Email saying card production ordered for me and my son

7/6/10 - Letter in the mail saying cards will arrive within 60 days

7/10/10 - Both cards received!

Timeline
Im in winnipeg right now and if i drive the extra 20+ hours to go to detroit Im gonna be royally pissed.

If you are royally pissed, don't let it show. Detroit officers tend to be rough around the edges.

And yes, they do uphold the fact that entry is up to the officer. And they can hold you for three hours if they want to...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
So does this mean that me going through Toronto airport, that I wont get an EAD??? That will be the only way that I can get to Georgia. I have no car, my fiancee can't make the drive up here. What am I going to do??

Unfortunately, no airport entries from Canada to the US give the EAD stamp. You will go through pre-immigration screening in Toronto, not the US, and they don't issue the stamp. I think it would be safe to bet on not being able to work until you are able to get the EAD after submitting the AOS after you get married. Do apply for your SSN within 2 weeks of arriving as it will make things easier in getting everything else set up.

So, where in Georgia are you coming to? There are a few Canadian VJers here already. I actually live about 20 miles south of Harsfield Jackson Airport. I came here on a K-1 3 1/2 years ago now.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

So how long will it take for me to get that stamp?

Hopefully I get approved at my interview on Oct 24th (dont see why I'd be denied) and I should be moving down there on or before Nov 15th. We were planning on getting married just after January 1st. We chose around that date because with it being so close to Christmas, plus with his birthday in Feb, that we'd have it done somewhere in between. I do plan on getting a SSN within the 2 weeks. Do I need to get one for my son as well? He's 4 years old.

I'll be moving to Conyers.

Here's my K-1 Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

5/27/08 - GC arrives!!!

ROC TIMELINE

3/23/10 - ROC sent!

3/29/10 - NOA1

Timeline

Conyers! Wonderful - that is about half an hour's drive from where we are. It is a nice town

- I have visited the Olympic Horse Park there for events quite a number of times.

Your plans sound lovely - and you will enjoy what passes for winter here, unless you are into snow :-). We get below freezing at times overnight but it is almost always back up into the high 40s or low 50s during the day. You won't need winter boots and I just brought a heavy fall jacket and have barely had to wear that.

I don't believe they will give your son a SSN until after he gets his green card but he shouldn't need one before then either so I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck at your interview - I am sure you will do fine. And, if there is anything I can help you with especially after you move down, don't hesitate to ask.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Well thats one less thing to worry about lol. Thanks Kathryn!!

Here's my K-1 Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

5/27/08 - GC arrives!!!

ROC TIMELINE

3/23/10 - ROC sent!

3/29/10 - NOA1

Timeline
So how long will it take for me to get that stamp?

Just noticed this part of your question - I got so excited about seeing you were coming to Conyers!

When you get married, you will apply for your Adjustment of Status (AOS). Included in with that you will also submit an application for Employment Authorization (and Advance Parole if you want to leave the country and be allowed to return before your green card arrives). Up until the fee increase they were saying it would take about 90 days to get an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) - it is a credit card sized card not a stamp. THat is your proof that you are allowed to work while waiting for your green cad (AOS) to be approved.

You'll be able to spend the time waiting for your EAD getting familiar with your new community and its surroundings if that helps.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.