JonathansWife

K-3, AOS? Please HELP!!!

27 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks for the link. I guess I misunderstood.

It's easy to misunderstand. As long as he's in no hurry to work, there's no hurry to file AOS. I actually waited to file, so that our two-year wedding anniversary would occur before the AOS interview. That would give my wife and daughter 10 year green cards instead of 2 year cards. It saves a lot of hassle and about $500 each in fees to remove conditions.

When you're ready, just file for AOS and EAD together, paying $1010. Make sure you do so a few months before his I-94 expires. Or file three months or so before he needs to work, whichever works best for you.

We ended up filing two months earlier than we wanted to, in order to avoid the higher fees but I wasn't going to cut it close. I made sure the papers got there a few days before the increase went into effect but only a few days, because I actually want to be delayed by the rush but not have anybody confused about whether we paid the correct fee.

Really? If the AOS interview is done after you have been married 2 years- you get a 10 year instead of a 2?

I didn't know that.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

It's easy to misunderstand. As long as he's in no hurry to work, there's no hurry to file AOS. I actually waited to file, so that our two-year wedding anniversary would occur before the AOS interview. That would give my wife and daughter 10 year green cards instead of 2 year cards. It saves a lot of hassle and about $500 each in fees to remove conditions.

When you're ready, just file for AOS and EAD together, paying $1010. Make sure you do so a few months before his I-94 expires. Or file three months or so before he needs to work, whichever works best for you.

We ended up filing two months earlier than we wanted to, in order to avoid the higher fees but I wasn't going to cut it close. I made sure the papers got there a few days before the increase went into effect but only a few days, because I actually want to be delayed by the rush but not have anybody confused about whether we paid the correct fee.

Really? If the AOS interview is done after you have been married 2 years- you get a 10 year instead of a 2?

I didn't know that.

It's nice to know you can still learn something every day. :yes:

The "conditions" others must have removed later are because the green card was issued based on a marriage of less than two years. It's the same pricipal that applies to an immigrant visa. If the US entry occurs after the two year wedding anniversary, you get a 10 year card. If the visa is issued after the two year anniversary you get an IR1 visa instead of CR1, also resulting in a 10 year card.

Delaying AOS is not a good choice for everybody.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Absolutely agree that its not for everyone. For us it is a good idea. My wife will need to be able to travel back to visit her folks and then back to the states, which the K3 will let her do since its multiple entry. She has no plans to work immediately, and can/will easily wait two+ years. :yes:

You'll want to carefully evaluate your own priorities and circumstances after US entry. My strategy isn't for everybody. In our case, we could file for EAD separately and did so.

Fantastic. I was thinking of eventually doing the same thing. I would eventually have posed a question here asking if this was possible and a good idea (waiting for AOS so that the 2 year wedding anniversary passes before AOS interview), but I didn't want to put the cart before the horse. But now I know!

Cheers.

03/12/2007 - Married to my beautiful wife

04/16/2007 - Sent I-130 to VSC via USPS Express Mail

05/12/2007 - NOA1 received by snail mail after a loooong wait

05/14/2007 - Sent I-129F for K3 to Chicago Lockbox via USPS Express Mail

10/22/2007 - I129F APPROVED (161 days), I130 APPROVED (188 days)

11/08/2007 - I129F received at NVC, embassy case number generated.

11/13/2007 - I129F forwarded to embassy.

11/18/2007 - 129F petition received at embassy

01/09/2008 - finally, DOS gives me the interview date, April 16, 2007 (ouch)

01/23/2008 - never got packet 4, emailed embassy

04/11/2008 - picked up packet 4, did medical

04/14/2008 - medical report pickup, no problems

04/16/2008 - interview date- APPROVED!!!!!

04/18/2008 - both of us are home at last, POE JFK!

05/21/2008 - sent AOS and EAD

05/27/2008 - received NOA1 for AOS and for EAD

06/02/2008 - received Biometrics appt letter

06/19/2008 - Biometrics appointment scheduled - DONE

06/19/2008 - both AOS and EAD touched because of biometrics

07/29/2008 - EAD approved.

05/13/2009 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!/ Card production ordered email

05/18/2009 - Welcome Letter received

06/12/2009 - Second card production ordered email

06/19/2009 - Approval notice send email

06/22/2009 - Green Card received

04/09/2012 - Applied for Citizenship by Express Mailing N400 to NBC

04/10/2012 - N400 received by USCIS

06/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment

07/27/2012 - Appointment scheduled for N400 interview

09/05/2012 - Interview passed, oath ceremony completed, and Naturalization certificate received.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

Yes, I think we will be waiting to file AOS but still do the EAD. Thanks for the input, Reba. And congrats on your case!

Edited by JonathansWife

Timeline

I didn't know that.

Yup! :thumbs:

I thought about it (briefly) prior to filing, but I decided I wanted PR status even though it is conditional. We haven't been married that long and to wait until after our 2 year anniversary would cut it a little too close for my liking. I didn't want to have to deal with an expired I-94 if my AOS was held up for whatever reason.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline

I didn't know that.

Yup! :thumbs:

I thought about it (briefly) prior to filing, but I decided I wanted PR status even though it is conditional. We haven't been married that long and to wait until after our 2 year anniversary would cut it a little too close for my liking. I didn't want to have to deal with an expired I-94 if my AOS was held up for whatever reason.

I knew that if you have filed after 2 years of marriage you receive a 10 year card instead of a 2 year.

What I'm confused about is- if the 2 year anniversary comes around while you are in the US awaiting the AOS interview- do you get the 10 year?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I knew that if you have filed after 2 years of marriage you receive a 10 year card instead of a 2 year.

What I'm confused about is- if the 2 year anniversary comes around while you are in the US awaiting the AOS interview- do you get the 10 year?

Magic date is when the greencard is approved/issued... after two year mark then 10 year card....

YMMV

Timeline

Magic date is when the greencard is approved/issued... after two year mark then 10 year card....

So, in that respect- would being stuck in FBI namecheck be a good thing if it pushes you over the 2 years mark?

Timeline

So, in that respect- would being stuck in FBI namecheck be a good thing if it pushes you over the 2 years mark?

Other than keeping your EAD and or AP (if required) documents fresh....I suppose you could look at it that way.....

YMMV

Timeline

Other than keeping your EAD and or AP (if required) documents fresh....I suppose you could look at it that way.....

As a K-3. I don't need AP. I sent my EAD separate from the AOS so I will have 2 years on it.

I have 9 months until 2nd Anniversary- if my interview or greencard is issued after that, that would be nice. Not having to worry about removing conditions would be lovely.

Now that I actually want this process to be slow- I'll probably get my Interview soon :)

Timeline

As a K-3. I don't need AP. I sent my EAD separate from the AOS so I will have 2 years on it.

I have 9 months until 2nd Anniversary- if my interview or greencard is issued after that, that would be nice. Not having to worry about removing conditions would be lovely.

Now that I actually want this process to be slow- I'll probably get my Interview soon :)

You do need AP if your AOS is not approved before your K-3 visa exires (that is why I said IF required)

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.