trailmix

Has a thread in the Canada forum ever been closed before!?

38 posts in this topic

Awhile ago I saw a person being told not to post again simply because he used the key phrase "I believe that..." in a response to someone's question. If we're asking posters to differentiate their responses between opinion and fact with the phrase "I believe that" or "it's my opinion that..." and yet they're getting belittled for doing what they've been asked to do, then how can they feel comfortable posting the next time?

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Wow, go to Canada for a week and all hell breaks loose on VJ. Guess nothing has changed while I was gone, but I have a lot of catching up to do. :lol:

I was holding down the fort in VA while you and flames were out of state. Nothing new to report except it's less hot out now than it was before you left. :)

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Awhile ago I saw a person being told not to post again simply because he used the key phrase "I believe that..." in a response to someone's question. If we're asking posters to differentiate their responses between opinion and fact with the phrase "I believe that" or "it's my opinion that..." and yet they're getting belittled for doing what they've been asked to do, then how can they feel comfortable posting the next time?

Unfortunately, not everyone will see this the same way. I can appreciate saying 'I believe that' because to me, if I were the OP, that would clearly mean it was not a definitive answer.

But the next person who happens along may just focus on the wrong answer instead of the fact that they tried to alert the OP to their 'lack of correctness'. Which I agree, doesn't make one feel comfortable - but at some point, you have to just get over it. You're never going to be able to control other people's reactions to your best efforts.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

who decides what is the correct information though?

we just give information that we have from our personal experiences (like I mentioned earlier) and information we might have done research on but it all should still be taken with a grain of salt...

I think it is pretty dangerous to take one person's answers as fact....regardless of who that person is...

i don't want to give off the wrong impression here because there are some pretty knowledgeable people on VJ and it is great that they want to help other people out... :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
who decides what is the correct information though?

we just give information that we have from our personal experiences (like I mentioned earlier) and information we might have done research on but it all should still be taken with a grain of salt...

I think it is pretty dangerous to take one person's answers as fact....regardless of who that person is...

i don't want to give off the wrong impression here because there are some pretty knowledgeable people on VJ and it is great that they want to help other people out... :thumbs:

No one can tell another person exactly what will happen in their individual case. But certainly people who have been through a particular process (i.e. waivers in Mexico in my case) can provide a whole lot more accurate information than people who know nothing about it. And along the same vein, if someone is continually misinterpreting the law or posting laws that don't apply, there are many people capable of pointing that out and correcting the error.

Just because someone tries to clarify errors doesn't give the OP the right to personally attack them - it's uncalled for and it's one of the reasons people like me will leave.

Timeline

i used to help out in the CR1 forum because I knew a little about that process... but now I don't because things change in this process all the time and things that might have been true when I went through the process might not be true now...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Great. Just what I wanted. I thought this was going to be over but...

By the way I am a she. I will take responsibility for what I said in the original thread, but to feel like I should take sole responsibility for how it wound up, in my opinion, is unfair. I said what I said because of how I felt and I still stand by it. No one can really be 100% correct when advice is given in any particular situation. Therefore, in my opinion, it's not helpful for someone to say in a thread about how VJ has changed so much and that people are just throwing misinformation around if you take a look at the thread.. Wouldn't it be more helpful to correct someone in a polite manner and move on? But that is not what was done, At the time, that gave me the impression that A)since I was a part of that thread originally, what I had said was misinformation, that B)There are some members that are more credible than others for which ever reasons and C)That because I am new, as someone put it, that must mean that my opinion or knowledge base must be small and infinite.

I'm sorry I ranted here in the Canadian forum. I should, as I have said, just kept my mouth shut. My intention was not to offend, but to express my annoyance with some things and I shouldn't have done it.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Just in case anyone was really wondering, 3 threads have been locked in the Canada forum before:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86628

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82555

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=79556

thetreble, you started a majority of them! :whistle::lol:

Timeline
Just in case anyone was really wondering, 3 threads have been locked in the Canada forum before:

see post #4 :P:lol:

she must be a troublemaker :lol:

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

That's what I get for not reading the whole thread. :lol:

Timeline

:lol: oh yeah such a rebel!

Just so you know..yes, 2/3 threads that have been closed were started by me. The first one was me asking if any one had a version of Microsoft Word because I needed to do some last minute wedding invitations. Now if any one is going to chalk that up against me as someone who doesn't have the right to post here because I'm making trouble, than I don't know what to tell you. :lol:

Also, just to be factual, I never personally attacked you, kitkat. If you think so, then you must not understand what a personal attack is. I never called you a name. I said that I felt you posts were annoying in the thread and making sure others know that VJ has gone down the tubes with each additional member was unnecessary. I also told you to get a life because you called ME annoying. See the difference between saying "I feel what you are saying is annoying" and "YOU are annoying?" Please, read the thread again before you make me out to be a bad guy. I think that is really unfair of you.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

That's what I get for not reading the whole thread. :lol:

shame on you... :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

I Would like to send you a personal message kitkat with a truce but after I was done writing it it said I couldn't send it to you. This might be because you have blocked me or something. But just so you know if you want to read my message, I have it here.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Timeline
The first one was me asking if any one had a (illegal) version of Microsoft Word because I needed to do some last minute wedding invitations. Now if any one is going to chalk that up against me as someone who doesn't have the right to post here because I'm making trouble, than I don't know what to tell you. :lol:

Which happens to be a violation of TOS.

Also, just to be factual, I never personally attacked you, kitkat. If you think so, then you must not understand what a personal attack is. I never called you a name. I said that I felt you posts were annoying in the thread and making sure others know that VJ has gone down the tubes with each additional member was unnecessary. I also told you to get a life because you called ME annoying. See the difference between saying "I feel what you are saying is annoying" and "YOU are annoying?" Please, read the thread again before you make me out to be a bad guy.

I understand what you are saying. But again, then why be here? To go on about how "it's just not the same here anymore" is kind of well....*yawn* As this site becomes more popular, the more people will be on here with limited information. You just have to accept it. There is no point in pointing it out numerous times.

Personally, people rolling their eyes at information that might not be true is just as annoying as the misinformation itself.

It's people like you who ruin a forum for others to feel comfortable enough to come here and ask questions. It's that holier than thou attitude found so often on a board like this (ie. i know more than you). I'm new to VJ so obviously I don't know anything. Get a life.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
That because I am new, as someone put it, that must mean that my opinion or knowledge base must be small and infinite.

No one ever said that - only that the personal attacks you posted were especially shocking given that they came from a newbie.

(If you don't think you personally attacked me, just read D's thread with YOUR quotes.

Have fun - I'm outta here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.