Dmitri

AP and minor overstay

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Does anyone have any thoughts on the following situation:

My fiancee came here on a K1 and we married within 90 days. We also sent the AOS papers in within the 90 days, but due to 7-day delay in the application reaching Chicago by mail, there was a 1-2 day gap between expiration of the K1 and receipt of the AOS application by CIS. I guess AOS is considered "filed" only after Chicago receives it.

As a result, I guess she technically has a tiny out-of-status period, even though she complied with the K1 requirement to marry within 90 days. Now I know that a small out-of-status period like this is not an issue in terms of the AOS itself.

However, could my wife potentially have issues traveling out of the US with AP, assuming she has accrued a couple of days of out-of-status time? I know that 6 months or more of overstay are generally a bar to returning to the US.

I am assuming this won't be an issue, but am obviously a bit nervous about it.

Thanks!

-Dmitri

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't see it as a problem. When you marry a USC, most overstays are forgiven.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

It is required that you get married within the 90 day period. It is not required that AOS be filed in this time frame. Everything is ok with her status.

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
I guess AOS is considered "filed" only after Chicago receives it.

Technically, filing in government speak is handing the package over to the post office using 1st class mail and getting a postmark.

You must "file" your taxes by April XX.

You must "file" your petition by July XX to beat the rate increase.

That being said, often an adjudicator forgets this difference and needs to be reminded, and sometimes this needs to get escalated to his/her supervisor.

All this being said, you have nothing to worry about - you did file before 90 days elapsed.

No overstay, You could also see my K-2 overtime timeline.

Lifting of Conditions - I-751 for My K-1

04/27/07: Mail I-751 to Vermont

04/30/07: Vermont received I-751 (day 1)

05/03/07: Received confirmation of delivered package

05/25/07: Received BLUE Finger Print Receipt Notification Dated 5/18/07 (day 25)

06/11/07: Received NOA1 dated 5/24/07 (day 42)

06/13/07: Received Biometric Appointment Notice dated 6/8/07 for 06/22/07 (day 44)

06/22/07: Biometric Appointment @ 2:00 Done (day 53)

Touches: 6/22, 6/24 = Status: Case received and pending

10/25/07: Card production ordered on 10/24/07 (day 180)

11/02/07: Received 10 Years Green Card..Done...but you know what is next...lol...(188)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.