Gregorio!

Could I apply to AOS with my single name?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
:help: I went to obtain my SSN but they said that my name was not properly written in the system SAVE (form I-94), so we went to Kansas to make them update it, to make it short it will take some time to get SSN, so could I send all AOS documents with my single name? I'm very worried because my K1 expires on Oct 7th, I'll appreciate all your comments, thanks :wacko:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
:help: I went to obtain my SSN but they said that my name was not properly written in the system SAVE (form I-94), so we went to Kansas to make them update it, to make it short it will take some time to get SSN, so could I send all AOS documents with my single name? I'm very worried because my K1 expires on Oct 7th, I'll appreciate all your comments, thanks :wacko:

Your K-1 technically expired upon entry... When does your I-94 expire? As long as you are married before the expiration of the I-94 you are under no obligation to file your AOS by that time. It is good to do so but no mandate.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your K-1 technically expired upon entry... When does your I-94 expire? As long as you are married before the expiration of the I-94 you are under no obligation to file your AOS by that time. It is good to do so but no mandate.

You have three months to be married upon entry. Once married, the K-1 expires, and you are merely someone's wife in the US. If you don't apply for AOS after you are married, you are OUT OF STATUS. But you cannot apply for AOS right now any ways because you are not yet married.

Does the OP intend to be married before October 7th? I think that is the better question. After you are married you won't have to worry about your "single" name. It is best to file AOS in your married name.

Edited by thetreble

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
You have three months to be married upon entry. Once married, the K-1 expires, and you are merely someone's wife in the US. If you don't apply for AOS after you are married, you are OUT OF STATUS. But you cannot apply for AOS right now any ways because you are not yet married.

Does the OP intend to be married before October 7th? I think that is the better question. After you are married you won't have to worry about your "single" name. It is best to file AOS in your married name.

According to there timeline the marriage occured on July 13th....

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you changed your name after marriage then file with your married name. If you didn't change your name after marriage, then you would use your maiden name.

The name on the I-485, I-765 and I-131 is the name that will be on the GC, EAD, AP (where applicable).

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline

According to there timeline the marriage occured on July 13th....

I see that now. Well, then the OP is technically out of status. It is up to you what name you want to use on your AOS application. I'd use my married name but if you wish to use your single name, know that you will only be able to use your single name because it will be on a ton of documents.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline
I see that now. Well, then the OP is technically out of status.

NO.... they are not yet out of status as the I-94 is valid until October 7th.... At which time without a filed AOS then they will technically fall into that category....

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

You don't need your name to be officially changed at the SS to use it on your AOS application.

What matters is the name you want to use. If you wish to use your married name: put the married name. If you want an hyphenated name put that. If you want to keep your maiden name, use it.

I put my married name even if I can't get it changed on my social security card yet (have to wait for EAD or Green Card).

Just decided. If you change your mind later on you have to pay a fee to get the name on the Green Card changed.

Edited by Cécy

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Timeline
I see that now. Well, then the OP is technically out of status.

NO.... they are not yet out of status as the I-94 is valid until October 7th.... At which time without a filed AOS then they will technically fall into that category....

I didn't think the I-94 has anything to do with your status once you are married. Guess I'm wrong.

From VJ:

After marriage, apply for Adjustment of Status (AOS). You should file as soon as possible. If you have not filed for AOS and your K-1 expires, you will be considered out-of-status until you file. Make all attempts to file before you become out-of-status. You may also file for your EAD and AP at this time.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
It is best to file AOS in your married name.

It doesn't matter what name you file AOS with, as long as it is the name you will be using in real life. If you wish to change your name somewhere down the line it WILL cost you more money. USCIS will charge you for that privilege.

So, if you want to use your maiden name then that's fine. Just be sure it is the one you wish to use in your life, be it through work, bank accounts or other official documents.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline
It is best to file AOS in your married name.

It doesn't matter what name you file AOS with, as long as it is the name you will be using in real life. If you wish to change your name somewhere down the line it WILL cost you more money. USCIS will charge you for that privilege.

So, if you want to use your maiden name then that's fine. Just be sure it is the one you wish to use in your life, be it through work, bank accounts or other official documents.

I was going to say exactly this....

It is easier (and cheaper) if you wish to use your married name in the future to do so on the AOS paperwork. For your SSN just wait till you have either the EAD or greencard and go to the SS office and change to your married name.

I 130 & I129F (K3) and AOS info in timeline

Timeline
I didn't think the I-94 has anything to do with your status once you are married. Guess I'm wrong.

From VJ:

After marriage, apply for Adjustment of Status (AOS). You should file as soon as possible. If you have not filed for AOS and your K-1 I-94 expires, you will be considered out-of-status until you file. Make all attempts to file before you become out-of-status. You may also file for your EAD and AP at this time.

Actually the "quoute" from VJ is wrong (I edited it to make more accurate) as your K-1 expiry has nothing to do with your status and is 100% governed by the I-94. A person can marry on day 1 after entry on a K-1 and if they decide to leave the USA before the I-94 expires, they have accrued absolutely zero (0) days of "out of status" time....

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.