lizaanne

OH NO!!! I forgot to change my name on my passport!

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I can not believe I totally forgot to do this! We will be married one year on the 30th, and even though I picked up the paperwork to change my name right after the wedding, I just never did it, and didn't remember until three days ago.

Is there anything I can do? Anything I even need to worry about?

My name on my plane ticket will not match my passport - how much of a problem is this?

I will try to find some sort of official number to call today and see if I can speak to someone about it, but hope that you all have some experience with this as well. I can't be the first woman to travel after getting married who didn't change her passport.

Thanks all!!!

~Liza

10 Year Green Card Holder Since July 2009 --- Thank you Visa Journey!!! :-)

I'm not sure what the policy on every airline is, but I can tell you that my mother-in-law travelled to my wedding using a passport in her married name whilst the ticket had her maiden name (it's also her professional name -- I goofed on booking the ticket!). She flew on Delta and there was no problem -- we hadn't even noticed there was a discrepancy until we were on the flight and she was filling out her I-94W! Nobody mentioned anything on the London or New York ends.

Still, I wouldn't bank on this. Call the airline and explain your situation, and ask what they recommend. Sometimes it's as simple as bringing along your marriage certificate, and sometimes they'll re-ticket for free or for a nominal amount. Good luck!

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline

I never thought to have the ticket reissued to match the passport - I can't imagine them doing something like that "post 911", but it's certainly worth a try I suppose.

Thanks for the suggestion! I have to resolve this today or I will continue to loose sleep over it.

~Liza

From what i am lead to believe you just need to take your marriage certificate with you when you travel

k37hm7.png

03-06-10 Mailed N-400

03-17-10 Check cashed

03-19-10 NOA received

03-22-10 Biometrics sent

04-09-10 Biometrics appointment

06-14-10 Interview Date

06-22-10 Received letter for Oath

07-02-10 Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Liza,

a friend of mine did the exact same thing - she was fine providing her marriage certificate upon check in with Delta Airlines.

Good luck to you.

View my Timeline

R.I.P. Diana

1982 - 2008

Timeline

Well, I called the passport info number. The guy said that I should try to get my passport changed before I travel, and that it is a three week turn around time. I explained to him (three times) that I am leaving in 17 days. He said that if I don't get my passport by 14 days prior to my travel date (duh - that would be three days from now), that I could request a meeting at a regional passport center and they would do the best they can to accommodate me. :blink:

I explained YET AGAIN that I am traveling in 17 days - then he finally "got it", and told me that I can travel with my passport and marriage certificate, but that I really should at least try to get the passport changed before I go. With this short of a lead time, I'm not letting my passport out of my hands so it can float around some processing center and take the chance of not having it.

I'll just take my chances and travel with the marriage certificate and hope all will be well.

Thank you all for making me feel a bit better about this - I can't be the only woman to travel internationally without changing her name on her passport. What about people who travel for their honeymoons and stuff? Ok - ok - I waited a year, yep, that's my fault totally. I just hope I don't get burned by it. :unsure:

~Liza

Timeline

If they are telling you its ok to travel with the marriage certificate my suggestion is do it that way. When i sent out for my passport IN APRIL i didnt get it until JULY.

evil, evil travel bureau........

Edited by freecake

K1 Timeline!

I-129F Sent - May 9, 2007

Recieved hard copy NOA1 - May 19, 2007

NOA2 !!! - August 10, 2007

Interview scheduled for Nov 6th, 2007 APPROVED weeee

Entry 11/24/07

Marriage: 1/14/08

(see timeline for full list of dates/info)

AOS

Sent package to Chicago - 1/23/2008

Recv'd - 1/25/2008

Notice Date for I-485, I-765, and I-131 - 1/30/2008

Transfer notice to Cali - 2/12/2008

Biometrics - 2/21/2008

EAD Card Production ordered 3/19/08

and again on 3/24/08 ??

AP approved 3/19/08

AP document received 3/25/08

Touched 3/27/08

Called to check case status 12/15/08 were told we are still in processing time

RFE email notice 1/9/09

Medical appointment 1/31/09. husband loses RFE paper same day.

New RFE paper requested on 2/4/09.

New RFE paper received 2/28/09..gee good thing that RFE isnt due til beginning of April!!!!!!

Send RFE reply 3/3/08

EAD Approval was NOT updated online. We had an infopass meeting for 3/6 and then the EAD shows up in the mail on 3/5!!!! cancelled appointment,

all i have to say is #######.

STILL WAITING in March 09

Bring your marriage certificate with you :thumbs: Have a great trip

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.