Vann

Quest about medical exam

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance is having her medical exam in two days and she recently became sick. Many signs seem to be pointing toward either a cold or flu (Not good, considering her EMBASSY INTERVIEW is next week! We always have the worst luck!).

Whether this question sounds stupid or not, I don't care--I need this answered.

Will a cold or flu affect her medical exam in any way, shape or form? What I mean is--would this affect her medical exam or would she be fine?

I've heard the visa can be denied if the person has some sort of disease but would this also apply to a simple cold or flu?

Thank you.

*Sigh*...this couldn't have come at a worse possible time. :(

December 5, 2005: We met online and our lives changed--instant connection, became best friends

May 15, 2006: She is put on temporary hold from her job and asks me if I could hold on for her in the event she didn't get the job back. I said "yes, of course" and she finally proclaimed her love to me and admitted she'd loved me since February.

September 25, 2006: I land in Manila airport and rush into my baby's arms for the first time. We were both surprised to realise we were NOT nervous.

September 25, 2006: Our first kiss :P

September 27, 2006: I proposed to her in person and she accepted! :)

December 20, 2006: Mailed I-129 K1 petition to Texas service Center

January 15, 2007: Petition returned to me rejected :/ (placed wrong amount on check--duh!)

Febrary 10, 2007: Resubmitted the petition adding updated info pages and a CORRECT check

February 26, 2007: NOA1

May 28, 2007: I land in Manila on our anniversary and we feel whole and complete yet again :)

June 20, 2007: NOA2 which said it would take six months for an interview (Dunno why it said that)

August 4, 2007: My baby receives Packet 4 unexpectedly out of nowhere--the frantic cramming begins

August 23, 2007: Frantically prepared documents FedExed

August 30, 2007: My baby has a long two days at St. Lukes but checks out fine! :)

September 6, 2007: Interview date: after 8 agonising hours--APPROVED!!! :D

September 6, 2007: Plans for her arrival in January 2008 for our wedding are established! :)

January 28, 2008: Marriage

I think she can get it postponed it necessary. You probably need to call St. Lukes. Good luck :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline
My fiance is having her medical exam in two days and she recently became sick. Many signs seem to be pointing toward either a cold or flu (Not good, considering her EMBASSY INTERVIEW is next week! We always have the worst luck!).

Will a cold or flu affect her medical exam in any way, shape or form? What I mean is--would this affect her medical exam or would she be fine?

I've heard the visa can be denied if the person has some sort of disease but would this also apply to a simple cold or flu?

Thank you.

It's not a stupid question at all. If she has a cough, SLEC may request additional tests for TB. If they do that, they will cancel the interview because there is not enough time to get the test and results before the interview.

This type of problem is why I always recommend doing the medical well in advance (about a month or so).

Timeline

Thank you for the replies! Well, my fiance was diagnosed a few months ago with hypothyroidism. She takes medication for it but it fluctuates as thyroid problems usually do.

Should THIS pose a problem at the medical exam?

December 5, 2005: We met online and our lives changed--instant connection, became best friends

May 15, 2006: She is put on temporary hold from her job and asks me if I could hold on for her in the event she didn't get the job back. I said "yes, of course" and she finally proclaimed her love to me and admitted she'd loved me since February.

September 25, 2006: I land in Manila airport and rush into my baby's arms for the first time. We were both surprised to realise we were NOT nervous.

September 25, 2006: Our first kiss :P

September 27, 2006: I proposed to her in person and she accepted! :)

December 20, 2006: Mailed I-129 K1 petition to Texas service Center

January 15, 2007: Petition returned to me rejected :/ (placed wrong amount on check--duh!)

Febrary 10, 2007: Resubmitted the petition adding updated info pages and a CORRECT check

February 26, 2007: NOA1

May 28, 2007: I land in Manila on our anniversary and we feel whole and complete yet again :)

June 20, 2007: NOA2 which said it would take six months for an interview (Dunno why it said that)

August 4, 2007: My baby receives Packet 4 unexpectedly out of nowhere--the frantic cramming begins

August 23, 2007: Frantically prepared documents FedExed

August 30, 2007: My baby has a long two days at St. Lukes but checks out fine! :)

September 6, 2007: Interview date: after 8 agonising hours--APPROVED!!! :D

September 6, 2007: Plans for her arrival in January 2008 for our wedding are established! :)

January 28, 2008: Marriage

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I had pneumonia when I went for my interview and it did not affect a thing! The only problem it caused was that I could not get my vaccinations done that day because of it. The CS said I needed to be well in order to receive them. Wasn't a huge deal though because when the pneumonia cleared up, I went and got all my vaccinations done by my primary care DR.

When i came to the US, I needed a CS to fill out the I-693A vaccination supplement sheet stating that i DID end up getting all my vaccinations. So, make sure that you remember this incase she can't get the vaccinations at her medical and ha sto get them later.

Thank you.

036.jpg

Timeline:

*Met in Tanzfleck, Germany October 24, 2003 - Continued dating until he got out of the ARMY in Nov. 2005. Continued LD relationship.

*Came to visit me in Germany for New Years 2006

*Filed for K1 Visa on 4/4/06

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*I-129F NOA2 Approved - 9/14/06

*Came to see me Thanksgiving week in Nov. 2006

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*K1 Visa received - 2/11/07

*Date of US Entry (POE Chicago)- 3/5/07

*Wedding/Marriage - 3/17/07

AOS (My case was expedited due to husband going to Iraq):

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*Found out in the beginning of June that husband is going to Iraq

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Made Infopass appointment to get case expedited due to deployment (Infopass appt 6/12/07)

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

*Interview date - 7/11/07

*I-485 Aprroval date- 7/11/07

*Green Card Received- 7/19/07

Removal of Conditions:

*Filed petition to remove conditions on 6/9/09

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Biometrics Appt. in Birmingham - 8/6/09

*Lifting of Conditions Approval Date - 10/22/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Had our daughter on 4/4/08 and have another baby due 11/19/09!!!

Timeline

No! Hypothyroidism will not pose a problem. Just make sure she tells the CS that she has it and stuff. It is wise to bring her medication for it to the CS - I had to bring my anti-depressant medications with me to my CS. :wacko:

Thank you for the replies! Well, my fiance was diagnosed a few months ago with hypothyroidism. She takes medication for it but it fluctuates as thyroid problems usually do.

Should THIS pose a problem at the medical exam?

036.jpg

Timeline:

*Met in Tanzfleck, Germany October 24, 2003 - Continued dating until he got out of the ARMY in Nov. 2005. Continued LD relationship.

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Made Infopass appointment to get case expedited due to deployment (Infopass appt 6/12/07)

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

Removal of Conditions:

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Timeline
I had pneumonia when I went for my interview and it did not affect a thing! The only problem it caused was that I could not get my vaccinations done that day because of it. The CS said I needed to be well in order to receive them. Wasn't a huge deal though because when the pneumonia cleared up, I went and got all my vaccinations done by my primary care DR.

When i came to the US, I needed a CS to fill out the I-693A vaccination supplement sheet stating that i DID end up getting all my vaccinations. So, make sure that you remember this incase she can't get the vaccinations at her medical and ha sto get them later.

Thank you.

Magnolia31 - The OP question was for Manila SLEC medical. They are concerned with TB there, so a cough can be a problem with them.

*Sigh*...this couldn't have come at a worse possible time

Could be worse if her period starts now!

Unless you want to wait a couple more months don't postpone the medical.

Worst that can happen is if anything shows up on the CXR they will require a 3 day sputum check. "Normally" people still get cleared in time for the interview.

Hypothyroidism won't cause any problems. Only contagious diseases and mental problems will cause problems being passed.

I know it's to late for you but any others out there pay attention and have your medicals at least 2 weeks early if not more.

I had my wife have hers almost 2 months prior.

Also had her get CXR for TB . Test for Hepa B a year before.

Yeah sounds like overkill but if TB or Hepa b is detected they can be treated and won't have a 6+ month delay after the medical to be stable.

Depending on life styles. It's a good idea for the petitioner and beneficiary to have HIV test also as soon as it looks like the LDR is going to lead to marriage.

May as well find out and not waste the time going thru the immigration process only to be denied.

"###### HAPPENS"

Edited by beckypua

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

I agree there but my point is that they won't deny her a visa or whatever just because of a cold/flu. He asked "I've heard the visa can be denied if the person has some sort of disease but would this also apply to a simple cold or flu?" so I said not because of a cold or flu. I have no clue how they treat TB cases or whatever and he did not say anything about TB - I'm sure he knows what they would do if it did turn out to be TB. I am only talking about his question regarding if it turns out to be just a cold or flu.

My pneumonia did not pose a threat for failing my medical exam and that's worse than a cold or flu.

Thank you.

Magnolia31 - The OP question was for Manila SLEC medical. They are concerned with TB there, so a cough can be a problem with them.

Who told you mental problems will fail you during the exam? I've got anxiety disorder and depression which are both mental illnesses. I passed my medical exam and was granted a K-1 .... and later on got approved for my GC.

Does it differ from embassy to embassy?

*Sigh*...this couldn't have come at a worse possible time

Could be worse if her period starts now!

Unless you want to wait a couple more months don't postpone the medical.

Worst that can happen is if anything shows up on the CXR they will require a 3 day sputum check. "Normally" people still get cleared in time for the interview.

Hypothyroidism won't cause any problems. Only contagious diseases and mental problems will cause problems being passed.

I know it's to late for you but any others out there pay attention and have your medicals at least 2 weeks early if not more.

I had my wife have hers almost 2 months prior.

Also had her get CXR for TB . Test for Hepa B a year before.

Yeah sounds like overkill but if TB or Hepa b is detected they can be treated and won't have a 6+ month delay after the medical to be stable.

Depending on life styles. It's a good idea for the petitioner and beneficiary to have HIV test also as soon as it looks like the LDR is going to lead to marriage.

May as well find out and not waste the time going thru the immigration process only to be denied.

"###### HAPPENS"

Edited by Magnolia31

036.jpg

Timeline:

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

Removal of Conditions:

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Filed: Other Timeline

There are directives in the Panel Physicians Field Manual as to mental illness and which conditions can make an alien 'inadmissable'.

Hence some of the stories of needing extra letters or diagnosis from the family doctor (stories you can locate here on Vj) regarding intending immigrants who are currently on mood-altering medications, or those who have previously self-harmed.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you.

Dont worry as long as its not AIDS she will be okay, all she need is to tell the doctor that she is been sick and what medication she is taking. Good Luck

Who told you mental problems will fail you during the exam? I've got anxiety disorder and depression which are both mental illnesses. I passed my medical exam and was granted a K-1 .... and later on got approved for my GC.

Good for you!

The ten most common grounds for denial of a visa are:

1. The alien has no petitionable relationship with the petitioner.

2. The alien has sought to procure or has procured a visa by fraud or by willful misrepresentation of a material fact.

3. The alien has a communicable disease of public health significance.

4. The alien has a physical or mental disorder with associated harmful behavior that may pose, or has posed, a threat to the property, safety or welfare of the alien or others.

5. The alien has abused a controlled substance, or has admitted to committing acts in violation of any law or regulation of the U.S. or of a foreign country relating to a controlled substance.

6. The alien is likely to be a public charge.

7. The alien has been convicted of or admitted to have committed, a crime involving moral turpitude.

8. The alien does not have a Labor Certification.

9. The alien has been ordered removed (deported) from the U.S.

10. The alien was unlawfully present in the U.S. for 181-364 days and voluntarily departed, in which case the alien will be barred for 3 years, or the alien was unlawfully present in the U.S. for 365 days or more and voluntarily departed, in which case the alien will be barred for 10 years.

Edited by beckypua

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

Some of you are missing the point. The OP asked:

"Will a cold or flu affect her medical exam in any way, shape or form? What I mean is--would this affect her medical exam or would she be fine?"

Yes, it can affect the medical exam, because if she has a cough from the cold/flu, they can request additional tests for TB. This can cause a delay resulting in postponement of the VISA interview. It happens. This is for SLEC. I'm sure other locations are different.

To the OPs second question, no, cold or flu wouldn't cause denial of the VISA.

So, while a cold or flu wouldn't cause a denial, it could cause a delay.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.