Dominic

Is it possible to cancel the K3 application and file for AOS from within the US or could we file for a visa extension?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Also, they would not tell me how to cancel my current I130/I129 K3 paperwork that's currently pending, do any of you know how I can cancel those applications?

You do NOT want to cancel the I-130 it is needed for AOS as well. The I-129F maybe needs to be cancelled though I am not 100% sure because there are those who just don't follow up the I-129F after it's approved. You may want to ask your lawyer again about the I-129F and whether you need to contact USCIS to cancel it and on what basis. I'm curious why the lawyer didn't tell you want to do about your existing petition.

If you feel confident you can file the AOS by yourself, then by all means but your situation is a little different than most AOS cases. Your wife never had any intent to stay but now can't leave for awhile because of medical issues. Hopefully some others will chime in. I think if it were me, I'd have a lawyer since the situation changed mid-petition.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

But the current I130 shows that she was going to be in Canada to receive the visa (whether CR1 or the K3), I would think that would have to change to the local office here in the US, thus I was thinking I would have to re-file the application.

The lawyers just sounded like they wanted the fees and they would handle it, no details on how they would go about canceling the current petitions...

Timeline

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it matters what it said on the I-130 as to where you're going to apply. For AOS purposes there needs to be a pending or approved I-130, you don't need to cancel this one and file another one. The purpose of the I-130 is to establish the relationship between you and your wife and to make a visa number available to her when approved (someone clarify if I didn't get that 100%).

Since USCIS started retaining approved I-130 for those who also filed the I-129F, USCIS is most likely going to assume that you're going the K3 route and using the I-130 for AOS anyway (that's what my I-130 approval notice says).

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it matters what it said on the I-130 as to where you're going to apply. For AOS purposes there needs to be a pending or approved I-130, you don't need to cancel this one and file another one. The purpose of the I-130 is to establish the relationship between you and your wife and to make a visa number available to her when approved (someone clarify if I didn't get that 100%).

Since USCIS started retaining approved I-130 for those who also filed the I-129F, USCIS is most likely going to assume that you're going the K3 route and using the I-130 for AOS anyway (that's what my I-130 approval notice says).

The above agrees with my understanding completely. I'm pretty sure this and more will be cleared up at the infopass appointment.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I spoke with two lawyers and they don't want me to talk to USCIS, they want me to cancel my appointment. Not only that, but all they told me is they would handle the paperwork with canceling the K3 and explain the reason behind the change via a letter. They would not detail as to how they would change the I130 petition to be a US location for Visa pickup as opposed to a Canadian consulate as listed on the form. I hate being totally in the hands of lawyers. I have nothing to hide, what could I say wrong to USCIS?

Timeline

You/they don't have to change the I-130 to reflect a U.S. location as you do not interview in the U.S. based on an I-130 alone. Your wife willl interview for permanent residency with a filed I-485. All an approved I-130 does is grant an immediately available visa number to be used for either consular processing for a CR-1/IR-1 (first processing through the NVC) or for adjustment of status (I-485). There is no visa pickup in the U.S.

There are many people who put down a consular post in their I-130 petition only to change their mind by abandoning processing at the NVC, file for and enter on a K3 and file for AOS instead. The fact that they put down a consular post on their I-130 was of no consequence.

If the lawyers are not answering your questions and explaining everything clearly, you may wish to seek different legal counsel.

Hope this helps!

Edited by misa

AOS & EAD Timeline

OK, I spoke with two lawyers and they don't want me to talk to USCIS, they want me to cancel my appointment. Not only that, but all they told me is they would handle the paperwork with canceling the K3 and explain the reason behind the change via a letter. They would not detail as to how they would change the I130 petition to be a US location for Visa pickup as opposed to a Canadian consulate as listed on the form. I hate being totally in the hands of lawyers. I have nothing to hide, what could I say wrong to USCIS?

What the lawyers have said leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If I were you, I'd keep the appointment and file AOS yourself or look for a better lawyer.

Edited by MargotDarko

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Timeline

What the lawyers have said leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If I were you, I'd keep the appointment and file AOS yourself or look for a better lawyer.

It's unclear to me where the thoiught "change the I-130 petition to be a US location for visa pickup" came from. If a lawyer said that, I think he's full of beans. If it was your thought, then you simply asked the wrong question, IMO. Visa's are issued at Consulates outside the US only and are used to enter the USA. You are already here. If you had a visa, you'd need to leave the US and re-enter to use it. I think what the lawyers would be attempting is to arrange for you to adjust status to permanent resident instead of interviewing for a visa, or possibly just arranging a longer stay on emergency humanitarian grounds, so you can interview later. A letter would likely be the first step in either of those cases.

If I were you, I wouldn't be happy with the way either lawyer explained their plan to you.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

OK, here's what I was told from my Infopass appointment.

The first guy at the window was unsure as to how to go about canceling a K3 so he got someone else from the back.

Basically, I need to do an AOS but the procedure to do that is complicated.

The 485 needs to be filed with either an approved 130 NOA2 notice or a brand new 130 application at the same time.

The problem is I cannot have two 130 petitions in at the same time.

Option 1:

If I wait for a NOA2 on the 130 based on my 7/15/07 NOA1 date, my wife will be out of status as her 6 month visitor status will expire in November. He initially was thinking of letting her visitor status expire (which I was shocked) because he said there is often a 180 day grace period for overstays (never heard that before). That way we wait for a NOA2 with the current 130 petition and then file a 485. We would write USCIS and request the 129 K3 be withdrawn.

Option 2:

The other option is to write USCIS requesting the 130 petition and 129 K3 applications to be withdrawn and start all over with a brand new 130/485 AOS application. In the end, the officer thought this was the best route.

Overall, the lawyers and even the first USCIS officer were unsure as to how to pursue this, well, the lawyers appeared sure but I don't think they knew exactly the proper way to do this. I am happy I went and did not cancel the INFOPASS appointment.

What do you guys think about Option 2?

Thanks for all your great advice and support.

Timeline

I was wondering where you were! :)

The 485 needs to be filed with either an approved 130 NOA2 notice or a brand new 130 application at the same time.

Did they explain why you couldn't use your pending I-130 NOA1 with the I-485? There are a number of people here who entered on a K3 without an approved I-130 that used their pending I-130 with their I-485. I'm just curious as to their reasoning for cancelling the I-130 and starting with a new one.

As for the paperwork at a consular post... your I-130 is still pending, correct? Which means it's still at USCIS. It doesn't even get to the consulate until after approval and after months of processing at the NVC.

Edited by misa

AOS & EAD Timeline

Timeline
OK, here's what I was told from my Infopass appointment.

The first guy at the window was unsure as to how to go about canceling a K3 so he got someone else from the back.

Basically, I need to do an AOS but the procedure to do that is complicated.

The problem is I cannot have two 130 petitions in at the same time.

Option 1:

If I wait for a NOA2 on the 130 based on my 7/15/07 NOA1 date, my wife will be out of status as her 6 month visitor status will expire in November. He initially was thinking of letting her visitor status expire (which I was shocked) because he said there is often a 180 day grace period for overstays (never heard that before). That way we wait for a NOA2 with the current 130 petition and then file a 485. We would write USCIS and request the 129 K3 be withdrawn.

Option 2:

The other option is to write USCIS requesting the 130 petition and 129 K3 applications to be withdrawn and start all over with a brand new 130/485 AOS application. In the end, the officer thought this was the best route.

Overall, the lawyers and even the first USCIS officer were unsure as to how to pursue this, well, the lawyers appeared sure but I don't think they knew exactly the proper way to do this. I am happy I went and did not cancel the INFOPASS appointment.

What do you guys think about Option 2?

Thanks for all your great advice and support.

Overstays do tend to be forgiven upon marriage to a USC. I like option two but withdrawing both petitions seems somewhat cumbersome. I would think allowing both petitions to go through to NOA2 stage would cause your I-130 to be held for AOS anyway. (Option 1 above) I'm not sure the local USCIS offices are aware of this because it doesn't impact them directly. You could then withdraw the I-129F and file for AOS. You really shouldn't have too much trouble getting AOS approved, since the same local USCIS office pretty much recommended the same. I might go back to them with this proposal and see what they think of it. Show them this and see if it changes their mind about option 1.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf

Google Who is Pushbrk?

I think they can enter on a K3 without an approved 130 but they made it clear that for the 485, they needed an approved 130 or a fresh application with the 485. Like you, I thought a NOA1 would have been enough and I asked but he said no.

Even if the 130 is still at USCIS, he seemed concern that it will be a problem down the line when it gets to the consulate, then requested to be forwarded to the local office.

I was wondering where you were! :)

Did they explain why you couldn't use your pending I-130 NOA1 with the I-485? There are a number of people here who entered on a K3 without an approved I-130 that used their pending I-130 with their I-485. I'm just curious as to their reasoning for cancelling the I-130 and starting with a new one.

As for the paperwork at a consular post... your I-130 is still pending, correct? Which means it's still at USCIS. It doesn't even get to the consulate until after approval and after months of processing at the NVC.

Interesting that you said that the local USCIS office might not be aware of that, it seems at times yesterday that the left hand of USCIS does not know what the right hand is doing.

If we allow both petitions to go through to the NOA2 stage, which is what was initially recommended, my fear is she overstays and it's not forgiven at the interview.

Thanks for the link, it states "USCIS will retain approved Forms 130 for retrieval upon the beneficiary's eventual application for adjustment of status, unless the petitioner clearly states on form 130 that the beneficiary will use the consular process." That's where I think the problem is (unless I am not understanding this), I clearly stated on line 22, consular process.

Overstays do tend to be forgiven upon marriage to a USC. I like option two but withdrawing both petitions seems somewhat cumbersome. I would think allowing both petitions to go through to NOA2 stage would cause your I-130 to be held for AOS anyway. (Option 1 above) I'm not sure the local USCIS offices are aware of this because it doesn't impact them directly. You could then withdraw the I-129F and file for AOS. You really shouldn't have too much trouble getting AOS approved, since the same local USCIS office pretty much recommended the same. I might go back to them with this proposal and see what they think of it. Show them this and see if it changes their mind about option 1.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf

On line 22 of the 130, I filled out the part stating:

"If your relative is not eligible for Adjustment of Status, he or she will apply for a visa abroad at the American consular post in:"

I filled in "Montreal, Canada". Was that not the right thing to do on a 130 petition for and then an eventual K3 application?

Or did that notify USCIS that we are going the CR1 route and not entering on a K3 visa and then doing the adjustment of status?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.