cal

Taking the Oath

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Oh my gosh what are the chances of the US going to war with Australia or even Canada for that matter? That's just too funny. Don't feel uncomfortable taking the oath because of that. It's like not wanting to get on a plane because it might crash... Sure it happens, but the chances of it happening are very slim. ^_^

Diana

You never know though, Canadians and Australians are scrappy :lol:

• 1 month later...

The way I see it is according to the US government, I am renouncing my former country. However, my country does not obligate me to give up citizenship when I get citizenship in another country. Therefore, no matter what the US government may think, I will still always be a Canadian citizen as well. It's no different than when I pledged allegiance to the Queen when I was in the military. It's just words. The Queen is no more important than I am.

In conclusion, take the oath and become a US citizen while at the same time keeping your former citizenship.

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

07/21/07 Entered United States on K1 visa

08/18 Married

10/20 Sent AOS package to Chicago; arrived on 10/22

11/21 Biometrics appointment

12/14 EAD card production ordered; AP approved

12/15 AOS transferred to CSC

12/22 AP arrives in mail

12/27 Received EAD in mail

02/15/08 Green Card production ordered

02/25 Received Welcome letter in mail

02/28 Green card arrived in mail. Done with USCIS for now

01/12/10 Sent I-751 to California Service Center; arrived on 1/14/2010

02/09 Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

03/08 Card production ordered

03/10 ROC approval letter arrives

03/15 Ten year Green card arrives

02/17/12 Mailed citizenship application

forget day Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

05/14 Interview and test in Indianapolis, Indiana

05/23 Received oath letter

06/15 Oath ceremony...end of the line.

“The love of one's country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?”

so many good ones here

My two cents:

I was born on this planet as a human in this lifetime.

Hence my allegiance (if I have to have one) is to humanity on Earth.

Actually it is to nature: animals, plants, our one water, our one air, and us of course....we are a part of nature.

How can a person say that they love their country more than any other?

Does this mean they will not care for others?

Sit in the feeling that you were born in another country, and then in yet another country.

Do this until you exhaust your knowledge of countries that you know exist, and then think of all the ones you have yet to learn about.

Think of all the things you don't know. :P

Then feel the expansion.....

Love is a renewable resource!

Give give give and watch it grow grow grow,

Let's not impose limits...there are none.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can make my home anywhere because I am love. (L) (L) (F)(L) (L)

Live in the possibilities.

With loving respect,

Spirit-Alight

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

My husband does.

One of the things that helped him was reading over the oath for the citizenship he already holds and realizing he wouldn't feel comfortable taking that either.

And all immigrants (permanent residents and those here on immigrant visas) are subject to the sane "bear arms" clause (and the other ones about noncombatant duties and work under civilian commands) anyway. It's in the forms you fill out for the visa app or AOS.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

1. I have never made anything to renounce, so most of it is irrelevant.

2. I think it would be in clear breach of the Unfair Contract Terms Act, so certainly not enforcable in UK law.

3. If you still have issues, just keep your fingers crossed when saying it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.