Jahan&Veena

London Medical - Knightsbridge Doctors

2,055 posts in this topic

Perhaps the wording of the letter gave the doctor the wrong impression. "Has no history of self harm, just ideas of it" may of been what put the doctor off about it. Because they see as "having ideas of it" as potential to "cause harm".

That is exactly what I thought when I read it. It wasn't a helpful letter. It raised questions.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have to agree that that language created loose ends that the panel doctor could not leave hanging around. I got a sense the panel doctor did not want to make an issue of it but was forced to when confronted with this loose end.

Hopefully this does not delay them too long. I wonder if the psyche exam is at Knightsbridge or elsewhere. I guess we will hear more tomorrow.

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That is exactly what I thought when I read it. It wasn't a helpful letter. It raised questions.

Thank you for the input all. I should clarify on the letter: the actual wording said that he has a history of depression with some "suicidal ideation," but that he has never attempted self harm or been a harm to others. It explicitly said these things in attempt to leave no loose ends on the issue. She then stated he has been off medication for quite a long time now and has been doing well on exercise and health regimes etc.

I found out from Jake just a little bit ago (after I posted here) that the panel doctor is brand spanking new (he even has braces, he is really young!) he even had to go out and ask another panel doctor the protocol when dealing with the depression question. The other doc said just talk to the psychiatrist. We are hoping his newness won't be what screws us over. He even let Jake write "no" on the new questionnaire for "major depression" because, as jake told him, it wasn't major or hospitalized etc....so the doc said "ok sounds good but I am going to have to talk to the psych guy...."

As to the letter, that was the only one she would write, his GP. She said because in 2012 he reported suicidal thoughts, but never showed signs or history of self harm, she had to write he had had those thoughts but that she could report his prognosis is good etc etc.

I am disappointed and hope for the best. We knew he would need a letter, and hoped the truth would suffice, especially because he had no real harmful behavior associated with the depression....luck may not be with us. I cried when jake said the doctor told him a psych eval will take another trip to London and £308.00. We are using all the savings we have and wedding money to do the immigration. We can't even begin to afford that.....not to mention the delay it will put in the process....but we hope for the best. He went home to edinburgh today too, and I'm stuck in London for 8 more days, so it is sad sad times....will keep you informed though. Thank you all for your help and support.

They are really making depression seem like something one should be ashamed of, though. Jake felt responsible for the delay in our case because of something g he said two years ago....I tried my best to convince him that's bull....mainly through candy and cuddles.

Edited by paddington_bear

2/3/14 I-129F Mailed

6/16/14 Embassy Interview--Approved!!!!

7/11/14 Marriage :)

7/25/14 AOS + Work Authorization Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

7/31/14 NOA1--Electronic Notification

8/26/14 Biometrics Appointment--Indianapolis

9/18/14 EAD approved--Electronic Notification

2/15/15 Notice of Interview Waiver (and Case Delay due to heavy processing load)

5/5/15 RFE (Requested another certified copy of marriage license)

5/14/15 Submitted Materials for RFE

5/28/15 Greencard Approved/In Production!!!!!

My love is selfish. I cannot breathe without you. - Keats

What USCIS-es you only makes you stronger.....

Thank you for the input all. I should clarify on the letter: the actual wording said that he has a history of depression with some "suicidal ideation," but that he has never attempted self harm or been a harm to others. It explicitly said these things in attempt to leave no loose ends on the issue. She then stated he has been off medication for quite a long time now and has been doing well on exercise and health regimes etc.

I found out from Jake just a little bit ago (after I posted here) that the panel doctor is brand spanking new (he even has braces, he is really young!) he even had to go out and ask another panel doctor the protocol when dealing with the depression question. The other doc said just talk to the psychiatrist. We are hoping his newness won't be what screws us over. He even let Jake write "no" on the new questionnaire for "major depression" because, as jake told him, it wasn't major or hospitalized etc....so the doc said "ok sounds good but I am going to have to talk to the psych guy...."

As to the letter, that was the only one she would write, his GP. She said because in 2012 he reported suicidal thoughts, but never showed signs or history of self harm, she had to write he had had those thoughts but that she could report his prognosis is good etc etc.

I am disappointed and hope for the best. We knew he would need a letter, and hoped the truth would suffice, especially because he had no real harmful behavior associated with the depression....luck may not be with us. I cried when jake said the doctor told him a psych eval will take another trip to London and £308.00. We are using all the savings we have and wedding money to do the immigration. We can't even begin to afford that.....not to mention the delay it will put in the process....but we hope for the best. He went home to edinburgh today too, and I'm stuck in London for 8 more days, so it is sad sad times....will keep you informed though. Thank you all for your help and support.

They are really making depression seem like something one should be ashamed of, though. Jake felt responsible for the delay in our case because of something g he said two years ago....I tried my best to convince him that's bull....mainly through candy and cuddles.

Perhaps it would've been better for the doctor to say he had had suicidal ideation in the past but no longer has suicidal ideations. For they focus more on the present than the past and that's not lying either. So is the Psyche exam definite? Or is it still uncertain? Could you possibly get another doctor's letter clarifying things better?

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Timeline

Perhaps it would've been better for the doctor to say he had had suicidal ideation in the past but no longer has suicidal ideations. For they focus more on the present than the past and that's not lying either. So is the Psyche exam definite? Or is it still uncertain? Could you possibly get another doctor's letter clarifying things better?

She said his medication ended in January of this year (as anyone with depression or knowledge of it knows, they keep you on it for 6 months after it is better just to keep you level) and he has not reported "low mood." She said that he has done well with exercise and health regimens, etc. I just don't get it. Yeah suicidal thoughts don't sound great, but she clearly stated he has no history of self harm and she does not think he has "ever been" a threat to others.

Sadly, as I said, it was the only letter she would write, but she felt quite satisfied that it reported he was healthy and safe since he doesn't have a history of unsafe behavior....and so did Jake and I until now.

The visit isn't a guarantee. The panel doc just told jake what would happen if he had to do an eval. He said he would call jake tomorrow, but jake is going to call too before the end of the day if he hasn't heard back. Again, I really was a bit surprised. Suicidal thoughts don't sound great, but from the report that others gave of actual attempted suicide, scarring, etc., (I am sorry it happened by the way :( ) I didn't think Jake's bout with depression would be that hard even with a letter that admitted he had suicidal thoughts two years ago while depressed. but he obviously did nothing about the thoughts except to seek and get treated, and he didn't self harm!...so I'm frustrated. But again, we will wait and see.

£300 is a lot of money. I worry th psych will say Jake needs to come in just to get paid !! That said, does anyone know of someone who has had to do the psych eval? We would like to know more about how it affects the visa process. Even if he is cleared and passes the medical, will his chances of denial for a visa be higher because he had to be evaluated?

2/3/14 I-129F Mailed

2/15/15 Notice of Interview Waiver (and Case Delay due to heavy processing load)

She said his medication ended in January of this year (as anyone with depression or knowledge of it knows, they keep you on it for 6 months after it is better just to keep you level) and he has not reported "low mood." She said that he has done well with exercise and health regimens, etc. I just don't get it. Yeah suicidal thoughts don't sound great, but she clearly stated he has no history of self harm and she does not think he has "ever been" a threat to others.

Sadly, as I said, it was the only letter she would write, but she felt quite satisfied that it reported he was healthy and safe since he doesn't have a history of unsafe behavior....and so did Jake and I until now.

The visit isn't a guarantee. The panel doc just told jake what would happen if he had to do an eval. He said he would call jake tomorrow, but jake is going to call too before the end of the day if he hasn't heard back. Again, I really was a bit surprised. Suicidal thoughts don't sound great, but from the report that others gave of actual attempted suicide, scarring, etc., (I am sorry it happened by the way :( ) I didn't think Jake's bout with depression would be that hard even with a letter that admitted he had suicidal thoughts two years ago while depressed. but he obviously did nothing about the thoughts except to seek and get treated, and he didn't self harm!...so I'm frustrated. But again, we will wait and see.

£300 is a lot of money. I worry th psych will say Jake needs to come in just to get paid !! That said, does anyone know of someone who has had to do the psych eval? We would like to know more about how it affects the visa process. Even if he is cleared and passes the medical, will his chances of denial for a visa be higher because he had to be evaluated?

So did the letter say he had suicidal ideations in the past or still does currently? I'm assuming they were in the past she still should've included a statement saying he no longer has suicidal thoughts.

If he passes the psyche exam then he is claimed Admissable and Safe. The psyche exam isn't a stigma at least I don't think so; it's just to make sure he is not currently a danger to himself or others. If he checks out okay he will be put as a Class B as my fiance is probably going to be a Class B as well even though he got passed right away.

Class A - Current mental health condition with associated harmful behaviours and is dangerous. For example, schizophrenia, and they have a history of being violent towards others and has not been treated. These would be inadmissable and would have to undergo treatment and have a clean bill of health before applying.

Class B - Admissable. No current mental disorders, but has had them in the past. No harmful behaviour. Can even be someone with a current mental disorder but has no associated harmful behaviour.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Timeline

I am so delighted to report that, like so many others on here, the worry was needless. If you are coming to this forum with a history of depression or with a partner that has it, it may cause you a few days panic, but it looks like more often than not, it is all clear in the end.

The panel doctor was, in fact, new, and Jake was told today that there was absolutely no need for a psych referral, that the letter was just fine.

So apparently it was just that the doc had never seen a letter for depression or anything of the like, and that he didn't know what to do with it. Just our luck to get a new doctor, but I am very happy now!

They said the "passed" medical results will be delivered on Thursday to the embassy! Thanks all for being just peaches, and to Hotter Otter especially for the private motion of support <3 YA'LL ARE GREAT.

Side note and rant: to Corvusheart - Yes, the suicidal ideations were ages ago (in 2012), and he merely expressed to his doctor that he was so depressed by his anxiety and stress that he felt like he just "wanted to die" and it would be easier. Again, something I think is absurd to report as suicidal because it's what we *all* say when we're stressed, but he went to seek out help immediately. He was on pills for a year and a half (a year's worth of depression, 6 months of easing off of them)--and has been off them for 5 months now. She really was a stickler about his letter, his GP. Queen of Blades said hers was very kind. Sadly, Jake couldn't go to another doc for a letter because his GP was the only one who treated him. In the end, it didn't seem to matter though--even in the exam itself the doctor said his depression didn't sound very serious, despite the "suicidal thoughts" aspect, and Jake kept saying, "because it wasn't. I had some dark thoughts, and the only thing I did about it was seek help and try to get healthy. Now I am." I am just being protective bear, here, but I am quite upset because this does stigmatize depression. Surely there are better ways to screen people than this? God, in the US we give GUNS to people without this much fuss, but to get married apparently having some dark thoughts, pills and swimming therapy makes you a serious threat? It's upsetting. I hope anyone on here who has gone through or is suffering from depression doesn't internalize this process too much. I am off to buy my dearest love a nice little present in London--because I am sorry he had to go through the medical for me. I wish I could have taken his place!

2/3/14 I-129F Mailed

I know what you mean the doctor my fiancé got really looked down on him for his past history of depression and self harm and even gave him the impression he wouldn't pass but he did end up passing. And his depression and self harm was over 10 years ago. Most people these days have or have had depression. I hate how people make such a fuss about it.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I am so delighted to report that, like so many others on here, the worry was needless. If you are coming to this forum with a history of depression or with a partner that has it, it may cause you a few days panic, but it looks like more often than not, it is all clear in the end.

I am just being protective bear, here, but I am quite upset because this does stigmatize depression. Surely there are better ways to screen people than this? God, in the US we give GUNS to people without this much fuss, but to get married apparently having some dark thoughts, pills and swimming therapy makes you a serious threat? It's upsetting. I hope anyone on here who has gone through or is suffering from depression doesn't internalize this process too much. I am off to buy my dearest love a nice little present in London--because I am sorry he had to go through the medical for me. I wish I could have taken his place!

It's great that it's all okay now, hopefully the new Doctor won't do the same thing again!

You are right about the system stigmatizing depression, it's bad enough dealing with peoples outdated attitudes towards it "oh just cheer up!" without having to prove that you are not a threat to yourself or others because of it. It's very frustrating and hopefully it will change because anecdotally it is becoming more and more common.

On the topic of buying your fiancé a gift... I got home from the interview to find my wife had ordered me this to say thank you for doing the medical and interview :o

1001966_10100277008461854_54284367973811

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Timeline

It's great that it's all okay now, hopefully the new Doctor won't do the same thing again!

You are right about the system stigmatizing depression, it's bad enough dealing with peoples outdated attitudes towards it "oh just cheer up!" without having to prove that you are not a threat to yourself or others because of it. It's very frustrating and hopefully it will change because anecdotally it is becoming more and more common.

On the topic of buying your fiancé a gift... I got home from the interview to find my wife had ordered me this to say thank you for doing the medical and interview :o

1001966_10100277008461854_54284367973811

ARE THOSE GIANT CHOCOLATE BUTTONS I SEE TUCKED IN THE SIDE??

I downed half a bag of those at lunch while at Euston Station today. No shame. Congratulations on passing your interview! :) and that is so sweet of your lovely partner!!! I am currently arranging for my future hubby to have a pizza awaiting him at his house, though I'll also buy him something dorky at a comic shop here!

2/3/14 I-129F Mailed

I'm the kind of person that doesn't like to get their hopes up any kind of celebration won't come until we have our approval. I'm still cynical about it my mind likes to say 'it can't be this easy'. I'm half expecting to go into AP but I hope not.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

ARE THOSE GIANT CHOCOLATE BUTTONS I SEE TUCKED IN THE SIDE??

I downed half a bag of those at lunch while at Euston Station today. No shame. Congratulations on passing your interview! :) and that is so sweet of your lovely partner!!! I am currently arranging for my future hubby to have a pizza awaiting him at his house, though I'll also buy him something dorky at a comic shop here!

Those are Wispa Bites, there could be buttons in there I have yet to even open the blue box as I'll eat everything at once lol.

There should never be shame with eating loads of buttons :P

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

I can't wait to confront the new doctor with my amazing solidifying blood :)

Come to think of it... the locum at my GP surgery had no idea what DVT even was when I went to ask about injections for my flights, so I hold out high hopes for the newbie :D

Edited by Ketsuban

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I went for my medical last Friday. I had a really positive experience and wanted to share it.

Everyone there was friendly and kind, and really efficient.

I'd had a tetanus jab at my docs on the Tuesday, thinking I'd be all good. But, because I hadn't had the MMR, I had to have that, which was £40. I didn't want to delay anything so I paid and had it there. A much nicer experience than the tetanus, which still aches a bit now!

Then I had the chest x ray which was fascinating. I'd never had one before and the technician was kind enough to talk me through it and tell me what everything was.

Then the bit with the doctor. He was friendly and conversational, put me at ease right away about tobacco smoking, which I said yes to on my form and was worried about. He did everything quickly. He touched my stomach, which tickled! The blood test was fine.

After we left, I realised he said he was going to check my sight and never did. So we went back, and another doctor checked that for me- 90 seconds!

Afterwards, we had lunch at MeatLiquor which is at the back of Debenhams. Seriously, treat yourself after your medical, it's delicious!

It's now Wednesday, so I know my results are fine as they haven't contacted me.

Here we go!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.