Jahan&Veena

London Medical - Knightsbridge Doctors

2,055 posts in this topic

Just thought i would add my experience of the medical i had today.

Had appointment at Bentinck mansions. Fairly easy to find from Bond Street station. Had to ask someone but he guided me in right direction which was easier!

I found the receptionist to be very rude the way she spoke to me, maybe she was having a bad day lol although there were a couple of them that spoke quite rudely.

Well anyway got took into one room with a man for the chest xray, he pulled a curtain between us and told me to undress from waist up and put a gown on. Took the xray and then told me to go wait in another waiting room (still in the gown)

got called in my a lady doctor (thank God!!) no conversaton watsoever, quite uncomfortable! but here is wat she did....

height and weight check, stand behind a line and read out the 2nd line of eye chart (with my contacts in!) then lie on the bed. flashed light in eyes, looked in throat for split second, felt around my neck, then listen to heart and breathing in and out, then a breast check prodding around, split second feel of stomach, peek in underwear (just to make it even more uncomfortable!!) blood pressure, took a sample of blood.

I asked at the end so does eevrything look ok - since she did everything in silence and did nt say if anything was ok - she said depending on your xray and blood results it looks ok.

I had to get 3 vaccines, HPV (i am 26 and still have to have) and 2 more - which the nice nurse suggested i could get at my GP for free as they are childhood vaccines, then fax them confirmation from my GP and shouldnt take too much longer. Called my doc and have an appointment there tomorrow, MMR and diptheria, tetanuc poli whatever its called.....great......but at least i dont have to pay.

All in all i cant believe they get paid so much for doing very little!!! was very fob off-ish not a real medical, just really to say they have done it.

Sent I-130 - 15 Aug 2008

I-130 NOA1 - 26 Aug 2008

Sent I-129f - 29 Aug 2008

I-129f NOA1 - 3 Sept 2008

Last Updated 4 Sept 2008

Sent letter to congress 9 March 2009 - no response

Spoke to CSC - "background checks" - 9 April 2009

APPROVAL NOTICE i-130 & i-129f - Received 21 April 2009

Got NVC Case no - 30 April 09

DS3032 generated - 1 May 09

Emailed DS3032 - 5 May 09

AOS fee paid online - 8 May 09

Sent AOS package - 13 May 09

Received IV email - 18 May 09

IV fee paid online - 10 June 09 (delay as was considering K3 at this point but the K3 interview was July 15th, so decided CR1 better and only 1 month longer!)

IV package sent - 17 June 09

CASE COMPLETE - 1 July 09

Interview date recieved via email - 9 July 09

Medical - 11 August 09

Interview 14 August 09

Hi All

Just wanted to add my experience of the medical I had yesterday.....

Arrrived into London at 7.00 a.m. and made my way to Bentinck Mansions (my appointment was at 8:50 a.m., but grabbed a coffee at the Starbucks on Bond Street before heading over for my appointment at 8.30 a.m.)

I was a wee bit concerned about getting there too early, but there was a woman who arrived shortly after me who's appointment wasn't until 10.30 a.m. and they seemed happy enough to see her.

Went to the first window where the receptionist (who was very friendly) took my passport, photos, questionnaire and vaccination records.

I then sat in the main waiting room for a couple of minutes. I was then asked to fill in another questionnaire. This questionnaire is the official Department Of State medical questionnaire. I was asked to fill in the first page (the doctor fills in the second page during the medical). I was also asked to sign the HIV consent form. Handed the forms back to the receptionist and chatted to a couple of the other people waiting.

About 10-15 minutes later, a gentleman called my name and took me for my chest x-ray. This was done quite quickly, and i was asked to sit in the waiting room again until I was called for my examination.

Another 10 minutes passed. The blonde woman who I had seen walking around reception area for the last while (who I assumed was a receptionist) then called me to the examination room, and it turned out she was the doctor (she was foreign - possibly Eastern European).

She asked me to remove my shoes and was weighed and had height measured. Then had eyes tested (was asked to read the second bottom line with each eye - my contact lenses weren't even mentioned and no questions were asked about my eyesight beyond the rudimentary check).

She then shone a light in my eyes and mouth (for literally a second each) and asked me to strip to my underwear and lie on the couch.

Listened to my chest with her stethoscope and then checked glands in neck and pressed on stomach. This took a couple of seconds and she then asked me to cough and took a cursory glance in my underwear.

Next was the blood test, which wasn't too bad, but did leave a bit of a bruise. Asked to put clothes back on, and that was it.

Was asked to go and sit in the waiting room again and was then called to make payment. The girl at reception explained that they were happy with everything and I would only hear from them if they had any queries concerning the x-ray or blood test. Paid the fee and was free to go.

In all, it took me about 45 minutes and wasn't very intrusive at all.

Hope this allays anyone's fears about the medical.

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by BrookNTwon

04/17/04 - Married in Evansville, IN (Brook subsequently moved to the U.K.)

05/09/09 - Submitted I-130 to London

05/13/09 - Received notification that I-130 was filed on 05/11/09

06/02/09 - Received approval of I-130

06/11/09 - Received packet 3 from Immigrant Visa Branch.

06/13/09 - Submitted DS-230 and DS-2001 to the Embassy.

07/15/09 - Called Extortion Line and was advised that the Embassy had accepted my appication and would be contacting me re. appointment.

08/12/09 - Medical

08/28/09 - Embassy interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

These sound very like the experience I had at my medical at Bentinck Mansions last week.

I think I must have had the same doctor as you, BrookNTwon - a blonde physician, who was not very chatty! I was quite anxious beforehand, however, I found the medical to be quite painless in terms of embarrassment & actual physical pain (just taking the blood sample lol). The radiographer was a jolly sort of guy who was very warm and friendly, which helped. My whole medical took around 45 minutes also. All in all, I'd say anyone who is anxious at all about the medical shouldn't be. It is really not invasive at all.

I also did the eye test with my contacts in (she only asked if I wore them when I was halfway through the first line) :hehe:

I'm a bit confused (disappointed?!) though that I didn't get a copy of my x-ray to take home with me, as someone has mentioned before on this thread. Perhaps they have stopped doing this?

Filed I129F: 18th February 2009

NOA 1: 24th February 2009

NOA 2: 10th July 2009

Received Packet 3: 28th July 2009

Packet 3 sent to London embassy: 5th August 2009

Medical: 7th August 2009

K1 Interview: September 2009

Visa received: September 2009

Moved to USA: 19th October 2009

Married: 23rd October 2009

Green Card received: March 2010

These sound very like the experience I had at my medical at Bentinck Mansions last week.

I think I must have had the same doctor as you, BrookNTwon - a blonde physician, who was not very chatty! I was quite anxious beforehand, however, I found the medical to be quite painless in terms of embarrassment & actual physical pain (just taking the blood sample lol). The radiographer was a jolly sort of guy who was very warm and friendly, which helped. My whole medical took around 45 minutes also. All in all, I'd say anyone who is anxious at all about the medical shouldn't be. It is really not invasive at all.

I also did the eye test with my contacts in (she only asked if I wore them when I was halfway through the first line) :hehe:

I'm a bit confused (disappointed?!) though that I didn't get a copy of my x-ray to take home with me, as someone has mentioned before on this thread. Perhaps they have stopped doing this?

You will get a copy of the x-ray given to you on the day of your interview by the CO at the US Embassy in London.

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Oh, excellent! Thanks for letting me know that.

Filed I129F: 18th February 2009

NOA 1: 24th February 2009

NOA 2: 10th July 2009

Received Packet 3: 28th July 2009

Packet 3 sent to London embassy: 5th August 2009

Medical: 7th August 2009

K1 Interview: September 2009

Visa received: September 2009

Moved to USA: 19th October 2009

Married: 23rd October 2009

Green Card received: March 2010

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hiya

I have been trying for several days now to book an appointment for my medical examination in knightbridge but I have not successful at all. Every time I ring the line is busy. I now wonder if this now works 0207 584 9458

I am now considering going to the kightbridge Doctors myself to make the appointment

has anyone faced lately the same issue

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this is been answered before, but there are a lot of pages to search through!

Is it possible to, before the medical, go to your regular doctor and update all vaccines? Meaning the ones according to the requirements for ages... They're very expensive and it seems much easier to just update your vaccination records before bringing them to the actual medical.

Thanks for any help! I mean it seems like a great idea, but I'm betting there's a reason people are paying for them at the medical :(

Sorry if this is been answered before, but there are a lot of pages to search through!

Is it possible to, before the medical, go to your regular doctor and update all vaccines? Meaning the ones according to the requirements for ages... They're very expensive and it seems much easier to just update your vaccination records before bringing them to the actual medical.

Thanks for any help! I mean it seems like a great idea, but I'm betting there's a reason people are paying for them at the medical :(

I had all mine done for free at my doctors, all they did was give me the confirmation of the injections and the batch numbers on a piece of paper and put the practice stamp on it, take that to the medical and they will transcribe it onto the official form for you, also if you have had chicken pox get that confirmed in writing as you can then get a waiver for that

I had all mine done for free at my doctors, all they did was give me the confirmation of the injections and the batch numbers on a piece of paper and put the practice stamp on it, take that to the medical and they will transcribe it onto the official form for you, also if you have had chicken pox get that confirmed in writing as you can then get a waiver for that

Perfect :D I was really hoping this was a great way to avoid paying another £100. Thanks for the advice!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What did you actually say to the Dr when you asked to get them done there? Did you say it was for immigration?

Our Timeline:

4.2006 Met online.

3.26.2008 Became official.

5.14-7.2.2008 Ash's visits Texas. First time we met :D <3<3<3

8.6-28.2008 Haley's first visit to England!

8.13.2008 Meeting with immigration lawyer in London.

11.12-12.2-2008 Ash's visits Texas for Thanksgiving (12.1 Ash proposes!)

12.26.2008-1.13.2009 Haley visits England again, Ash comes back to Texas, too.

1.28.2009 Ash goes back to England :(

2.9.2009 We started I-129F forms!!

2.23.2009 Mailed I-129F =)

2.25.2009 I-129 arrived at VSC

2.26.2009 NOA1

3.2.2009 Check cashed!

3.3.2009 Touched

5.14.2009 Ash visits Texas

6.23.2009 Ash goes back to England, hoping for an NOA2 soon!!

7.15.2009 NOA2 EMAIL!!

7.20.2009 NVC received petition

7.20.2009 Petition sent to London (wow, same day!)

7.21.2009 NOA2 hardcopy received

7.27.2009 Embassy received petition

7.30.2009 Ash got packet 3 :)

8.5.2009-8.24.2009 Haley visits England a third time.

8.27.2009 Packet 3 sent!

9.19.2009 Packet 4 received!!

10.15.2009 Ash's medical

10.20.2009 Haley arrives in England :3

10.22.2009 Interview - Approved! :D

10.30.2009 Visa received

11.16.2009 Ash arrives in Texas!

01.08.2010 Married!

What did you actually say to the Dr when you asked to get them done there? Did you say it was for immigration?

It is interesting that you bring this point up, because if you do say it is for immigration, 9 times out of 10 they will charge a small fee for each vaccine, but if you don't mention its for immigration, all the vaccines are free of charge. (This is the experience of my fiance as well as a few others here on VJ-UK section)

Timeline

How do you think I should word what I say. I am currently replying to your answer in my other thread, so I am guessing I should say it is for immigration. Any idea what they charge there?

Our Timeline:

4.2006 Met online.

2.26.2009 NOA1

3.2.2009 Check cashed!

3.3.2009 Touched

7.15.2009 NOA2 EMAIL!!

8.27.2009 Packet 3 sent!

10.15.2009 Ash's medical

10.30.2009 Visa received

01.08.2010 Married!

How do you think I should word what I say. I am currently replying to your answer in my other thread, so I am guessing I should say it is for immigration. Any idea what they charge there?

My fiance was quoted 7 GBP for the MMR, and I think 5 GBP for the Tdap. Nothing too extravagant, so don't worry too much! I don't think it matters what you say, for immigration or not, you can say you want to update your vaccination records, and you won't be charged anything.

Timeline

I guess ill just have to admit to immigration because ill also have to talk to my GP about my idiopathic atrial flutter. Maybe she will be nice :D.

Thanks MARM, that answer my vaccine question!

Our Timeline:

4.2006 Met online.

2.26.2009 NOA1

3.2.2009 Check cashed!

3.3.2009 Touched

7.15.2009 NOA2 EMAIL!!

8.27.2009 Packet 3 sent!

10.15.2009 Ash's medical

10.30.2009 Visa received

01.08.2010 Married!

I guess ill just have to admit to immigration because ill also have to talk to my GP about my idiopathic atrial flutter. Maybe she will be nice :D.

Thanks MARM, that answer my vaccine question!

Good luck with the GP and post back on how you sorted everything out!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.