Cranberry_anon

Interview: binders, yay or nay?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I'm a bit of a neat freak when it comes to documents. I get it from working in offices, always hate to see documents not in a file/folder/etc. The USCIS advises not to use a binder for application submissions but funny enough I don't think it says anything about not bringing a binder to the interview. Is it alright to organise documents for the interview in a binder or do they prefer it loose/envelope/etc? I don't want to look or feel messy

1 minute ago, Cranberry_anon said:

I'm a bit of a neat freak when it comes to documents. I get it from working in offices, always hate to see documents not in a file/folder/etc. The USCIS advises not to use a binder for application submissions but funny enough I don't think it says anything about not bringing a binder to the interview. Is it alright to organise documents for the interview in a binder or do they prefer it loose/envelope/etc? I don't want to look or feel messy

Up to you. They'll only ask you for specific documents, so whatever will help you find them quickest amongst the rest of the docs.

I had mine in clear plastic folders (one for each of us - 4 applicants), in a specific order so if they asked for all of our police certs (for example) I could get to them fairly quickly. 

I wouldn't do binders as you have to hand in the documents as they ask for them - through a slot that most certainly does not fit a binder. Keep it loose leaf but organized (paper clips?) so you can give them what they ask for. Perhaps a small photo album (soft covers) would fit through the slot. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

10 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Instead of a binder I would recommend an accordion file, it has many pockets and tabs for labeling. 

I had used binders with protective plastic sheet covers, but if I had to do it over again I would use this according file folder as well

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm using an accordion file. I've used sticky tab / page markers to categories what each section of the accordion file is for so I know where each doc is.

I-129F Journey! ❤️

Package sent: 02 March 2024

NOA1 Received: 04 March 2024

NOA2 Approval: 23 August 2024

Physical NOA2 Received: 04 September 2024

Sent to State: 07 October 2024

NVC Received Case: 16 October 2024

NVC Case Created:

Case In Transit:

Case Ready:

Medical:

Interview:

Visa in Hand:

Flight:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Jaycel used an accordion file folder and labeled the tabs with things like: Civil Docs, DS-160 Confirmation Extras, I-134 Docs, Petitioner Docs, I-129F Copy, Proof of Relationship, etc. She said it worked perfectly as she was able to grab the documents they needed quickly and didn't have to fumble around looking for them.

Edited by Edward and Jaycel

K1 Visa
EventDate

Service Center :California Service Center

Transferred?No

Consulate :Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent :2023-09-16

I-129F NOA1 :2023-09-20

I-129F RFE(s) :2024-05-20

RFE Reply(s) :2024-06-01

I-129F NOA2 :2024-06-11

NVC Received :2024-06-18

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned :2024-07-01

NVC Left :2024-07-16

Consulate Received :2024-07-18

Packet 3 Received :2024-07-28

Packet 3 Sent :2024-07-28

Interview Date :2024-08-13 icon13.gif Submit Review

Interview Result : Approved!!

Visa Received : 2024-08-20

US Entry : 2024-08-30

Marriage : 2024-10-25

Comments :

Processing Estimates/Stats :Your I-129f was approved in 265 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 328 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Accordion file for the win! You don't want to use a binder, it will be a hassle. They ask for documents quickly and you want to hand them quickly. Good Luck!

I used an accordion file but in honesty I wouldn't recommend it. 

I used coloured sticky notes on each compartment to separate my birth certificate, interview letter, marriage certificate, police ACRO, you name it. I was very organised! But in the end, the lady at the window asked for pretty much everything all at once. So this meant I was fumbling around to pull out each and every bit of paper from each compartment, then fumbling again to put everything back in its rightful place. Your mileage may vary.

I noticed almost everyone in line had clear polypockets which, in hindsight, is much easier. It's quicker to take out all the papers at once and hand them over, or rifle through them in hand rather than try and pick out sheets from each compartment. The accordion file did protect my documents from the elements however, which is a must for the London Embassy at least.

Whichever you choose, good luck!

:us_outlying_islands:    qVrwoIS.gif    :us_outlying_islands:

We used Binders. Officer took the Binder reviewed the contents and took copies of the documents he wanted. If you do the Binder make sure there is a copy of each document. Officer thanked me for being so organized and making it easy. Having a binder made it easy for me to review and see that I had everything I needed. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Loose papers in a regular folder organizer. They often want to scan documents, so having them in a binder will just take longer to bring things out, no need for that. I used a regular organizer with a small label on each section so I could easily find the documents asked for. The IO ended up scanning a few into their system. I had brought paper copies of everything but she preferred to scan, didn't want any copies. 

folder.jpg

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

i am a neat freak as well, and when it came time for my spouse K-1 interview, I prepared all the evidence in clear plastic folders and sent it via Fedex at a cost of over $300.00 for the package.  Once at the interview they asked for only 3 sheets of what he brought.  The next time for the US Embassy interview, for the spousal visa, whatever I needed to send from the US I just sent via an email, including pictures, which were printed in his country.  Total cost of printing $10.00.  All the documentation was in one single envelope and once again of all he brought they only took and reviewed 3 pieces and the rest they never looked at it.  My comments that if you want to do binders for your own piece of mind, go ahead but once at the Embassy they will ask and take only what they want to see.

23 hours ago, Cranberry_anon said:

original = put in the accordion with tab title

copy (to hand out to officer) = loose leaf paper with tab on the right hand side. clip with 1 jumbo paper.

when officer asked "is there any additional documents that u want to submit?". i handed out the whole stack of "copy" to her approx 500 pages ( before people comment it's overkill, its not in my case, so dont assume its overkill) and i tell her "pick whatever u need, u can see the tabs so u can just pull it out to make it easier". she keep flipping the pages made me super nervous. she asked my husband "who prep this?", my husband just nod his head toward me and said "she's the one with OCD" LOL. the officer said to me "nicely done!". in the end, when i asked, so is there anything that u want to hand out back to me? she said "i will take it all". 

so to answer ur question : whichever method is game on, just make sure u dont fumble around, keep flipping because u cant remember where did u put the document. u can do whatever u want with 1 thing in mind : DO IT FAST AND PRECISE.

good luck

Edited by Verrou

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Verrou said:

i handed out the whole stack of "copy" to her approx 500 pages ( before people comment it's overkill, its not in my case) and i tell her "pick whatever u need, u can see the tabs so u can just pull it out to make it easier". she keep flipping the pages made me super nervous. she asked my husband "who prep this?", my husband just nod his head toward me and said "she's the one with OCD" 

We honest to god could be twins. This sounds so much like me. 

One question: what filled up a majority of 500 pages? I'm also going a tiny bit overkill but in my case it's proof of relationship evidence.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.