CelloLover

Filing I-175 but moving states

7 posts in this topic

My wife came to the US via K1 Visa. We got married, moved to California, filed the I-485 from California, and received the Conditional Green Card.

Her Conditional Green Card will expire in March of 2025, which means she should submit an I-751 in December 2024 (few months from now).

The complexity is this: we will be moving to Washington state next week.

Besides submitting an I-751 from Washington state, what else should we do to make sure there are no complications? I'm guessing at the minimum, she should also log into USCIS and submit a change of address request?

She needs to file AR-11 online within 10 days of moving.

You, as a sponsor, need to file I-865 within 30 days of moving by mail (not available online).

File I-751 from Washington.

There should be no issues with it.

Make sure to update addresses on your bank accounts, DLs, other documents promptly after moving. You can also set up USPS forwarding. The biggest implication would be filing taxes next year, as you'll have to file two state taxes.

10 minutes ago, OldUser said:

You, as a sponsor, need to file I-865 within 30 days of moving by mail (not available online).

Make sure to update addresses on your bank accounts, DLs, other documents promptly after moving. You can also set up USPS forwarding. The biggest implication would be filing taxes next year, as you'll have to file two state taxes.

Thank you! 

We might be moving into temporary housing (in Washington state) while we look for long-term housing (in Washington State). Temporary housing can be up to 45 days. Should we file the AR-11 and I-865 using address of temporary housing? Should I also register my car and apply for new car insurance using the address of temporary housing and then later change the address when we get the long-term housing?

30 minutes ago, CelloLover said:

Thank you! 

We might be moving into temporary housing (in Washington state) while we look for long-term housing (in Washington State). Temporary housing can be up to 45 days. Should we file the AR-11 and I-865 using address of temporary housing? Should I also register my car and apply for new car insurance using the address of temporary housing and then later change the address when we get the long-term housing?

If you don't have a lease at the old place by the time you move to temporary place, you should file AR-11 and I-865 noting your temporary place address. Then another AR-11 and I-865 when you move again.

The online portion only takes 2 minutes to file, so no issue there.

There can be a problem if you use either current or temporary address on I-751. USCIS sometimes ignores any address changes and sends correspondence including GC to old address. Mail forwarding generally doesn't work for GC and other docs sent by USCIS.

So, the best course of action is to file I-751 using new long term address if your wife is still going to be within 90 days window of filing at that point.

So if you're moving in to permanent address before deadline in March, just file I-751 from that place.

It's better to file from stable address VS rush and file from old or temporary one.

Considering I-751 takes 2+ years on average, a month or two later or earlier won't make any significant difference to processing time, but will ensure GC is safe and will arrive at the right address.

VJ has many stories of one's I-751 getting derailed because of moving in the process. People don't receive RFEs, NOIDs, interview letters because of moving.

Edited by OldUser

2 hours ago, OldUser said:

Washington state does not have a state income tax.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.