KaitlynEliz4

K1 visa approved, Can still travel to US?

10 posts in this topic

So my fiancé and I applied for a k1 before we knew that he wouldn’t be able to go back to France immediately after marrying. Long story short, it was approved September 19, we have decided to withdraw it but the NVC doesn’t have it yet so my question is.. will he be able to come to the US still just to visit since he hasn’t actually had an interview or anything further to get the k1 in hand? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

K1 means you are not married.

He is not eligible for a K1.

He can certainly attempt to seek entry on the VWP.

Have you filed an I 130?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

9 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Have you filed an I 130?

10 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Have you filed an I 130?

We are not married, just engaged! 

Timeline

Ahh, it was the way you worded it.

Even if you decide to go through with the K1 it would not be an issue, many of us travelled during the process.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Not allowing pre-check in with a K1 is common, so that is likely the reason.

Are you aware that as soon as he enters the US with the K1, that your 90 day clock will start counting down?

From what I understand, if he is on VWP or a tourist visa and now has a K1 in addition, that the K1 cancels out the tourist visa. Although K1 is technically nonimmigrant, it shows very clear immigrant intent, where-as tourist is strictly for nonimmigrant intent. It is not as if he can choose which to enter on at POE, as they say opposite things.

Edit: Wait, after reading again I think you are trying to say that your I-129F was approved back in September but you are now deciding to withdraw it? If so, then it's unlikely that's the reason for not allowing pre-check in. Especially if the NVC hasn't even received your approved petition (as you seem to say).

Edited by smilingstone

💌I-129F Filed: 2024-04-03 

⚠️NOA1: 2024-04-17

RFE: 2024-06-05

⚠️NOA2: 2024-08-02

📤USCIS to NVC: 2024-08-28

📤NVC to Embassy: 2024-09-24

📥Embassy Received: 2024-09-30

⚕️Medical:

📋K1 Interview:

🪪K1 Visa Received: 

🛬POE:

💒Married:

Timeline

I could not check in online when I travelled with my K. It could be a variety of reasons, I do not think there is an answer.

Please let us know what the issue is.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you don't have the k1 then it would be unlikely to be the reason he can't pre check.

Not being able to check in online is extremely common.

I'm flying to the US tomorrow and it was displaying on my account that I couldn't pre check (that I had to go to check in kiosk at the airport to have my travel documents verified by a worker), however upon opening the airline page on my computer, it let me check in no issue. ( I have a k1 pending and we are at NVC stage and I have travelled before whilst waiting for noa2 and had no issues ) 

But I did have a friend who every single trip to the US, it doesn't let her check in online / pre check. She has to go to the check in counter every time. It could be a variety of things; even down to multiple people having experiences that their name could be one similar to one on a no fly list and therefore they need to see the passport and travel document to verify who they are. It could be a variety of reasons. 

If you haven't interviewed for the k1, and the k1 hasn't been issued at all, then it's probably not a likely cause of this. 

Edited by apnzz

I-129F Journey! ❤️

Package sent: 02 March 2024

NOA1 Received: 04 March 2024

NOA2 Approval: 23 August 2024

Physical NOA2 Received: 04 September 2024

Sent to State: 07 October 2024

NVC Received Case: 16 October 2024

NVC Case Created:

Case In Transit:

Case Ready:

Medical:

Interview:

Visa in Hand:

Flight:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Sounds like the petition was approved but the interview hasn't even happened yet so there is not yet a K-1 visa. He can continue to visit using ESTA or tourist visa. Once the K-1 is issued then the next entry will use the visa. If need be you can delay the interview for a while to let him wrap up whatever it is in his country he needs to take care of. 

7 hours ago, KaitlynEliz4 said:

So my fiancé and I applied for a k1 before we knew that he wouldn’t be able to go back to France immediately after marrying. Long story short, it was approved September 19, we have decided to withdraw it but the NVC doesn’t have it yet so my question is.. will he be able to come to the US still just to visit since he hasn’t actually had an interview or anything further to get the k1 in hand? 

So you had no idea about the adjustment of status part of the K-1?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.