yetanotherfaery

Elopement in The Bahamas/Caribbean

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

What country issued his passport.  You must understand that if he cannot get a visa to visit the USA, then he cannot take a connecting flight to the Bahamas, that lands in the USA first either.  I expect there ARE flights to the Bahamas that go through other countries first, but you need to be aware of that in your planning.  What country he's from makes a big difference on how much evidence of relationship you'll need to be successful.  Generally, a single meeting and getting married on the same meeting, can be a big red flag.  How long would you be together in person?  Everything matters.  You asked about waiving meeting in person at all.  That won't work, but the king of relationship evidence or the devil that kills things, is in how much time you spend together in person.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

23 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

What country issued his passport.  You must understand that if he cannot get a visa to visit the USA, then he cannot take a connecting flight to the Bahamas, that lands in the USA first either.  I expect there ARE flights to the Bahamas that go through other countries first, but you need to be aware of that in your planning.  What country he's from makes a big difference on how much evidence of relationship you'll need to be successful.  Generally, a single meeting and getting married on the same meeting, can be a big red flag.  How long would you be together in person?  Everything matters.  You asked about waiving meeting in person at all.  That won't work, but the king of relationship evidence or the devil that kills things, is in how much time you spend together in person.

Turkey. He wouldn't be able to do a layover in the US, what about other countries? Surely there has to be a way for him to fly there from Turkey without getting visas in other countries?

Edited by yetanotherfaery

4 minutes ago, yetanotherfaery said:

Turkey. He wouldn't be able to do a layover in the US, what about other countries? Surely there has to be a way for him to fly there from Turkey without getting visas in other countries?

Just to confirm, you're planning on a few visits together before one to get married?

He can fly from other places, there are direct flights to the Caribbean from the UK or various European countries. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, yetanotherfaery said:

There may be a way, but there does not have to be.  First Google the countries a Turkish Citizen can travel to without a visa, then use a travel website to search for tickets to Bahamas that pass through one of those countries.  Bahamas is so close to the USA, that most trans Atlantic flights will arrive in the USA.  Maybe through South America.  

Start here.  https://visaguide.world/visa-free-countries/turkish-passport/

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

12 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

There may be a way, but there does not have to be.  First Google the countries a Turkish Citizen can travel to without a visa, then use a travel website to search for tickets to Bahamas that pass through one of those countries.  Bahamas is so close to the USA, that most trans Atlantic flights will arrive in the USA.  Maybe through South America.  

Thank you. Can you recommend a website for searching flights and being able to select which country to layover in? It seems like most of them auto-select for me.

18 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

I did some research and found Canada as an option to connect through, but it says he would need a transit visa. Do you know if those are typically difficult to obtain?

Timeline
1 minute ago, yetanotherfaery said:

I did some research and found Canada as an option to connect through, but it says he would need a transit visa. Do you know if those are typically difficult to obtain?

Yes, just about as difficult as the USA.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, yetanotherfaery said:

I don't know one that allows selecting the connections as part of the search.  Typically the options are listed by price, so scroll down.  Another option is two tickets.  Find a ticket to the transit country after finding a ticket from that country to Bahamas.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

@pushbrk Forgive me but I'm not familiar with the difficulty for a transit visa in the US, either. I also checked and UK is an option, it states another transit visa might be required. 

Thank you, I'll try that method of doing separate flights.

Edited by yetanotherfaery

16 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Yes, just about as difficult as the USA.

Did some more research and it seems like the US transit visa is equally of a headache as Canada, UK, etc. So, it'd be easiest to apply for that one. Are these typically difficult to get or something? You'd think that merely passing through is normal operations. 

2 hours ago, pushbrk said:

I don't know one that allows selecting the connections as part of the search.  Typically the options are listed by price, so scroll down.  Another option is two tickets.  Find a ticket to the transit country after finding a ticket from that country to Bahamas.

I was able to find Istanbul -> Panama nonstop and then Panama -> Nassau nonstop! Thank you so much for your help.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, yetanotherfaery said:

I was able to find Istanbul -> Panama nonstop and then Panama -> Nassau nonstop! Thank you so much for your help.

So you've solved the easy part, travel arrangements.  You seem to be focused on minimum requirements, to start the process.  Now is the time to do your homework on red flags and what constitutes enough relationship evidence to have chance of actually being together in the USA.  Start by understanding no officials care on little bit how difficult this might be for you to do the one thing that makes the difference.  (To spend significant time together in person)

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

https://www.flightsfrom.com/IST

This seems fairly comprehensive.

I have been to Turkey a few times and would recommend it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.