yetanotherfaery

K1 two year meeting requirement waiver?

23 posts in this topic

I know that this waiver is hard to get and we're nothing special, but I am in a social hardship predicament (I'm the US citizen) that makes meeting him physically very difficult. 

Long story short: I have sole physical custody of my two young small children. Their biological dad is not in the picture at all. It would create extreme hardship on them to get them on a plane going across the world to meet him. I have known him online for a decade and we fell in love. We want to be together and create a future. We are assuming the tourist visa would be denied outright as we have romantic intentions beyond visiting as friend/family. We are friends first of course, but the wait time for an interview is almost 2 years in his country (Turkey) to even be considered as a yes/no for the tourist visa. 

Would my situation being the sole physical custody parent of my 2 young children be considered extreme hardship for our meeting? 

Edited by yetanotherfaery

16 minutes ago, MalloryCat said:

your other option would be to go the spousal visa route.

this does still require an in person meeting, but only after getting married, which can be done online through Utah Online Marriage. the spousal visa has far more advantages than the K-1 visa. the foreign spouse will be a LPR upon arrival to the US and can work immediately. which isn't the case with the K-1 visa where they have apply for adjustment of status and work authorization. which is more costly and can take 6-12 months to receive. 

I didn't know getting married online was an option. Is the in-person meeting a requirement for applying for the CR1 spousal visa? Is there a potential waiver for that requirement that might be considered? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
5 minutes ago, yetanotherfaery said:

I didn't know getting married online was an option. Is the in-person meeting a requirement for applying for the CR1 spousal visa ? Is there a potential waiver for that requirement that might be considered? 

yes the in person meeting is a requirement for the spousal visa. USCIS needs to see the marriage has been "consummated", literally just meaning being together in person either during the wedding ceremony or by visiting after getting married.

from my understanding a waiver for the spousal visa is even more rare and hard to obtain. and you're reasoning still would be unlikely to be approved

Edited by MalloryCat

I-129f/K-1 Visa

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024 APPROVED!

Visa Issued: 07-11-2024

Visa Received: 7-15-2024

Date of Entry: 11-5-2024

Married: 12-18-2024

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Why can't he come and visit you instead? Unless you have tried a tourist visa and been denied, that is a viable option. Ties to home country are the most important thing with tourist visa applications. So unless he had no ties, there's no way to know he'd be denied.

Also not sure how having kids would stop you from visiting a different country on a vacation to meet the foreigner.

These are questions USCIS will consider in deciding the waiver outcome and these reasons alone won't suffice for a waiver for the k1.

Edited by apnzz

I-129F Journey! ❤️

Package sent: 02 March 2024

NOA1 Received: 04 March 2024

NOA2 Approval: 23 August 2024

Physical NOA2 Received: 04 September 2024

Sent to State: 07 October 2024

NVC Received Case: 16 October 2024

NVC Case Created:

Case In Transit:

Case Ready:

Medical:

Interview:

Visa in Hand:

Flight:

30 minutes ago, belinda63 said:

There is a big difference between inconvenient and extreme hardship. My mother immigrated from Germany and would travel with me and my brother back to Germany to see her family. First trip I was 2 and my brother 4. She managed to make the trip there and back by plane with us and no one to help her. Yes it was not as easy as flying by herself but she managed just fine. Military spouses do it all the time, I went from Fort Benning in Georgia to Frankfort Germany with a two year old, and three cats. You have many options and that is how USCIS will look at it. You can travel with the children, you can find someone to care for the children and travel alone, he can come to the US to visit, you can meet in a different country with or without the children. But saying you cannot travel because you have young children is not an extreme hardship. 

There has to be a family member they can go to ( I would think ) and set up a travel date during spring break when the kids are out of school.. but!! it's easy for us to have opinions 

without knowing how a person a managing with kids and taking care of them

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Panama
Timeline

I would recommend looking into meeting in Canada. My partner was denied a visitor visa early on because the US is hard to visit when you're from a poor brown country. However, he doesn't need a visa to go to Canada and neither would I. We have chosen for me to travel to Panama instead because of the price difference. We split the cost of my travel and I stay at his place without cost so we have made it work while our application is processing.

I can't echo enough how much of a red flag it is to marry someone without meeting them. It is a huge risk. I would also recommend to explore the cultural differences for Turkey vs US. When I say meet this person, I mean spending numerous weeks with them. I would like to say I am the same in-person as I am in messages but I know my partner doesn't see my face expressions which are a big indicator for my communication 😂😁

Best wishes for however you decide to navigate next steps 💜

I-129f Sent:  07.19.2024

I-129f NOA1:  07.24.2024

I-129f NOA2: 

NVC Received:

Consulate Received: 

Interview Date:

Visa Issued:

Visa Received:

Date of Entry:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
6 hours ago, yetanotherfaery said:

I know that this waiver is hard to get and we're nothing special, but I am in a social hardship predicament (I'm the US citizen) that makes meeting him physically very difficult. 

Long story short: I have sole physical custody of my two young small children. Their biological dad is not in the picture at all. It would create extreme hardship on them to get them on a plane going across the world to meet him. I have known him online for a decade and we fell in love. We want to be together and create a future. We are assuming the tourist visa would be denied outright as we have romantic intentions beyond visiting as friend/family. We are friends first of course, but the wait time for an interview is almost 2 years in his country (Turkey) to even be considered as a yes/no for the tourist visa. 

Would my situation being the sole physical custody parent of my 2 young children be considered extreme hardship for our meeting? 

6 hours ago, MalloryCat said:

from my understanding getting the extreme hardship waiver for the I-129f is extremely difficult, almost impossible unless you meet very specific requirements. almost always related to physical health (disability that prevents travel, extreme phobias of flying, tight spaces, home bound, etc.)

There was a poster who had an extreme phobia of flying that attempted the waiver.  He was denied.  In the end he flew his SO to a Caribbean island and he drove long distance to a port in Miami or Ft Lauderdale and took a cruise to that island.

@yetanotherfaery, your case will not qualify.  As others have mentioned, there are other ways to meet in person if he cannot travel to the US.   USCIS is very, very strict with the "meeting in person within 2 years" requirement.  

I cannot remember any specific cases here on VJ where anyone was ever successful getting the meeting requirement waived.  Even some cases with very difficult medical situations and a lot of cases affected by rona-virus travel bans were unsuccessful getting meeting requirements waived.  USCIS would not even consider difficulty arranging child care as being an extreme hardship.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.