Cranberry_anon

How long/detailed was your relationship timeline?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I thought I'd ask since I seen a variety of answers online ranging from 1 to 40 pages. I'll write a Silmarillion level account of what happened if I have to but I'll be embarrassed if I get there and they only want about 2 pages of basic details.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

i believe the summary of our relationship we submitted with our I-129f was about 2 pages? the way I did it was a paragraph about how we met, a paragraph for each visit detailing what we did during each visit, and then a final paragraph basically saying the same thing as the letter of intent, that we are both wanting to get married.

but that was only submitted with the original I-129f, they didn't ask for it during the interview at all, as they would have had a copy of it already.

it varies with embassies obviously but for proof of relationship I think they ask for pictures more often than not and then ask questions about the pictures. But during my fiances interview they didn't ask to see any pictures.

Edited by MalloryCat

I-129f/K-1 Visa

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024 APPROVED!

Visa Issued: 07-11-2024

Visa Received: 7-15-2024

Date of Entry: 11-5-2024

Married: 12-18-2024

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I can't see why someone would write a 40 page statement of circumstances of meeting. Are you confusing this with the total page count for the entire I-129F petition? Because total pages for ours was 50.

They are not asking for a biography. You have to consider that people reviewing your application are also responsible for reviewing many more, so their time is limited.

1 to 2 pages is perfectly fine and needn't be any more.

Edited by smilingstone

💌I-129F Filed: 2024-04-03 

⚠️NOA1: 2024-04-17

RFE: 2024-06-05

⚠️NOA2: 2024-08-02

📤USCIS to NVC: 2024-08-28

📤NVC to Embassy: 2024-09-24

📥Embassy Received: 2024-09-30

⚕️Medical:

📋K1 Interview:

🪪K1 Visa Received: 

🛬POE:

💒Married:

Timeline
1 minute ago, smilingstone said:

I can't see why someone would write a 40 page statement of circumstances of meeting. Are you confusing this with the total page count for the entire I-129F petition? Because total pages for ours was 50.

No, he was asking about his timeline. I was wondering too because in my head I assumed a timeline could not possibly need to be longer than maybe a maximum of 3 pages, maybe 4 if it's a loooooong relationship, so I wanted to double check that I wasn't being naive thinking I could turn up with a few decent paragraphs 

38 minutes ago, MalloryCat said:

i believe the summary of our relationship we submitted with our I-129f was about 2 pages?

Ours was also about 2 pages long which seems reasonable to me. I've seen some posts (multiple forums, not just here, and some experiences shares on youtube/tiktok/twitter) where their time lines were maybe 5+ pages but usually less than 10. The 40 pager was the longest one I've seen. I'm glad I'm coming into this with a decent 2 page draft 

42 minutes ago, MalloryCat said:

it varies with embassies obviously but for proof of relationship I think they ask for pictures more often than not and then ask questions about the pictures.

From having read experiences of other Irish people marrying an American they all had time lines. It can't hurt to have one ready even if I'm not asked for, just in case

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
1 minute ago, Cranberry_anon said:

From having read experiences of other Irish people marrying an American they all had time lines. It can't hurt to have one ready even if I'm not asked for, just in case

oh absolutely, i get it. I told my fiance to bring stuff that he ending up not needing, just in case lol

"better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"

I-129f/K-1 Visa

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024 APPROVED!

Visa Issued: 07-11-2024

Visa Received: 7-15-2024

Date of Entry: 11-5-2024

Married: 12-18-2024

Read the I-129f instructions. There is no requirement for a relationship timeline. You are required to describe the circumstances of meeting in person, which can be done in one or two sentences in the form (just facts: dates, location, duration of visit). And then you add evidence of this in-person visit.

Some specific consulates ask for a relationship timeline to be provided at the interview, but considering that you are in Ireland you will not have to provide a timeline. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Marieke H said:

Read the I-129f instructions. There is no requirement for a relationship timeline

This is not for the i-129f. I am aware of that, as they did not ask for a timeline. The timeline in question is for people who have been asked to have a timeline prepared for the interview. The reason I'm asking is because there are Irish people online talking about bringing a timeline to the interview and then from looking into it I seen other people from other countries that also brought timelines and wanted to know if the one I prepared (just in case I am asked for one) is long enough since people have varying lengths for what they brought

The fact that other Irish people are bringing timelines does not mean that it is a requirement. There are a few US Consulates that include a relationship timeline in their interview checklist, and it kinda makes sense that they are asking for it in those countries. But it is not a part of the interview checklist if you are interviewing in Dublin.

If you insist on creating one, I would keep it very brief and factual; they don't need a novel or an essay about how you fell in love. But again, I think it's a waste of time to even create one.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ours was 1 page haha. Just extremely brief and to the point - we met online via a video gaming group chat then the first time actually hanging out was on a video game, then progression from there. I just felt the need to explain that as I felt like it could be perceived as a weird/uncommon way of meeting haha. Even that felt like a bit much to me, personally.

And we've known each other since around 2017 and been in a relationship since late 2019, so length of relationship has no difference in the length of the relationship "timeline". Just keep it short snappy and brief. 

This was for the initial i-129f packet, I'll probably bring a copy of it to the interview but I highly doubt they'll even care or ask for it.

These people process so many cases per day, they don't want to be buried in unnecessary stuff, realistically I doubt they would even read the entire thing if it was longer than a few pages.

Edited by apnzz

I-129F Journey! ❤️

Package sent: 02 March 2024

NOA1 Received: 04 March 2024

NOA2 Approval: 23 August 2024

Physical NOA2 Received: 04 September 2024

Sent to State: 07 October 2024

NVC Received Case: 16 October 2024

NVC Case Created:

Case In Transit:

Case Ready:

Medical:

Interview:

Visa in Hand:

Flight:

A brief one page statement containing a small paragraph. You don't need anything special. Believe me, if you want to sacrifice more trees to feed the USCIS there will be plenty of opportunities.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

On 10/14/2024 at 7:01 AM, Cranberry_anon said:

I thought I'd ask since I seen a variety of answers online ranging from 1 to 40 pages. I'll write a Silmarillion level account of what happened if I have to but I'll be embarrassed if I get there and they only want about 2 pages of basic details.

"Relationship timeline"?  Not required or requested by USCIS.  We showed evidence of the required meeting as per the instructions.

Also not required by Department of State.

Edited by SalishSea

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.