9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You have to wait and do it whilst she is in the U.S. on the k1 visa.

Upon entry using a k1 visa, the foreigner has 90 days to marry you. After marriage, you file the I-485 adjustment of status (at this time you can also file for the EAD form I-765 - work authorisation, and AP - advanced parole form -I-131 travel document.)

As for the social security number - also has to be done once she's in the U.S - before or after marriage or even after AOS approval (there's an option to have them issue it with the AoS).

I-129F Journey! ❤️

Package sent: 02 March 2024

NOA1 Received: 04 March 2024

NOA2 Approval: 23 August 2024

Physical NOA2 Received: 04 September 2024

Sent to State: 07 October 2024

NVC Received Case: 16 October 2024

NVC Case Created:

Case In Transit:

Case Ready:

Medical:

Interview:

Visa in Hand:

Flight:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

you can start filling out the forms and gathering the documents

but nothing can be submitted until after she is in the US and you have gotten married.

the only thing you can apply for before getting married, but after she has arrived in the US, is the social security number. it is highly recommended that you do this before getting married

see here

but adjustment of status (green card) and the work authorization have to come after you've gotten married

I-129f/K-1 Visa

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024 APPROVED!

Visa Issued: 07-11-2024

Visa Received: 7-15-2024

Date of Entry: 11-5-2024

Married: 12-18-2024

26 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

In July you said ds 160 visa application 

this is tourist visa  / she would not eet SS Number or marry on tourist visa

DS-160 isn't just for tourist visas. It has to be completed for K-1 applicants too. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#5 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

then if K1  this is close to end of 2024 

important when u marry /  if before end of year  and married,  u can claim her on tax returns

very important to get that SS number within the first 30 days 

this helps add her to health care insurance,  checking and taxes

Adjustment of Status, Working in the United States, and Traveling Outside of the United States

Information for K-1/K-2 visa holders about adjustment of status, permission to work in the United States, and travel outside of the United States is available on the USCIS website under Fiancé(e) Visas.

How to Apply for a Social Security Number Card

To learn about applying for a Social Security Number Card, visit the website for the Social Security Administration.

5 hours ago, narayan333 said:

Hello everyone, my fiance is coming to usa in few months so i was wondering if i can apply for her green card/work permit and social security while she is in her country. what is the process for this? do i have to wait until she comes here?

This is very basic info about this process that you should already know.   I suggest you read the guides thoroughly.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Zambia
Timeline
2 hours ago, SalishSea said:

This is very basic info about this process that you should already know.   I suggest you read the guides thoroughly.

This is correct!

In case OP doesn't know where to find the guides, you can find the K1 visa process by going to the top of this site, clicking on Guides, and selecting US Visas, then clicking on K1 Fiancé Visa.

The page has a lot of information and it can be overwhelming to sort through. Under the heading Self Help Guides, the K1 Visa Flowchart has been very helpful for me as we navigate through this process. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.