SmokeyWA

Advice on DIY vs a cheap service

33 posts in this topic

Hello.  I plan to file for a fiance visa soon. I heard about this site while researching. I am on the fence about DIY vs a cheap service, say $800 or less. I have read that there is a downward trend in the amount of time needed to complete the process. This gives me concerns that it might be less of a waiting game for new apps than it has been in the past for DIYers, and more of a scramble to get all the stuff in time if you submit the first step too early. To contrast that perceived extra rush I think my case maybe very simple. So I'm a bit on the fence about which way to go and I thought I'd ask this forum to help me decide. I realize you guys lean toward DIY.

I decided to try to meet someone over seas through dateinasia. I had conversations with a few women and then took an interest in Jessel. She was seeking work abroad through an employment agency when we met because she felt it would be a better way to help her family than getting a job in the Philippines. I didn't like the idea of pursuing someone that was a maid to a random rich guy in Asia so I had to help her or not pursue her. She didn't tell me that, I chose that and had to convince her it was not shameful for two partners to help each other. So we began a LDR with video calls every day, me working alot, and sending 300 a month to help the household out. I have continued that contact and support for 15 months now.

I got to go stay with her and her family for two weeks recently. Everything went well and I want to start the visa process ASAP. I am a US citizen. I divorced right around the time I met Jessel but i had been separated for almost a year at that point. She and I are roughly the same age. Evidence of the trip and our relationship based on love that we have will be alot of pics on facebook with me, her and her family hanging out for a few weeks, a long messenger thread of us talking for over a year, pics of us getting matching tattoos, western union log of support payments, and my flight itinerary(but not tickets/BP stub, except one for a return flight). I believe we will both do fine on the medical / police stuff but I haven't started it yet. I believe I make enough and can include in my letter that I can probably find her a job inside the group of restaurants I work for.

Should I just research everything to DIY and start compiling everything right away? ( police clearance, vaccinations, physical }

Should I use a service like SC, boundless or greencardhero?

Thanks for the time and any advice you can give.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the K-1 Case Progress subforum to the K-1 Process forum.

3 minutes ago, SmokeyWA said:

Should I just research everything to DIY and start compiling everything right away? ( police clearance, vaccinations, physical }

Welcome to the forum!  There are dozens of threads on this topic.

3 minutes ago, SmokeyWA said:

If you lack the time or organizational skills to complete your petition yourself, consider a service.  The most reliable, and a VJ partner, is:

You get what you pay for.

Note:  I have no conflict of interest in suggesting the above.

6 minutes ago, SmokeyWA said:

I plan to file for a fiance visa soon.

Actually, you plan to file the I-129F petition.  The visa application comes later.  Precise terminology is crucial.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

2 hours ago, SmokeyWA said:

Hello.  I plan to file for a fiance visa soon. I heard about this site while researching. I am on the fence about DIY vs a cheap service, say $800 or less. I have read that there is a downward trend in the amount of time needed to complete the process. This gives me concerns that it might be less of a waiting game for new apps than it has been in the past for DIYers, and more of a scramble to get all the stuff in time if you submit the first step too early. To contrast that perceived extra rush I think my case maybe very simple. So I'm a bit on the fence about which way to go and I thought I'd ask this forum to help me decide. I realize you guys lean toward DIY.

I decided to try to meet someone over seas through dateinasia. I had conversations with a few women and then took an interest in Jessel. She was seeking work abroad through an employment agency when we met because she felt it would be a better way to help her family than getting a job in the Philippines. I didn't like the idea of pursuing someone that was a maid to a random rich guy in Asia so I had to help her or not pursue her. She didn't tell me that, I chose that and had to convince her it was not shameful for two partners to help each other. So we began a LDR with video calls every day, me working alot, and sending 300 a month to help the household out. I have continued that contact and support for 15 months now.

I got to go stay with her and her family for two weeks recently. Everything went well and I want to start the visa process ASAP. I am a US citizen. I divorced right around the time I met Jessel but i had been separated for almost a year at that point. She and I are roughly the same age. Evidence of the trip and our relationship based on love that we have will be alot of pics on facebook with me, her and her family hanging out for a few weeks, a long messenger thread of us talking for over a year, pics of us getting matching tattoos, western union log of support payments, and my flight itinerary(but not tickets/BP stub, except one for a return flight). I believe we will both do fine on the medical / police stuff but I haven't started it yet. I believe I make enough and can include in my letter that I can probably find her a job inside the group of restaurants I work for.

Thanks for the time and any advice you can give.

You have some red flags already, which I’m sure you’ll get feedback on here.

Even with red flags, your overall process will not go faster. Whether you use a paid service or DIY.   

I would suggest to do it yourself, The K1 is a very simple application, and now of days even USCIS has pretty good directions, and you can get extra support from this website which is very helpful.

Since you mentioned "DateInAsia" and "Philippines" and if you just wanted to not mess with it doing the application yourself, then they have company called RapidVisa and they actually have a office building across the street from the US EMbassy in Manila off Roxas Blvd.

I have heard they will even go thru mock visa interview with the applicant and they would know exactly what US Embassy in Manila requires for visa interview or visa application.

I would still suggest do it yourself, you will have to provide all the paperwork and gather documents, so why not just fill out the forms yourself.  

Either ways you have options, Come back if you have any questions.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

it sounds like you could easily DIY the I-129f petition yourself.

as someone who used boundless (and regrets it) I would 100% say DO NOT go with them. they are not experts and not worth the money.

and even though my experience with them wasn't awful, I've had to block 2 of their phones numbers because of the insane amount of calls I have received from them. I'm talking like.. 3 calls from the same person in the span of 15 minutes. each time leaving a voicemail saying the same exact thing.

I didn't know this site existed at the time when we filed our I-129f, if I had I would have just filed everything myself and not gone with a company.

if you do plan to do it yourself, this site will be incredibly helpful, heres a good place to start

https://www.visajourney.com/k1-fiance-visa-overview/

I-129f/K-1 Visa

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024 APPROVED!

Visa Issued: 07-11-2024

Visa Received: 7-15-2024

Date of Entry: 11-5-2024

Married: 12-18-2024

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 hours ago, DELTAFOXTROT said:

I would suggest to do it yourself, The K1 is a very simple application, and now of days even USCIS has pretty good directions, and you can get extra support from this website which is very helpful.

Since you mentioned "DateInAsia" and "Philippines" and if you just wanted to not mess with it doing the application yourself, then they have company called RapidVisa and they actually have a office building across the street from the US EMbassy in Manila off Roxas Blvd.

I have heard they will even go thru mock visa interview with the applicant and they would know exactly what US Embassy in Manila requires for visa interview or visa application.

I would still suggest do it yourself, you will have to provide all the paperwork and gather documents, so why not just fill out the forms yourself.  

Either ways you have options, Come back if you have any questions.

We used RapidVisa, and only because we hadn't found VisaJourney until a bit later. They were okay, and they were efficient, but they did make a mistake that could have been a problem during our AOS interview. RapidVisa advised my husband to say that he doesn't have children, because they are all adults and not accompanying him. This was wrong, and the IO was kind enough to let us correct it at the interview. I would choose DIY, with advice from this forum. Many of the people here really know how it all works and  you'll get great advice!

14 minutes ago, Joyoussinger said:

We used RapidVisa, and only because we hadn't found VisaJourney until a bit later. They were okay, and they were efficient, but they did make a mistake that could have been a problem during our AOS interview. RapidVisa advised my husband to say that he doesn't have children, because they are all adults and not accompanying him. This was wrong, and the IO was kind enough to let us correct it at the interview. I would choose DIY, with advice from this forum. Many of the people here really know how it all works and  you'll get great advice!

I have never heard of anyone using a visa processing for AOS, isn't that like just one page applicaiton?  I always had my fiance/wife take over the paperwork after the K1 process for AOS, I looked over it one time, it looked very simple to fill out.

Interesting you had a AOS Inteview, My wife were all waived and approved with paperwork only.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, DELTAFOXTROT said:

isn't that like just one page applicaiton?

No.

Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence 
or Adjust Status (uscis.gov)

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
6 minutes ago, DELTAFOXTROT said:

I have never heard of anyone using a visa processing for AOS, isn't that like just one page applicaiton?  I always had my fiance/wife take over the paperwork after the K1 process for AOS, I looked over it one time, it looked very simple to fill out.

Interesting you had a AOS Inteview, My wife were all waived and approved with paperwork only.

Maybe it was different when your wife did it, but the AOS packet was much more complicated imo than the I-129F. Still completely doable DIY, but definitely not a simple one page application.

4 minutes ago, alliejourney said:

Maybe it was different when your wife did it, but the AOS packet was much more complicated imo than the I-129F. Still completely doable DIY, but definitely not a simple one page application.

I just looked it over and I think I had to sign it, but compared to the K1, it looked alot less complicated and less questions and less paperwork.

I have never heard of anyone using a visa processing for AOS, isn't that like just one page applicaiton? 

Things really must have changed in the past decade if your wife only filled in a one page form for AOS. Just the I-485 is a far longer form than the I-129f now, and then of course add in the I-864, and possibly I-131 and I-765 as well. Overall probably 40+ pages of forms for most. 

9 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

I had my wife do it, Seems rather straight forward and rather easy DYI.  My job was to get the K1 approved, which I found to be a rather simple DYI project as well.

I get a good laugh from some of the people especially if they used like a "Lawyer" to fill out their paperwork, or even a agency. You gonna do most of the work anyways, I am not gonna pay someone to fill out simple paperwork and mail something, I want complete control of the whole process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I just looked it over and I think I had to sign it, but compared to the K1, it looked alot less complicated and less questions and less paperwork.

Agreed with what @appleblossom said. It's not only the I-485, but also all of the accompanying forms that make up the entire packet. Again, as a person who personally handled both the paperwork for the I-129F and also the AOS packet for my now-husband very recently, my opinion is the AOS was much more labor intensive and complicated. You're arguing about something you said yourself you didn't do, lol.

To speak to the OP, I would not recommend a service. Utilize this forum for resources and you'll be just fine - the whole process is doable without spending money on help!

6 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

Things really must have changed in the past decade if your wife only filled in a one page form for AOS. Just the I-485 is a far longer form than the I-129f now, and then of course add in the I-864, and possibly I-131 and I-765 as well. Overall probably 40+ pages of forms for most. 

I have her I-485 in front of me now. It looks about as thick as the I-129F.

She did all those forms EAD/AP add G325A

The I 485 application has much more than one page

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.