dd2024dd

Tourist visa for a CR1 fiance

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone:

My wife and I got married at the beginning of 2024 and since then we applied for an immigrant spouse visa for her (CR1 case.) From what I see the processing times for her country (from start to finish) range around 3 years. Thus I was wondering if it is possible (or should I say, advisable) to have her apply for a tourist visa to come see me in the US while we're waiting for a spouse visa?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

She can try, but it will be a hard bar to overcome immigration intent with an I130 in process.  A denial should not impact the spousal visa case unless she would materially misrepresent herself with a B2 interview or on the DS160.

Good Luck!

Edited by Dashinka

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Wavez24 said:

Travelling on a B2 with the intention to adjust status is not allowed, if that was your plan.

Sure she can apply, but with immigration intent and from Kenya, well that's 99.9% gonna be a denial, so save your money.

No. That was not my intent. My intent was to have her come and stay with me for the duration of the travel visa.

9 hours ago, dd2024dd said:

No. That was not my intent. My intent was to have her come and stay with me for the duration of the travel visa.

All you can do is apply and see if approved.   You have some red flags that could be a challenge, but a tourist visa denial will not negatively impact the immigrant visa outcome.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
16 hours ago, dd2024dd said:

Hey everyone:

My wife and I got married at the beginning of 2024 and since then we applied for an immigrant spouse visa for her (CR1 case.) From what I see the processing times for her country (from start to finish) range around 3 years. Thus I was wondering if it is possible (or should I say, advisable) to have her apply for a tourist visa to come see me in the US while we're waiting for a spouse visa?

It's a very long process.  My advice is that you go and visit your wife as often as you can while waiting, and save documentation to show time spent together, in person.  This evidence will strengthen your case when it finally gets to the interview at the consulate.  Her chances of getting a B2 visa to visit you are slim.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.