rattlesnake123

Traveling to U.S. with Non-U.S. Citizen Partner on ESTA for the Holidays

17 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I’m a U.S. citizen living abroad with my girlfriend (who has an ESTA) and our daughter, who is a U.S. citizen (this will be her first time visiting the U.S.).

We’re coming to the U.S. for a few weeks over Christmas to visit my family, and we have return tickets already booked.

I’m wondering if we might face any issues at immigration for my girlfriend, who is traveling on an ESTA. Do we need to show any ties to her home country, and if so, what would be acceptable? She’s a full-time stay-at-home mom, and we don’t have any assets.

Any advice on what to expect at immigration for her would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Yes, there is a chance of her being questioned as she would be travelling with two US citizens.

If she was employed, I'd take employment verification letter. But she isn't.

What about copy of lease or mortgage statements, return ticket, perhaps documentation about kids enrolled in school overseas?

If you have any solid plans, e.g reservations for places you're trying to go to in the US, I'd take those too.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

VWP requires proof of a return ticket in the case, or onward travel.

A couple of weeks I doubt she will be asked very much at all.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

19 minutes ago, Wavez24 said:

No job is a massive red flag, if she was travelling alone there would be a higher than average chance of her being denied entry. Travelling as a family for a 2 week holiday shouldn't be a problem though.

Just curious, since we are staying with my family for the few weeks we are here over Christmas, it's not like she would need to pay for anything during that time. Why would not having a job be a red flag?

43 minutes ago, rattlesnake123 said:

Just curious, since we are staying with my family for the few weeks we are here over Christmas, it's not like she would need to pay for anything during that time. Why would not having a job be a red flag?

It's not lack of funds, it's not having a job to return to - ideally she'd have as many ties to her home country as possible to prove she'll return. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
9 minutes ago, rattlesnake123 said:

Is there a list or something of which documents that can be used to prove ties? Do the documents have to be in English?

No

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
1 hour ago, rattlesnake123 said:

Is there a list or something of which documents that can be used to prove ties? Do the documents have to be in English?

Also make sure you pack accordingly for 2 weeks. If you show up each with 3 big suitcases that also could be a red flag beside not having a job.

Does she have a proven track record on ESTA that she left on time, etc or first time using it?

Just now, ineedadisplayname said:

Also make sure you pack accordingly for 2 weeks. If you show up each with 3 big suitcases that also could be a red flag beside not having a job.

Does she have a proven track record on ESTA that she left on time, etc or first time using it?

Not ESTA but had I think had travel visa years ago, visited and left on time. But probably more than 10 years ago.

5 hours ago, rattlesnake123 said:

And would my job abroad help prove ties for her? Even though we're not legally married?

Are you planning for her to immigrate to the US?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 10/10/2024 at 12:58 AM, rattlesnake123 said:

Not an official list but just anything that can show she has a life in her original country 

e.g:

• tenancy/rental agreements or proof of ownership of home or mortage
  • proof of employment to show she has a job to come back to - original employment offer or even proof that her employer has approved the time off for the visit
  • proof of appointments can be helpful - medical etc appointments that could help support the fact she'll be coming back to attend
  • Car / other vehicle proof of payments (if appropriate)
  • return flight is required for ESTA
  • familial or community ties; close / immediate relatives that the person will be coming back to
  • educational ties; proof of enrolment in education such as university or college

These are just a few examples; it is essentially any evidence and proof that she has a life in her home country and because of that, she will return. Hence why proof of employment is a major, imo, the most important one.

It is essentially her job, on an ESTA, to convince and prove to the officer at security on arrival, that she has intent to(and will) go home and that she isn't going to stay in the U.S (beyond the allowed period.)

Edited by apnzz

I-129F Journey! ❤️

Package sent: 02 March 2024

NOA1 Received: 04 March 2024

NOA2 Approval: 23 August 2024

Physical NOA2 Received: 04 September 2024

Sent to State: 07 October 2024

NVC Received Case: 16 October 2024

NVC Case Created:

Case In Transit:

Case Ready:

Medical:

Interview:

Visa in Hand:

Flight:

6 hours ago, apnzz said:

Not an official list but just anything that can show she has a life in her original country 

e.g:

• tenancy/rental agreements or proof of ownership of home or mortage
  • proof of employment to show she has a job to come back to - original employment offer or even proof that her employer has approved the time off for the visit
  • proof of appointments can be helpful - medical etc appointments that could help support the fact she'll be coming back to attend
  • Car / other vehicle proof of payments (if appropriate)
  • return flight is required for ESTA
  • familial or community ties; close / immediate relatives that the person will be coming back to
  • educational ties; proof of enrolment in education such as university or college

These are just a few examples; it is essentially any evidence and proof that she has a life in her home country and because of that, she will return. Hence why proof of employment is a major, imo, the most important one.

It is essentially her job, on an ESTA, to convince and prove to the officer at security on arrival, that she has intent to(and will) go home and that she isn't going to stay in the U.S (beyond the allowed period.)

How do you prove family/community ties? Do they ask the documents to be in English?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.