shaista

Uk citizen applying e2 visa

21 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, shaista said:

Thanku soooo much for your advice. What if he was to put his share in a running business.  How much would we need(money wise). Not being nosey  where are your both businesses (just curious)

Yes, he could do that, would still need more though - you'd spend a lot of that just on setting up life in the US for a family, never mind the business side of things.  

Will PM you about my businesses, would rather not give that info on a public forum. 

Filed: Timeline
18 hours ago, shaista said:

Thanku soooo much for your advice. What if he was to put his share in a running business.  How much would we need(money wise). Not being nosey  where are your both businesses (just curious)

Depends on the size of the business — you would need to invest enough to own at least 50% of an operating business.  If you purchased only 50% of a business, it would need to include a stipulation that you would be the controlling partner because an E Treaty Investor visa is specifically to allow a business investor to develop and direct the business in which he/she invested.  The investment also must be sufficient to ensure the investor’s commitment to making the business successful.

I would recommend a lot more research on not only the requirements for an E2 visa but also on the proposed type of businesses you are planning to invest in.  I doubt that a $100,000 investment in either of the types of businesses you stated would meet the requirements.  

You would most likely not be able to purchase a controlling interest in an active, profitable off-license business or grocery store for that amount.  It probably wouldn’t cover the cost of purchasing the stock to sell or the equipment needed to operate.  

The profit margins for small grocery stores in the US run, on average, between 1 to 3% — not sufficient to establish and support your family in the US for a $100,000 investment.  (Major supermarkets operate with a larger margin, but your proposed investment would be insufficient for investing in one if the major chains).  As to an off-license business — you would need to also check the requirements, cost, and length of time to get (or retain, if you buy an existing business) a liquor license.  The requirements vary from state to state.  Some, for example require the licensee to be a US citizen or LPR, which you will not be.

Good luck in your research!

My father-in-law has his own business here in the US and he would tell you himself it's certainly not all sunshine and daisies. So would my OH who works for him. I'm kept from the finer details but given the risk-factor of their line of work, union meddling, employees not using PPE correctly then trying to sue for their own negligence, and the way taxes work here, it's a hard path to walk. Still rewarding, but I can see the negatives more than the UK in honesty. 

I'm also aware of the UK sinking it's own ship right now, but hey, I'm just a little lost creative soul that'd be happy with a tenner. Either way, you all have my respect for taking the risks involved. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.