shaista

Uk citizen applying e2 visa

21 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, shaista said:

Hi

I have quick question about e2 visa. I am British citizen living in uk and wanting to go on e2 visa. Has anybody travelled on e2 visa and what is the procedure.  Meaning interviews and how long it takes. Much appreciated. 

Thank you 

E-2 trade or investor? The process differs depending on that. 

16 minutes ago, shaista said:

I think the trade one

There's quite a big difference! So you have a job offer from a sponsoring US employer?

Edited by appleblossom

35 minutes ago, shaista said:

So which is the one where you put money into a business, is the the investor one . I think upto 100,00 dollars 

Ah, yes that's the investor one. You'd usually need more than that though, don't forget you'd have to set up home in the US as well as buying the business, getting premises, hiring Americans, etc. Here's info on it - https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/treaty-trader-or-treaty-investor/overview/

Just checking, you don't have kids or any plans to try and stay permanently? As there's no direct route to a green card from that visa.

40 minutes ago, shaista said:

So which is the one where you put money into a business, is the the investor one . I think upto 100,00 dollars 

Are you at the beginning of your exploration of this visa route?

Either way, E-2 would require substantial documentation and clear understanding of what you're doing. Interviews, like other non-immigrant visas can be very brief. So unless you have a strong application to begin with, you may be denied very quickly when you show up to the consular interview.

So it's actually my husband who will be investing,we have 2 kids . We have no intention of staying permanent as I'm born bred in uk for 44 years. All my family, cousins etc are all here in uk. Business wise my husband wants to try something new. America u can make money, here in uk it's all downhill,so for that reason we are going with him.

3 minutes ago, shaista said:

So it's actually my husband who will be investing,we have 2 kids . We have no intention of staying permanent as I'm born bred in uk for 44 years. All my family, cousins etc are all here in uk. Business wise my husband wants to try something new. America u can make money, here in uk it's all downhill,so for that reason we are going with him.

OK. If you don't want to move to the US then why not just invest in a business? Although FWIW, as somebody with businesses both sides of the Atlantic, I think it's much easier to make money from a business in the UK! 

What kind of business does he have? 

2 minutes ago, shaista said:

Yes still at the beginning yet,still trying to get head around it lol

A good lawyer is your first step. 

Edited by appleblossom

8 minutes ago, shaista said:

He would like to open off licence or grocery shop, trust me here in uk all businesses are down 

I'm aware, but I'm also aware of the US state of things - as I said, I have businesses in both countries. He'll need a lot more than $100k to open a new retail outlet and staff it. And make sure he brings plenty of savings to sustain himself (particularly if you do all come as well), cost of living in the US is considerably higher. 

But as I said above, he needs a good lawyer and business plan as a starting point. 

Best of luck. 

7 minutes ago, shaista said:

Thanku soooo much for your advice. What if he was to put his share in a running business.  How much would we need(money wise). Not being nosey  where are your both businesses (just curious)

The more the better.

"the E-2 visa investment amount cannot be marginal and must be projected to make an economic impact. The return on your investment can’t simply provide for yourself and family, it must make a meaningful contribution to the American economy. The economic impact usually measures changes in business revenue, business profits, personal wages, and/or jobs."

https://www.immi-usa.com/e2-visa-investment-amount/

The expectations need to be realistic, hiring just 2 full-time minimum wage employees can cost anywhere from $35000 to $85000 a year depending on state. Factor in other expenses such as rent, bills, stock...

If you said the investment was 250-500+ then I'd say you can be more confident of positive outcome.

Edited by OldUser

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.