FreeBird265

I received a phone call. Any help?

10 posts in this topic

Hi, please can anyone help me figure out what the phone call I received earlier today might have been about. I am the beneficiary for a CR1 visa application. I live in the UK and am a British citizen. I am currently DQ at the NVC stage, waiting for my interview letter. Earlier today I received a phone call from a UK number. The call started off with an automated voice message saying something along the lines of "This is US immigration calling regarding an urgent update on your case, please hold for a representative". It then put me through to someone who started talking, but at that exact moment I had to hang up as my boss walked in the room and began talking to me. They have not called me back since. I searched the telephone number online to see if anyone else has experienced the same or to see if it was a scam call but there are no results relating to the number. Could this have been a legit call from USCIS/NVC/CEAC etc. and a call I needed to answer regarding my case or was this a scam call? Any help would be really appreciated as I am worried I have delayed my case somehow by not taking this call. Many thanks.

Yes it could have been a legit call from one of the US immigration agencies.

You should have either let it go to voicemail or not hang up and speak to the person on the phone. Wouldn't your boss understand this is important matter?

What to do? Have you tried calling the number? If nobody answers, wait for written communication.

Edited by OldUser

Why would it be USCIS? I thought USCIS were completely out of the process after I-130 stage? My boss doesn't know about this process and I am trying to keep it this way, hence why I had to end the call. Is there anyway I can contact the agencies to try and get them to call me again if it was them?

41 minutes ago, FreeBird265 said:

Also, surely if it was from USCIS, it wouldn't be a call from a UK phone number? I would assume it would be from a US area code number?

It could have been US embassy staff in the UK calling from their landline. All speculation, of course.

46 minutes ago, FreeBird265 said:

My boss doesn't know about this process and I am trying to keep it this way, hence why I had to end the call. 

I'm sure in DS-260 you'd have to list employers, right? It's rare, but what if US immigration calls your employer to check you actually work there? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

I would check your case online.  You’re right to be suspicious.  They much prefer to do everything in writing, even if by emails.  I’ve heard of scammers posing as immigration.

I doubt anyone would be calling you (from the UK included) when you're still waiting for interview letter. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

8 hours ago, FreeBird265 said:

Hi, please can anyone help me figure out what the phone call I received earlier today might have been about. I am the beneficiary for a CR1 visa application. I live in the UK and am a British citizen. I am currently DQ at the NVC stage, waiting for my interview letter. Earlier today I received a phone call from a UK number. The call started off with an automated voice message saying something along the lines of "This is US immigration calling regarding an urgent update on your case, please hold for a representative". It then put me through to someone who started talking, but at that exact moment I had to hang up as my boss walked in the room and began talking to me. They have not called me back since. I searched the telephone number online to see if anyone else has experienced the same or to see if it was a scam call but there are no results relating to the number. Could this have been a legit call from USCIS/NVC/CEAC etc. and a call I needed to answer regarding my case or was this a scam call? Any help would be really appreciated as I am worried I have delayed my case somehow by not taking this call. Many thanks.

maybe it was your boss trying to catch you out… ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.