Kate8kate0

re-entry permit pt 3, where should notice to pick up travel doc be sent?

14 posts in this topic

Hi, so moved to USA in June 2024.  Our 100+ year old house that we bought to refurb was due to complete sale but the buyers pulled out due to a horrific inspection/survey that came back with numerous problems which puts buyers off. Extremely stressful considering we have thrown alot of money at rogue builders. I need to go back to the UK to work to fix these issues once and for all otherwise the only way we can sell the house is at auction and could stand to loose 50-60k of our life's savings.

I am applying for re-entry permit, for Part 3, 'Where should the notice to pick up the travel document be sent?' (Separate to choosing i will pick up and UK consulate) Is it ok to put UK address for this?

I have put my permanent physical address in the US for part 1 but would like the notice to pick up reentry permit to be sent to me in the UK as that is where i will be?

thanks 

5 minutes ago, OldUser said:

How long are you going to be gone for?

When you say you moved to the US, do you have green card?

yes have a green card have been here since june 2024, trying to sell our house its extremely stressful leaks, roof,  damp the lot, . what do i say to part 3. thanks so much

Edited by Kate8kate0

5 minutes ago, Kate8kate0 said:

yes have a green card have been here since june 2024, trying to sell our house its extremely stressful leaks, roof,  damp the lot, . what do i say to part 3. thanks so much

How long are you going to be away from the US? For example, if it's only 2-4 months, I wouldn't worry about reentry permit. If it's 6+ months, then yes you may need it.

1 minute ago, OldUser said:

How long are you going to be away from the US? For example, if it's only 2-4 months, I wouldn't worry about reentry permit. If it's 6+ months, then yes you may need it.

its going to take me more than a year less than 2 years to pay loan back to fix the issues 

1 minute ago, Kate8kate0 said:

its going to take me more than a year less than 2 years to pay loan back to fix the issues 

Not sure how paying loan requires you to be in the UK, as most of payments can be done online. Either way, you won't get the permit any time soon. So maybe sending it to the UK makes sense. I don't have personal experience with this. I can imagine you can reenter the US with valid GC and I-797 for the reentry permit even if it's not approved when you travel back into the US.

5 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Not sure how paying loan requires you to be in the UK, as most of payments can be done online. Either way, you won't get the permit any time soon. So maybe sending it to the UK makes sense. I don't have personal experience with this. I can imagine you can reenter the US with valid GC and I-797 for the reentry permit even if it's not approved when you travel back into the US.

because I'm borrowing from a relative and its a lot of money, if house not sorted i will loose much more if house goes to auction,,  just to clarify USCIS do send notices to pick up travel document overseas?

7 minutes ago, Kate8kate0 said:

because I'm borrowing from a relative and its a lot of money, if house not sorted i will loose much more if house goes to auction,,  just to clarify USCIS do send notices to pick up travel document overseas?

You can't put your own UK address, but you can select the London consulate.

Follow the guide that goes along with the form when filling it in - https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-131instr.pdf

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/B5en.pdf

Good luck. 

Edited by appleblossom

Just now, appleblossom said:

You can't put your own UK address, but you can select the London consulate. Have a look at the application guide that goes alongside the application form. https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/B5en.pdf

Hi i have selected send to us consulate uk in part 3 question 6, but Question 8 'where should the notice to pick up the travel document be sent?' Can i put my address in the UK do they send notices overseas?

3 minutes ago, Kate8kate0 said:

Hi i have selected send to us consulate uk in part 3 question 6, but Question 8 'where should the notice to pick up the travel document be sent?' Can i put my address in the UK do they send notices overseas?

Yes, of course, lots of people apply for visas from overseas. But you should also have it on your online account.

Good luck. 

6 minutes ago, Kate8kate0 said:

saltishsea is it possible to find out what your confused emoji is about?

I'm under a hell of a lot of stress and strain 

It's probably similar to my comment:

2 hours ago, OldUser said:

Not sure how paying loan requires you to be in the UK, as most of payments can be done online. 

I could have reacted similarly to that message. I didn't quite follow this either:

2 hours ago, Kate8kate0 said:

But I guess it's OK, we don't have to fully understand the reasons other than you're going to be away for over a year.

Please consider advice given here and hang in there. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Edited by OldUser

2 minutes ago, OldUser said:

It's probably similar to my comment:

I could have reacted similarly to that message. I didn't quite follow this either:

But I guess it's OK, we don't have to fully understand the reasons other than you're going to be away for over a year.

okay yes thank you for clarifying 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.