Scotty and JoJo

Age difference, high fraud country

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Kenya
Timeline

My soon to be wife is quite a bit younger than I, and is in Kenya, listed as one of two very high marriage fraud countries in Africa. 

Has anyone had any issues or denials based on either or both of these factors? We have never met in person, but have been 'together' for over a year and now want to tie the knot.

Thanks for any help

Scotty and JoJo

Timeline
1 minute ago, appleblossom said:

I'd think having never met would be a bigger red flag. You'll obviously need to meet in person before applying anyway, but for a high fraud consulate I'd personally recommend a lot more time together first, across several visits. 

Best of luck. 

Timeline
Just now, Scotty and JoJo said:

Yes, that sounds plausible. Of course, we have to meet to be married (in her country), but I understand your reply. Thank you!

1 minute ago, Scotty and JoJo said:

Yes, that sounds plausible. Of course, we have to meet to be married (in her country), but I understand your reply. Thank you!

Well, you don't have to be together in person to be married. Plenty of people on VJ do Utah Zoom marriages. 

But if you're marrying in person, I would certainly try for at least another visit or two as well. 

Good luck. 

Timeline

I've heard about that Utah Zoom marriage deal, but we would, of course, love to meet. Travel there is (unfortunately) ridiculously expensive, and then there's the whole getting away from work thing. Agreed on the advice tho. Thanks again!

27 minutes ago, Scotty and JoJo said:

I've heard about that Utah Zoom marriage deal, but we would, of course, love to meet. Travel there is (unfortunately) ridiculously expensive, and then there's the whole getting away from work thing. Agreed on the advice tho. Thanks again!

You don't have to travel to Kenya, if meeting in a third country might be cheaper? I've no idea if it would though. 

Unfortunately, it's probably a necessary investment. It'll cost far more in money, stress and time if you have a refusal and have to reapply another couple of years down the line. 

Best of luck. 

32 minutes ago, Scotty and JoJo said:

Expenses related to a choosing an international relationship and work time off won’t be considered by department of state in evaluating the visa application.     Not even a little.

Best chance for an approval is significant time spent together in person, they way a normal relationship develops.

34 minutes ago, Scotty and JoJo said:

“Love to meet”?   

You cannot marry via the online Utah program and file a petition without meeting.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

“Love to meet”?   

You cannot marry via the online Utah program and file a petition without meeting.

I wasn't planning on using or trying to use the Utah method. I do understand that in-person meeting is a requirement. Unfortunately, 8,333 miles is a long way away. If there was a way to meet in person, we would have already found it

6 minutes ago, Scotty and JoJo said:

I wasn't planning on using or trying to use the Utah method. I do understand that in-person meeting is a requirement. Unfortunately, 8,333 miles is a long way away. If there was a way to meet in person, we would have already found it

I get that.   Most of us here have faced that, but many (like myself) went through very low fraud consulates.   We still had multiple meetings and lots of time spent in person before filing.   

Just trying to give you advice to help with best chances for approval, given your consulate.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

I get that.   Most of us here have faced that, but many (like myself) went through very low fraud consulates.   We still had multiple meetings and lots of time spent in person before filing.   

Just trying to give you advice to help with best chances for approval, given your consulate.

Yes, agreed on all. This is not my first international marriage, but the first was pre-911 and from a completely different country and more 'normal' circumstances. 

I suppose we'll figure it out... Thank you

26 minutes ago, Scotty and JoJo said:

Yes, agreed on all. This is not my first international marriage, but the first was pre-911 and from a completely different country and more 'normal' circumstances. 

I suppose we'll figure it out... Thank you

Did you sponsor the other person for GC too? It will be something USCIS take into account.

Edited by OldUser

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.