Cranberry_anon

Perspective/opinions wanted: how bad does this look on a K1 application?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Just now, Cranberry_anon said:

I'm so focused on it because when I announced the engagement a lot of people told me that a long distance relationship of 18 months is not a real relationship. As I said in an earlier post, these things are not well supported where I am, and for that reason I don't think it's really that strange for me to worry that someone reviewing our evidence would think exactly the same thing. It may come off as unusual and I acknowledge that but I put so much weight on this specific factor because it crushes me to think we could be denied approval based on our relationship being considered abnormal (relative to the relationship standard where I am from). I hope that makes more sense

Hi, I understand your concern regarding how your relationship is perceived but I don’t think you should let it bother you to the extent that it is. If you love each other then that is the only thing that should matter and you should let that allow you to focus on this petition.

I don’t think you are going to be judged for the type of relationship you are in by US officials during the process as there are many people in similar positions that have either been through the process or are going through the process as well. They will be reviewing the evidence you submit, your interview answers, etc.

The K1 visa process will challenge you mentally (it did for me and my fiance at times) but it will be ok. Just take one thing at a time.

Timeline
34 minutes ago, Cranberry_anon said:

I'm so focused on it because when I announced the engagement a lot of people told me that a long distance relationship of 18 months is not a real relationship. As I said in an earlier post, these things are not well supported where I am, and for that reason I don't think it's really that strange for me to worry that someone reviewing our evidence would think exactly the same thing. It may come off as unusual and I acknowledge that but I put so much weight on this specific factor because it crushes me to think we could be denied approval based on our relationship being considered abnormal (relative to the relationship standard where I am from). I hope that makes more sense

But not everyone shares the same perspectives as you or people you know. 

💌I-129F Filed: 2024-04-03 

⚠️NOA1: 2024-04-17

RFE: 2024-06-05

⚠️NOA2: 2024-08-02

📤USCIS to NVC: 2024-08-28

📤NVC to Embassy: 2024-09-24

📥Embassy Received: 2024-09-30

⚕️Medical:

📋K1 Interview:

🪪K1 Visa Received: 

🛬POE:

💒Married:

Timeline

I, like you, was extremely, extremely concerned that any tiny minor mistake would result in a denial. That is just not the case! Agencies like Boundless like to fear monger a little bit to convince you that you need their service. My now husband and I also almost went with Boundless for that reason, until we found this forum and realized how doable it all is. As others have mentioned, though, the only requirements for a K1 visa are proving that you have met in the last 2 years, and that you are both legally free to marry. Any other doubts they may have can and will usually be settled by an RFE. As long as you prove those two things, don't stress about getting rejected - it most likely is not going to happen to you!

Now, even though others in this thread have said photos and evidence of relationship isn't necessary (which is true) I did elect to include some in my packet, as well as a letter detailing the circumstances of our meeting online and giving a timeline of all the visits we'd had to one another. (The letter was also meant to introduce/supplement the many boarding passes, passport stamps, and I94 we included.) We had been together for 9 years, so I actually felt an opposite pressure to you - explaining what took us so long! 😄 Again, none of that was necessary, but I was anxious and it made me feel better, and ultimately it didn't hurt. 

To your point about the consulate finding your 18 month relationship odd - if you peruse this forum, you'll see many K1s that were approved with much shorter relationships. It might not necessarily be socially typical in your circles, but consulates look at things a bit differently, and in this day and age they are very used to seeing online/long distance relationships. I don't see that raising any red flags at all, as long as you can prove you've physically met within the last 2 years of filing. 

I totally understand why you're anxious, but truly, it sounds like you don't have a lot to worry about! You're at a low fraud consulate. Just follow the rules and the worst thing that will happen is an RFE!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
1 hour ago, alliejourney said:

I, like you, was extremely, extremely concerned that any tiny minor mistake would result in a denial. That is just not the case! Agencies like Boundless like to fear monger a little bit to convince you that you need their service. My now husband and I also almost went with Boundless for that reason, until we found this forum and realized how doable it all is. As others have mentioned, though, the only requirements for a K1 visa are proving that you have met in the last 2 years, and that you are both legally free to marry. Any other doubts they may have can and will usually be settled by an RFE. As long as you prove those two things, don't stress about getting rejected - it most likely is not going to happen to you!

Now, even though others in this thread have said photos and evidence of relationship isn't necessary (which is true) I did elect to include some in my packet, as well as a letter detailing the circumstances of our meeting online and giving a timeline of all the visits we'd had to one another. (The letter was also meant to introduce/supplement the many boarding passes, passport stamps, and I94 we included.) We had been together for 9 years, so I actually felt an opposite pressure to you - explaining what took us so long! 😄 Again, none of that was necessary, but I was anxious and it made me feel better, and ultimately it didn't hurt. 

To your point about the consulate finding your 18 month relationship odd - if you peruse this forum, you'll see many K1s that were approved with much shorter relationships. It might not necessarily be socially typical in your circles, but consulates look at things a bit differently, and in this day and age they are very used to seeing online/long distance relationships. I don't see that raising any red flags at all, as long as you can prove you've physically met within the last 2 years of filing. 

I totally understand why you're anxious, but truly, it sounds like you don't have a lot to worry about! You're at a low fraud consulate. Just follow the rules and the worst thing that will happen is an RFE!

Thank you so much, this is very reassuring. I'm a sensitive person very much in the habit of working myself into a tizzy over hypothetical failures and I think as long as I keep what you detailed in mind then I should be alright going foward. At this point my packet is essentially exploding with everything I put in it so perhaps I have more going for me than I typically believe I do.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Cranberry_anon said:

Thank you so much, this is very reassuring. I'm a sensitive person very much in the habit of working myself into a tizzy over hypothetical failures and I think as long as I keep what you detailed in mind then I should be alright going foward. At this point my packet is essentially exploding with everything I put in it so perhaps I have more going for me than I typically believe I do.

To put it in perspective, as proof of the relationship I put 2 pictures of every visit (6 I believe), airbnb receipts and a boarding pass. That's it. Oh, and he later added the ring receipt. And we got it approved! All of the pictures were just selfies of us two. 

Submitted i-129F: 12-4-23
Received/NOA1: 01-31-24
Approved/NOA2: 06-05-24

Medical Exam: 08-06-24
Interview: 09-13-24 APPROVED
Visa in hand: 09-23-24
Moving date: 11-02-24
Married: ? (End of Nov/start of Dec?)

Hoping to move: End of 2024 🧡

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
47 minutes ago, Cranberry_anon said:

Hehe I get it.... I really do. Jaycel and I have a large age gap and that triggered all the same feelings you are experiencing about having a relationship that people in your life considered weird, abnormal, etc. Jaycel (much younger AND wiser than me as it turns out 🙂) after we had filed our I-129F said to me one day, "No one has to approve of our relationship besides you and I. Not even USCIS or the Embassy, they only have to be shown that it is real. You did your part with the petition, I'll do my part with the Embassy." (God did I ever find the right woman!) The packet I sent into USCIS for our I-129F was 110 pages LOL Do what makes you feel comfortable when submitting it and then let the process play out. You guys will be fine. Like I said in a previous post, we had only known each other for 7 months when we got engaged so don't let it stress you too much. And for God's sake, I don't care how much you have invested in Boundless, I beg you to dump them. They are only going to cause you stress and heartaches.

Edited by Edward and Jaycel

K1 Visa
EventDate

Service Center :California Service Center

Transferred?No

Consulate :Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent :2023-09-16

I-129F NOA1 :2023-09-20

I-129F RFE(s) :2024-05-20

RFE Reply(s) :2024-06-01

I-129F NOA2 :2024-06-11

NVC Received :2024-06-18

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned :2024-07-01

NVC Left :2024-07-16

Consulate Received :2024-07-18

Packet 3 Received :2024-07-28

Packet 3 Sent :2024-07-28

Interview Date :2024-08-13 icon13.gif Submit Review

Interview Result : Approved!!

Visa Received : 2024-08-20

US Entry : 2024-08-30

Marriage : 2024-10-25

Comments :

Processing Estimates/Stats :Your I-129f was approved in 265 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 328 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Cranberry_anon said:

1.  Ireland and rest of Europe is very easy for K1.  USCIS and Dept of State are looking for cases of immigration fraud. The risk of fraud from EU is extremely low.

2. You will need the minimum requirements:  US citizen petitioner, have met physically in the last 2 years, petitioner has no WAVA related criminal record, both are free to marry (single or divorced with proof of divorce) and have submitted signed statements that they intend to marry each other.

3.  Make sure the I-129F is filled out correctly.  Once the I-129F is approved, make sure that the DS-160 is filled out correctly.  Get the medical and required documents (including a more recent statement of intent to marry each other), attend the interview, and get the visa.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hey, when you're that worried and you know your relationship is legit, watch that 90 day fiancé season with Danielle and Muhammed. They got approved and for me 1000000000000 alarm bells went off within 2 minutes of seeing them. So if even they get approved, no need to worry when you are in a genuine relationship. The USCIS officer who approved that must have been very gullible!

And 18 months? That's long! My parents got married after 6 months and are still married 46 years later. Don't care about what others think or say. If it feels good, go for it. As long as you can prove you two have met and there is no red flags. I don't see it being denied. I Think you might worry a bit too much, chill!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
14 hours ago, Cranberry_anon said:

...when I announced the engagement a lot of people told me that a long distance relationship of 18 months is not a real relationship...

People are a-holes and every relationship is different.

I highly recommend getting used to hearing contrary opinions on your upcoming life together and reminding yourself of the above statement. <3

JHVISAJOURNEY (1).png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.