Evalia

Received a RFE because our marriage certificate is called a "Marriage License Certificate"

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Me and my husband got married in Utah and we received the "Marriage License Certificate" as our marriage certificate, it has the seal, date of registration and signature of the county clerk. The USCIS stated that: "You submitted a copy of your marriage license. Please submit the marriage certificate for xxx and xxx". We went to the courthouse today and they provided us with a statment that the "Marriage License Certificate" is a marriage certificate, it has the official clerk seal and signature. 
My questions are:
- Should I send them another copy of the "Marriage License Certificate" with the statment? 
- Has anyone else has had this problem? If yes, how did it turn out?  

I really got stressed out since it's the first RFE that we received. The USCIS wants some other evidence with it as well but this one has caused a major confusion for me. I appreciate all answers. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Yes. Attach it to the statement. 

Note:  In some states, a marriage license becomes a marriage certificate when signed by an officiant and the married couple stating that the marriage took place.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mongolia
Timeline

I recently got married via Utah online wedding and got a "Marriage License" completed with "Certificate of Marriage", and a note saying "This is an Official Certificate of Marriage"... I am attaching it in case it helps.  

License_Certified-313898_scan_Redacted.jpg

License_Certified-313898_scan_Redacted2.jpg

Timeline
1 minute ago, OldUser said:

As far as I understand, marriage licence is document needed to get married.

Once you marry you should get marriage certificate.

We already got married almost half a year ago. This is what we received after getting married as our „marriage certificate”

4 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

Yes. Attach it to the statement. 

Note:  In some states, a marriage license becomes a marriage certificate when signed by an officiant and the married couple stating that the marriage took place.

That's a good point.

I expect though, USCIS expects certificate similar to what @Elavod posted.

To me RFE is clear, they expect document A and OP provided document B.

Explanation may not work

1 minute ago, Evalia said:

We already got married almost half a year ago. This is what we received after getting married as our „marriage certificate”

On the day of marriage or after? I don't know how it works in Utah, but in my city I:

1) Got marriage license weeks prior to ceremony

2) Got memorable marriage certificate on day of marriage

3) Applied and got legal marriage certificate few days / weeks later.

So for actual certificate, I had to apply for it and wait. Was this the case in your situation?

Timeline
8 minutes ago, OldUser said:

On the day of marriage or after? I don't know how it works in Utah, but in my city I:

1) Got marriage license weeks prior to ceremony

2) Got memorable marriage certificate on day of marriage

3) Applied and got legal marriage certificate few days / weeks later.

So for actual certificate, I had to apply for it and wait. Was this the case in your situation?

For us it was a bit different. 
1. First we went to the courthouse for the documents 

2. We had our little ceremony, during which the same document „Marriage License Certificate” that is on my post above has been filled out by the judge, me and my husband signed it and the two witnesses. 

3. After the ceremony we had the choice to either deliver it ourselves to the courthouse or by the judge. We did it ourselves since it was way quicker than through the judge.

4. At the courthouse they took the Marriage License Certificate. We received 3 original copies with the stamps, signatures and seals. 

Edited by Evalia

31 minutes ago, OldUser said:

That's a good point.

I expect though, USCIS expects certificate similar to what @Elavod posted.

Elavod's also says marriage licence though. 

And the OP has a letter confirming that is the marriage certificate, so I'd think resubmitting it with that should be fine. 

I'd agree with people who say it should be fine to respond to RFE with marriage license and the statement.

Write a cover letter, explaining that the Marriage License functions as Marriage Certificate after consumption. Explain that you have an official statement regarding this and attach the statement.

I'd also make a scan/copy of the statement for personal records and then send the original. Normally, sending originals is not required and not even recommended, but this is an easily replaceable document and the raised seal will add credibility to its authenticity.

Make it hard for them to misunderstand, basically.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.