Melancholic Mage

Conditions Removal and SSN

18 posts in this topic

I've finally entered the USA today, October 1st, and I wanted to ask those more experienced about my next moves and to clarify the removal of conditions. 

I've read the I-751 guide here on the forum but to absolutely clarify, I must file the form 90 days before the end of my CR-1 visa? So this end date would be October 1st 2025 as I entered today, and the earliest I can file is July 1st, yes? And is this file online on USCIS or is this a paper form I need to download, print, then post? 

The border officer mentioned my Green Card should come in the mail in two weeks, but also said it can take up to two months. If I haven't received it by then I need to chase it up with USCIS. They also mentioned that my visa acted as a temp Green Card, and I can apply for my SSN with it. This confuses me in hindsight as I'm pretty sure I ticked a box during the DS-260 forms asking for a SSN and paid additional. I'm now unsure how to check this. Do I need to apply for one, or should I wait and see if one turns up? And if not, where do I go to chase this up? 

I didn't have time to ask the officer much due to rushing to catch my connecting flight to the States. Any help would be appreciated, as well as basic advice to settling in. Thanks. 

9 minutes ago, Melancholic Mage said:

I've finally entered the USA today, October 1st, and I wanted to ask those more experienced about my next moves and to clarify the removal of conditions. 

I've read the I-751 guide here on the forum but to absolutely clarify, I must file the form 90 days before the end of my CR-1 visa? So this end date would be October 1st 2025 as I entered today, and the earliest I can file is July 1st, yes? And is this file online on USCIS or is this a paper form I need to download, print, then post? 

The border officer mentioned my Green Card should come in the mail in two weeks, but also said it can take up to two months. If I haven't received it by then I need to chase it up with USCIS. They also mentioned that my visa acted as a temp Green Card, and I can apply for my SSN with it. This confuses me in hindsight as I'm pretty sure I ticked a box during the DS-260 forms asking for a SSN and paid additional. I'm now unsure how to check this. Do I need to apply for one, or should I wait and see if one turns up? And if not, where do I go to chase this up? 

I didn't have time to ask the officer much due to rushing to catch my connecting flight to the States. Any help would be appreciated, as well as basic advice to settling in. Thanks. 

No.   You cannot file to remove conditions until two years (minus 90 days) from the “resident since” date on your green card.   

There is no “additional” to pay for requesting an SSN on the visa application form.

You can call (or go in person) to the SSA to check the status of your card if you’re worried about it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
7 hours ago, Melancholic Mage said:

Not the visa expiration date, but two years less 90 days from when you became a conditional LPR.  So if you entered yesterday 10/1/24 becoming an LPR, you will submit the I751 sometime after 7/1/26.  Do not submit the I751 early (even one day early, so use a calculator or count the days carefully) as it will be rejected and you will lose the filing fee.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You may have ticked the box to have a Social Security Number assigned and sent to you, but historically, it only has worked about 50% of the time.  If you do not have a SSN letter by October 15th, then head to your local Social Security Office to enquire.  Don't go before the 14 days, as it does take some time to process the request, as the SS Administration is a separate entity from USCIS.  If the officer who processed you through at your Point of Entry did not tick the box on his or her screen, then the request will not be generated.  Happened to us, even though we specifically asked the officer about it.

You were not nor will you be charged for a Social Security Number.

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Thank you all! Must have got wires crossed thinking I had to pay for the SSN and that the visa was only valid for one year. I re-checked my visa and indeed it does state validation for two years, but the officer scratched pen over the text so I had to squint through the ink to see it in my slight defense. 

Thank you for all the advice. To help others, I managed to find the USCIS page with a calculator to help when filing the I-751. https://www.uscis.gov/forms/when-to-file-your-petition-to-remove-conditions

If I input it correctly, earliest I can file is July 3rd 26. So think I'll do it on 4th July 26 for it to be memorable and just to be safe. 

I'm looking to start my life here by nabbing a state driving license ASAP - would you in your experience recommend waiting for the green card and SSN (figured the letter would help with proof of address too) or just go for it as soon as possible? Thanks once again. Helps knowing I'm not alone figuring things out. 

38 minutes ago, Melancholic Mage said:

Thank you all! Must have got wires crossed thinking I had to pay for the SSN and that the visa was only valid for one year. I re-checked my visa and indeed it does state validation for two years, but the officer scratched pen over the text so I had to squint through the ink to see it in my slight defense. 

Thank you for all the advice. To help others, I managed to find the USCIS page with a calculator to help when filing the I-751. https://www.uscis.gov/forms/when-to-file-your-petition-to-remove-conditions

If I input it correctly, earliest I can file is July 3rd 26. So think I'll do it on 4th July 26 for it to be memorable and just to be safe. 

I'm looking to start my life here by nabbing a state driving license ASAP - would you in your experience recommend waiting for the green card and SSN (figured the letter would help with proof of address too) or just go for it as soon as possible? Thanks once again. Helps knowing I'm not alone figuring things out. 

Which state are you in? Most (40 or so) require a SSN to apply for your DL but not all. 

People have different experiences when it comes to receiving their SS cards. My husband entered on September 11 and received his in the mail on September 19. We were even planning to go to the SS office to apply for one on the 20 but luckily, we didn’t have to. Give your self some 2 weeks and if you don’t receive it, then you go and apply. Some offices require you to make an appointment while others accept walk ins. It’s been exactly 3 weeks since my husband came and we’re still waiting for his green card to arrive so you may have to give yourself some time. Most states require 2 proof of addresses to apply for drivers license so you may have to check with your state requirements.

2 hours ago, Melancholic Mage said:

Go get some mail sent in your name to the current address - you'll need it. Postcard from a friend, catalog, open a bank account and have them send you letter (or credit card offers), sign up for library card.... 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Give it a week or two for the SSN card to arrive.

we checked the box in the DS-260 and the SSN card arrived in exactly 8 calendar days after POE without any further actions from our end

Edited by etrangais

11/17/2016: Got engaged
11/28/2016: I-130 sent to Chicago IL lock box
01/12/2016: NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
7 hours ago, milimelo said:

Go get some mail sent in your name to the current address - you'll need it. Postcard from a friend, catalog, open a bank account and have them send you letter (or credit card offers), sign up for library card.... 

None of these will be accepted at a DMV as proof of residency unfortunately. I remember even getting turned away with my SSN card still attached to the address portion  😅

Timeline
Just now, OldUser said:

Bank statements should be accepted though.

Bank statements yes. That's true. Just not any letter coming from a bank or credit card company. They accepted my pay stubs in German from a German company. But a utility bill trumped my SSN card 🤣

5 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Bank statements yes. That's true. Just not any letter coming from a bank or credit card company. They accepted my pay stubs in German from a German company. But a utility bill trumped my SSN card 🤣

I don't see a reason for any other types of letters from the bank to be rejected. E.g. letters with alerts, updates, promotions. Did you have negative experience with this? 

Timeline
21 minutes ago, OldUser said:

I don't see a reason for any other types of letters from the bank to be rejected. E.g. letters with alerts, updates, promotions. Did you have negative experience with this? 

Yes when I went to get my license in Jersey. I needed two proof of residency for the DL with real ID. Had a credit card statement and I think it was something from our car loan. They didn't accepted the car loan paper. Most have a pretty clear list of things that are acceptable and will only accept the things listed. 

9 hours ago, Cw1977 said:

Which state are you in? Most (40 or so) require a SSN to apply for your DL but not all. 

Illinois. I've been digging into their requirements but some sources say they stopped issuing temporary visitor driving licenses since July this year, that undocumented immigrants can apply for a license (what the-), and even one that says you need to have been a resident for one full year before you can get a drivers license. It all seems very strange so my digging continues. 

9 hours ago, Moda25 said:

People have different experiences when it comes to receiving their SS cards. My husband entered on September 11 and received his in the mail on September 19. We were even planning to go to the SS office to apply for one on the 20 but luckily, we didn’t have to. Give your self some 2 weeks and if you don’t receive it, then you go and apply. Some offices require you to make an appointment while others accept walk ins. It’s been exactly 3 weeks since my husband came and we’re still waiting for his green card to arrive so you may have to give yourself some time. Most states require 2 proof of addresses to apply for drivers license so you may have to check with your state requirements.

Thank you, that's helpful. Fingers crossed I'll be one of those who don't need to chase the SSN. 

8 hours ago, milimelo said:

I love the library card idea but I know none of those bar the bank account would be accepted. And even then I know it's statements only, not any kind of basic acceptance letter. Surely I need proof of address to open said account so... back to square one? 

5 hours ago, etrangais said:

Give it a week or two for the SSN card to arrive.

we checked the box in the DS-260 and the SSN card arrived in exactly 8 calendar days after POE without any further actions from our end

Thank you, glad yours came quickly! Hope mine does too. 

36 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Bank statements should be accepted though.

I was planning to add my name/open a joint account with my husband. Would this solve the address issue without further barriers? 

Thank you for all your input so far everyone! It's very reassuring. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.